Page 4 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Smile A Good Saturday

Well, if the Braves continue to pound home runs, the Braves might survive this stretch without their bullpen ace.

What on EARTH is going on with the Mets and Santana?
    Cheers,
    Lavabe

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    Well, if the Braves continue to pound home runs, the Braves might survive this stretch without their bullpen ace.

Cheers,
    Lavabe
    A bad outing (3 HRs) coupled with awful defense. Prior to yesterday, JS had about a 1.90 ERA. My team has holes - hopefully the starters will mask a bunch of them (1 through 3 strong; perhaps a turnaround start by Pelphrey as 4 this week). 150 or so games to go - only 1.5 ganes out.

Most disconcerting was JS being booed. Shea (and its fans) can turn on you quickly, but JS appears to have the inner strength and attitude to be able to ignore that.

Cheers,
    Lavabe
    its a little disconcerting to hear Raphael Soriano referred to as our "bullpen ace."

As a side - was anyone else just really unhappy we lost to Mark Redmond (Col) the other day. I mean the guy couldnt get hitters out to save his life in Atlanta - figures we would lose to him our first time seeing him.
    My Quick Smells Like French Toast.

Red face Soriano or Gonzalez

Quote Originally Posted by steven52682 View Post
    its a little disconcerting to hear Raphael Soriano referred to as our "bullpen ace."

As a side - was anyone else just really unhappy we lost to Mark Redmond (Col) the other day. I mean the guy couldnt get hitters out to save his life in Atlanta - figures we would lose to him our first time seeing him.
    Umm, the Braves' true bullpen ace, Mike Gonzalez, is also on the 15-day DL, having had surgery last year.

Uggh!

Cheers,
    Lavabe

Angry Uggh!

Glavine is injured in the first innning today.

UGGH!

How many more Braves pitchers will make it to the DL this year?

Cheers,
    Lavabe

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    That's not a problem.
    It is when the "big inning" doesn't come and you have to manufacture runs.

No cheers for the Braves? There record is 6-9. Not far off the Dodgers at 7-8. And the Bravos lead in the bottom of the second as I type...

so who is off to the better start- Chipper or Smoltz!!!

Angry The Braves' Pitcher Disabled List

The Pitcher DL now includes:
    Relievers:
    Mike Gonzalez (15-day ... until June)
    Anthony Lerew (60-day)
    Peter Moylan (15 ... soon to be out for the year)
    Rafael Soriano (15)

Starters:
    Glavine (15)
    Hampton (15)

Oh yeah ... and the active roster includes these names. Recognize any for more than one year?
    Chuck James (ugh)
    Royce Ring
    Chris Resop
    Will Ohman
    Jorge Campillo
    Blaine Boyer
    Jeff Bennett (Mr. Walk)
    Manny Acosta

It's going to be a LONG summer, unless they become healthier and more experienced.

Cheers,
    Lavabe

FWIW, Hampton was a bit of a mirage. He really just needs to retire, he was a decent pitcher in his day but that was several years ago.

Braves

The Pitcher DL now includes:
    Relievers:
    Mike Gonzalez (15-day ... until June)
    Anthony Lerew (60-day)
    Peter Moylan (15 ... soon to be out for the year)
    Rafael Soriano (15)

Starters:
    Glavine (15)
    Hampton (15)

Oh yeah ... and the active roster includes these names. Recognize any for more than one year?
    Chuck James (ugh)
    Royce Ring
    Chris Resop
    Will Ohman
    Jorge Campillo
    Blaine Boyer
    Jeff Bennett (Mr. Walk)
    Manny Acosta

It's going to be a LONG summer, unless they become healthier and more experienced.

Cheers,
    Lavabe
    Paging Mr. Garber. Is "Gasoline" Gene Garber in the house?

Paging Mr. Sutter. Is Bruce (we really need one more player well past his prime on the roster) Sutter in the house?

I'm getting a sex change so I can have Chipper Jones' babies. I'm also getting banned.

Smile

I can't recall the last time Chipper had such a fast start with his hitting. Isn't he batting 450+?

If they can survive until their pitchers come back from the DL, it may be a very interesting year for the Braves. I am just VERY weery of these 5-inning starts the Braves have been getting.

I'm glad Andruw got a useless home run today.

Cheers,
    Lavabe

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Paging Mr. Garber. Is "Gasoline" Gene Garber in the house?

Paging Mr. Sutter. Is Bruce (we really need one more player well past his prime on the roster) Sutter in the house?
    How could you forget Rick Mahler . . . or the best nickname ever . . . Senior Smoke Juan Buerenguear (sp?)

What about Pascual Perez, he of the I can't get into the stadium because I can't get out of the traffic circle?

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    What about Pascual Perez, he of the I can't get into the stadium because I can't get out of the traffic circle?
    In fairness, it wasn't a traffic circle but a circular 60-mile interstate. Still, what a truly awesome story. Here is more on Pascual, one of the stranger characters in recent MLB history.

--Jason "I am hearing that Hampton may come back in a week or so... I doubt iit" Evans

I can't recall the last time Chipper had such a fast start with his hitting. Isn't he batting 450+?
    Has there ever been a bigger lock for Player of the Month than Chipper is right now for April? I suppose he may cool off, but he is currently hitting .449 with 6 homers and 18 RBIs.

--Jason "just stay healthy, Chipper!" Evans

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    I'm getting a sex change so I can have Chipper Jones' babies. I'm also getting banned.

Chipper pulled up looking slightly injured after a double in the 6th.
    Last edited by throatybeard; 04-20-2008 at 07:43 PM.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Strong outing by Jurjens. If Hudson's last outing was an anomaly, the Braves could possibly <gasp> be set at the top of their rotation with Smoltz, Hudson, and Jurjens. If Glavine can get off the DL and be an innings eater for us that is a pretty good #4. Hopefully 5th starter by committee is relatively successful.

Glad to see Tex starting to get into the swing of things. I guess he regularly starts kind of slow - but if he starts hitting, and Chipper stays healthy and continues his Ted Williams impression I think we could get revved up for the summer!!!

Championship

Right now, if you could choose between one Braves world series in the next couple of years and one Duke championship, what would you go for?

I think I might actually take a Braves WS just because it would be awesome to see Smoltz, Chipper and Bobby go down with one more ring. I expect K to be a round for a lot longer so I am not as worried plus he already has three and is undoubtedly the most successful college coach of the last 30 years. Also, you know that Duke will pretty much always be a contender (minus a couple of random years) and even before K, Duke was a top ten college program.

While the Braves do have some good young guys, the Bobby era is definitely ending soon, Smoltz won't be competing too much longer and you never know with Chipper.

That said, I'd take either one in a heart beat though I'm not really expecting either. (always gotta expect the field)