Page 5 of 32 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    boy thats tough. I think I would go with a Duke championship, just because I have always been more passionate about College Sports than pro sports. But I would LOVE to see Bobby, Chipper, and Smoltz get another ring. I might even take a Braves championship over a UGA football championship.
    My Quick Smells Like French Toast.

Braves

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    What about Pascual Perez, he of the I can't get into the stadium because I can't get out of the traffic circle?
    IIRC, his excuse was more along the lines of he got lost on 'The Perimeter' and I believe he was known for a while as 'I-285.'

3 games, 3 runs...at least the Dodgers avoided getting shutout.

Braves

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    3 games, 3 runs...at least the Dodgers avoided getting shutout.
    And 'Druw really earned a huge chunk of his $16 million or so

Quote Originally Posted by jma4life View Post
    Right now, if you could choose between one Braves world series in the next couple of years and one Duke championship, what would you go for?

I think I might actually take a Braves WS just because it would be awesome to see Smoltz, Chipper and Bobby go down with one more ring. I expect K to be a round for a lot longer so I am not as worried plus he already has three and is undoubtedly the most successful college coach of the last 30 years. Also, you know that Duke will pretty much always be a contender (minus a couple of random years) and even before K, Duke was a top ten college program.

While the Braves do have some good young guys, the Bobby era is definitely ending soon, Smoltz won't be competing too much longer and you never know with Chipper.

That said, I'd take either one in a heart beat though I'm not really expecting either. (always gotta expect the field)
    Clearly a Duke NC. Go Mets!

Quote Originally Posted by steven52682 View Post
    boy thats tough. I think I would go with a Duke championship, just because I have always been more passionate about College Sports than pro sports. But I would LOVE to see Bobby, Chipper, and Smoltz get another ring. I might even take a Braves championship over a UGA football championship.
    Man, that's tough. I'd probably go with the Braves, because Duke has more recent success (and probably no Duke title will ever top the '01 campaign for me, since I was a Duke student then). Ask me at lunch, though, and I might change my mind.
    Still though, like some of y'all, I'd love nothing more than for Tom G, Smoltzy, and Chipper to get one more, followed rather closely by Glavine, Smoltz and Maddux retiring at the same time and then going into the HOF together. If they actually do get inducted on the same day, I'll walk to Cooperstown if I have to.

Someone maybe be calling from the university shortly requesting your degree back. And yes, you'll have to pay the postage...

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    And 'Druw really earned a huge chunk of his $16 million or so
    Yeah, I keep repeating to myself 2 year contract, 2 year contract. Which means he might have a decent year next year.

I hate to be this pessimistic this early in the year - I love the way the team played over the weekend - but I'm not feeling too good about the season as a whole. did anyone watch Smoltz's start Thursday at Florida? He was awesome, as usual, but it's obvious his shoulder's not right. He's pitching through what looks to be a LOT of pain. I know he's as tough as they come, but I'm very worried he's going to break down. With Glavine already on the shelf (hopefully not for long), James up-and-down, Soriano, Moylan and Gonzalez all out of the bullpen, and Hampton .. y'know... being Hampton... our pitching could be in a LOT of trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by jma4life View Post
    Right now, if you could choose between one Braves world series in the next couple of years and one Duke championship, what would you go for?

I think I might actually take a Braves WS just because it would be awesome to see Smoltz, Chipper and Bobby go down with one more ring. I expect K to be a round for a lot longer so I am not as worried plus he already has three and is undoubtedly the most successful college coach of the last 30 years. Also, you know that Duke will pretty much always be a contender (minus a couple of random years) and even before K, Duke was a top ten college program.

While the Braves do have some good young guys, the Bobby era is definitely ending soon, Smoltz won't be competing too much longer and you never know with Chipper.

That said, I'd take either one in a heart beat though I'm not really expecting either. (always gotta expect the field)
    Fellow posters, should I cite jma4life for Destructively Negative, Trolling, or some other infraction? No way I can let this post pass without handing out a very serious infraction.

--Jason "I watch the Braves and like them to win, but I am personally invested in Duke in a way that does not come close" Evans

Duke, Braves

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Fellow posters, should I cite jma4life for Destructively Negative, Trolling, or some other infraction? No way I can let this post pass without handing out a very serious infraction.

--Jason "I watch the Braves and like them to win, but I am personally invested in Duke in a way that does not come close" Evans
    A mild public admonishment would be sufficient as you have already done. After all, you are a unc apologist at times and want them to be good

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    If they actually do get inducted on the same day, I'll walk to Cooperstown if I have to.
    This sounds like a Klemnop moment if ever I've seen one.

MARK IT DOWN.

Cheers,
    Lavabe

Braves

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    This sounds like a Klemnop moment if ever I've seen one.

MARK IT DOWN.

Cheers,
    Lavabe
    Yea, but not once did he mention Franklin St., articles of clothing or lack thereof

Braves

... If they actually do get inducted on the same day, I'll walk to Cooperstown if I have to.
    And there is a GREAT brewery there to quench your thirst when you arrive-Ommegang !
    Last edited by JasonEvans; 04-21-2008 at 06:54 PM. Reason: fixing quote tags

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    If they actually do get inducted on the same day, I'll walk to Cooperstown if I have to.

Well if you actually do have to walk you wouldn't be alone. I feel like I could no longer call myself a Braves fan if I missed that event.

Smoltz is 4 short of 3000

In his last start, Smoltz fanned 10 in five innings at Florida, the 44th time he's had double-figure K's. Now, he's on the verge of needing fewer innings than all but five pitchers -- Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez, Nolan Ryan, Curt Schilling and Roger Clemens -- to join the 3,000 club.

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/story/1045439.html
    Although Smoltz says he is energized more by matchups against the likes of Johan Santana than he is by upcoming milestones, he'll understand the significance of his accomplishment when he becomes the 16th Major Leaguer to record a 3,000th career strikeout.

"I just don't get caught up in all of it," Smoltz said. "I know I'll keep the ball and put it in a special place."

http://atlanta.braves.mlb.com/news/a...=.jsp&c_id=atl
    He faces Washington tonight. Good Luck!

Don't look now, but the Bravos are playing some ball. The pitching staff worries me some, what with about half the roster dinged up in some fashion or another. But if/when we can get Soriano and Gonzalez healthy, we've got a heck of a one-two. I'm operating under the assumption that Moylan is lost until '09. But Jorge Campillo has had several good appearances so far, Jeff Bennett is coming on, and Manny Acosta is really rounding into form after a stumble out of the gate. On top of that, Ohman, Ring, and Resop have been very good situationally.
    If we can keep Smoltz healthyish and straighten Glavine enough at least enough for him to be an innings-eater, we're looking at a top four in the rotation of Hudson-Smoltz-Glavine-Jurrjens (and frankly, Jurrjens may be the best of the bunch, though I worry about him wearing down in September). That's not a bad foursome at all. And let's not forget, the lineup is still among the best in the NL. Bravos have a squad this year, kids.

No doubt he'll get it tonight against my hapless Nats. Wily Mo ought to be good for at least 2 Ks if not more. Yuck.

Too bad the Dodgers series is over, he might have gotten those 4 K's on Andruw Jones by himself.

Quote Originally Posted by CMS2478 View Post
    Too bad the Dodgers series is over, he might have gotten those 4 K's on Andruw Jones by himself.
    I wouldn't even want Andruw on a slow pitch softball team. He'd be an easy out considering all the off-speed pitches.