Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Derrick Favors

BIG RELATIVELY NEW BREAKING NEWS!!!!- (pun intended) In the last couple of days Duke has started to target the #1 overall prospect in the class of 2009- Derick Favors. All of you who want a one-and-done dominant big man- Here is Duke's chance!!! The story came out today on Scout.com

http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75...=1&nid=2430550

The article came out today. Looks like TK heading out could make a lot of wishes come true for posters on DBR. Again- BIG NEWS!

I moved this to its own thread to separate from the Taylor King comments. Feel free to discuss any and all news regarding Derrick Favors here.
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

USA Basketball & Recruiting

The Favors news (I opted not for the super terrible pun: the favorable news...) got me thinking, although this has probably been asked: Can Coach K "use" the USA Olympic team to recruit? Obviously, I am sure that he can talk about his experience with the Olympic team, but this is what I was wondering: can, say, Kobe Bryant and/or Dwight Howard (or Boozer, or LeBron, or Brand, etc.) talk to Favors about Coach K? Is that against the rules?

OJ Mayo was able to go to a basketball game and certainly talked with Carmello Anthony at some point. Are high school kids allowed to be contacted by professionals? This seems like it wouldn't be allowed by the NCAA and Myles Brand, but who knows? Are recruits allowed to contact professionals once on campus?

Time flies like an arrow
    Fruit flies like a banana

Anyone who has seen Kevin Love rip competition has to think that Favors would be a great addition. Let's hope he's not "Patrick Patterson-ing" Duke, and by that, I mean just including Duke to make his prospective school list a little more intriguing. And if you think recruits don't do that, just look at Tyreke Evans, who listed UNC long, LONG after UNC made it terribly clear they had no interest in him.

5. I'm far from knowledgeable about recruiting, but from the little I've picked up two things seem apparent:

a) From a talent standpoint he would be as great fit. He has the build and rep to be just what the doctor ordered. After this season the phrase "Few have the ability to finish with strength and efficiency that he brings" is music to my ears.

That said,

b) Given how good he is, we're getting in pretty late in the game. This could be a negative in terms of landing him (duh!) but it also makes me wonder why we weren't interested earlier. Is he a late bloomer? Were his academics not great but he's recently improved? What has changed, other than our situation, that makes him a good fit for us and us for him?

In short, are we seriously in the mix for this guy, or is this just a knee-jerk move by the staff or the fans hoping that he'll be interested and a good fit when he wasn't before?

Quote Originally Posted by BlueintheFace View Post
    Looks like TK heading out could make a lot of wishes come true for posters on DBR.
    I don't think we would be offering Favors TK's scholarship but rather Echenique's. I think the plan was always to get one natural center from this class; with Ech no longer an option, we're now moving on to Favors. Which is ironic in a way because Favors is considered the much better player, of course.

Favors had some pretty insane numbers this past season.. 23.7 points, 17.1 rebounds and 9.1 blocked shots a game.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilCastDownfromDurham View Post
    b) Given how good he is, we're getting in pretty late in the game. This could be a negative in terms of landing him (duh!) but it also makes me wonder why we weren't interested earlier. Is he a late bloomer? Were his academics not great but he's recently improved? What has changed, other than our situation, that makes him a good fit for us and us for him?

In short, are we seriously in the mix for this guy, or is this just a knee-jerk move by the staff or the fans hoping that he'll be interested and a good fit when he wasn't before?
    I don't think anything our staff does is knee-jerk. If anything, they're too deliberate. At least, that is the criticism they sometimes receive -- they take too long to evaluate players, don't put out enough offers, etc.

I'm no insider but my guess is the reason we weren't that interested in Favors sooner was because our main target up until recently was Echenique. We're still more or less following the serial recruiting strategy. Murphy says no, recruit Plumlee. Echenique says no, recruit Favors. If your question is why we went after Echenique first over Favors, I think it probably has a lot to do with Echenique's intense academic focus and likelihood to be a 4-yr player.

Quote Originally Posted by FireOgilvie View Post
    Favors had some pretty insane numbers this past season.. 23.7 points, 17.1 rebounds and 9.1 blocked shots a game.
    I think that there might be a role for him on this team.

Does anyone have information on what Favors is thinking? I only saw what scout.com states about schools that he's interested in but those could be outdated for all I know. And given the schools listed high in terms of his interest, our situation coming late into the recruiting process could have been worse. We could be going up against a UCLA or UNC instead of the close-to-home schools.

BIG RELATIVELY NEW BREAKING NEWS!!!!- (pun intended) In the last couple of days Duke has started to target the #1 overall prospect in the class of 2009- Derick Favors. All of you who want a one-and-done dominant big man- Here is Duke's chance!!! The story came out today on Scout.com

The article came out today. Looks like TK heading out could make a lot of wishes come true for posters on DBR. Again- BIG NEWS!
    There is a big difference, as we have seen lately, between targets and signees.

Quote Originally Posted by billo View Post
    We know this all too well. But you've got to be in it to win it.

Quote Originally Posted by billo View Post
    True enough- I'm just trying to stay positive tonight. So for now I am going to pretend that Duke is at the top of his list and will inevitably bring it home. This of course will lead to a national championship as our entire class of 2010 rides off into the sunset for NBA stardom/mediocrity. Favors returns and Duke wins 3 more in a row. Coach K retires after 7 championships and the all-time wins record. This is how it all plays out in my head tonight... tomorrow Favors will commit to UConn and major in Grand Larceny Studies.

Quote Originally Posted by Icarus09 View Post
    Does anyone have information on what Favors is thinking?
    Does ANYONE know what a 17 year old kid is thinking? This isn't Axis & Allies. This isn't even Stratego. This is a bunch of high school kids thinking about their future. Besides athletes, how many high school kids give this much thought to their future? OK, that was a bit of hyberbole, but you get my drift...

Time flies like an arrow
    Fruit flies like a banana

15. Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    I don't think anything our staff does is knee-jerk. If anything, they're too deliberate. At least, that is the criticism they sometimes receive -- they take too long to evaluate players, don't put out enough offers, etc.

I'm no insider but my guess is the reason we weren't that interested in Favors sooner was because our main target up until recently was Echenique. We're still more or less following the serial recruiting strategy. Murphy says no, recruit Plumlee. Echenique says no, recruit Favors. If your question is why we went after Echenique first over Favors, I think it probably has a lot to do with Echenique's intense academic focus and likelihood to be a 4-yr player.
    Thanks for the insight. I agree about the "serial recruiting" strategy and wonder if it hasn't cost us in the past. I can also see the advantage to a 4-year academic guy like Ech, but am surprised that a stud like Favors wasn't on our radar as well, given our glaring need at the position. Anyway, here's hoping this kid comes to Duke and provides the low-post compliment to the amazing lineup we've put together at the other 4 spots.

Sure, we are going after him but is there a real possibility he ends up coming here? And, as for the 1 and done thing, it shouldn't be that bad because he could be what we need to put us back on the map for other big men to come in the future and/or get us back to the final four.

The last couple of days? He's been on the radar since July of last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post

Actually, they thought they had a better chance of signing him and the fact that he will stay in school is attractive too. There are a lot of teams going after the talented Mr. Favors, but Duke offers him a great opportunity. Again, Duke has never backed off of Favors. It's more a case of him deciding to get serious about his eventual choice which spurs current talk.

FWIW, Duke is pleased with Plumlee and doesn't regret Murphy slipping away at this point. Bob Gibbons has recently ranke Plumlee ahead of Murphy.

This staff has taken a lot of knocks, but they can put together a solid class and they are out there working it.

Quote Originally Posted by watzone View Post
    The last couple of days? He's been on the radar since July of last year.
    Come on, Watzone. We both know that he was not nearly as high a priority as he was now. He might have been on the radar, but Duke was not chasing him nearly as hard as they went after other prospects.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
    Come on, Watzone. We both know that he was not nearly as high a priority as he was now. He might have been on the radar, but Duke was not chasing him nearly as hard as they went after other prospects.
    Jumbo, Favors has been on their list for a long time. I have had him listed since last July in my premoum section and he has never fallen off the radar.

They certainly went after Boynton, and Echenique harder. Plumlee is a gem after missing on Murphy. Echenique is a three or four year player while Favors is a one or two. Echenique was ready to make his choice, so he was a priority. So, sure they may have dropped him had all the players signed, but now that Taylors gone ...

Favors hasn't even trimmed his list and was long thought to have wanted to remain in Atlanta. He is just starting to take a serious look at where he might want to play college ball.

Ever wonder how a certain person might all of a sudden make a call to him? If he shows interest, then it is news. Well, he stated his interest to me during last season NBA Players Association Camp.

Here is an excerpt from my July 07 article -

"When I asked Favors of his ascension to the top he said, "It's just hard work and wanting to win." When asked what schools were on his short list, he said everybody.

He will confer with his parents and coaches, meaning both his AAU and high school coach. "If I had a dream school, it's probably (Georgia) Tech," said Favors.

Favors grew up in Atlanta and many feel it will be hard to get him north of that destination. When talking of Hewitt, Favors said, "He cool."

I then asked the rising big man about other ACC schools like Duke or UNC and he said, "They've already come in ... they've been in touch."

When asked who he talked to from UNC, he couldn't remember. I can't pronounce the name of the guy from Duke. He was referring to Wojo.
    '

Now of course Tech's Hewitt being there is up in the air and Georgia doesn't offer the hype he might desire. So what better time to make a move, or in this case stay in touch and see what he's thinking.

This is from my last 2009 Update done on February 1st, 08 -

Derrick Favors - (6-9) Atlanta, GA. South Atlanta (Strong Interest) Strong interest you say? Well, who doesn't have interest in the super talented and dominant front court player? While Duke cooled a bit back, they recently took a look at him in one of his games. Despite being a one or two year player, he would help any program. Still, I have to call him a longshot in that he seems to want to remain in his region. You never know what can happen in recruiting -- that's for sure.
    There are a couple of more names that could trickle in. More on that later.

So I beg to differ in that they are going at him at a steadily increasing pace appropriate for his recruitment. Especially with certain developments of late. Duke has more plans than some realize and they will recruit the kids that fit into their plans. Who wouldn't want a monster rebounder like Favors?
    Last edited by watzone; 04-01-2008 at 02:15 AM. Reason: Date Change