Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Question Injury Bug?

Quote Originally Posted by duke74 View Post
    Glavine's like 90 or something, right?

Go Mets! Go Johan!
    Any word on Pedro?

Braves offense put up another big number - utilizing the big inning again. This offense looks like it is going to be very dangerous all year. Hopefully the bullpen can keep its head above water!
    My Quick Smells Like French Toast.

Smile Starting Pitching

Quote Originally Posted by steven52682 View Post
    Braves offense put up another big number - utilizing the big inning again. This offense looks like it is going to be very dangerous all year. Hopefully the bullpen can keep its head above water!
    I like Jurrjens' pitching philosophy ... as they discussed it on the radio last night, he takes an approach that's an awful lot like Greg Maddux.

Jurrjens looked stellar to me. Only one start, of course, but he looks like he has tremendous promise. I loved Martin Prado's game, too - nice job filling in for KJ.

Quote Originally Posted by Matches View Post
    Jurrjens looked stellar to me. Only one start, of course, but he looks like he has tremendous promise. I loved Martin Prado's game, too - nice job filling in for KJ.
    Was Prado filling in for KJ or are they going to have some sort of platoon going?

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    I think we're all going to have to get used to the fact that the Braves are now operating as a "small-market" francise. There's not going to be a lot of money for huge free-agent signings and it's going to be tough to retain great stars -- as the Braves retained Chipper Jones for so long -- once they achieve free agent status.

Time out for a brief discussion of "small market" teams. The Braves offer an excellent illustration of how arbitrary that designation is. It has nothing to do with the market, but with ownership and its ability to manipulate revenue sources.

Back when Ted Turner/TBS owned the Braves, they were a large-market francise, able to spend with the best of them. Technically, the team operated at a deficit, but that was only because of a sweetheart TV deal with TBS that furnished Turner's network millions of dollars of programing for almost nothing.

We see the same thing in a lot of places -- for years the Cardinals "lost" money because all stadium revenues went to another branch of the Busch empire. In Florida, they can protray the Marlins as a financial black pit, when in fact, the corporation-owned TV network (which obtained the rights to Marlin games for $1 a year) made a fortune. The Red Sox became a cash cow when they devolped a TV plan to cash in on their domination of New England.

The Braves are no longer TBS' primary source of programming. They're run by an ownership group that has demanded financial accountability. Maybe they'll make enough on Sports South to start spending again, but I doubt they'll ever match the halycon days of the 90s.

Until something changes -- until Arthur Blank buys the team or somebody else (Mark Cuban?) with money and the desire to win -- the Braves are going to have to win with kids and with a few aging stars on the cheap.

We've just got to change our expectations.
    Good write-up but one problem. Back in the 90's they could manage only 1 WS win.

I've been a Braves fan for years, I watched Ted Turner's management of the team for one game.
    In college we would go to Atlanta for games, arrive there at 7:30 for a 7:35 start, pay $6.00 and sit a dozen rows behind the dugout. I've followed them since the time, using a Lewis Gizzard phrase, you could call the stadium, ask what time the game starts and they'd say "that depends, what time can you get here?" Since the time that we were out of the running by April.

I've suffered through the lean times and I've enjoyed the good times. My expectations won't change...i expect WS flags going up around The Ted.

Was Prado filling in for KJ or are they going to have some sort of platoon going?
    KJ has a sore knee that bothers him off and on, and has been acting up this week.

Salvation

I'm sitting in my room starting to get sad knowing that basketball will be over this weekend and then DBR will start to wind down. It makes me even more sad to know that the Braves have kicked off the season and I won't be able to watch much now that they will no longer on TBS and I get the saddest knowing that there is nowhere like DBR for me to read what others think about my Braves. So in all this sadness I head over to the off topic board for the first time . . . and there it is. People on DBR talking about the Braves!!! My spring and summer are looking a lot brighter!

Quote Originally Posted by kmspeaks View Post
    I'm sitting in my room starting to get sad knowing that basketball will be over this weekend and then DBR will start to wind down. It makes me even more sad to know that the Braves have kicked off the season and I won't be able to watch much now that they will no longer on TBS and I get the saddest knowing that there is nowhere like DBR for me to read what others think about my Braves. So in all this sadness I head over to the off topic board for the first time . . . and there it is. People on DBR talking about the Braves!!! My spring and summer are looking a lot brighter!
    The Talking Chop website is pretty good for following the Braves online.

vintage Braves

c. 1978 during one of many losses, courtesy of Skip Carey(sp?):

Setting: Braves losing about 11-1(or worse), late in the game with oh, about 300 fans in attendance and Skip and Ernie having not much else to talk about on the relatively new cable network, TBS. Mrs. Devildeac and I watching on our illegally connected cable TV and this is what we hear:

So, Mr. Broccoli, Mr. Cabbage and Mr. Cauliflower are crossing Peachtree St./Dr. (or whatever) and a pick-up barrels around the corner injuring our poor pedestrians. They all go to the hospital and Mssrs. Cabbage and Cauliflower are treated and released but return shortly to check on their friend, Mr. Broccoli who has just emerged from surgery. The surgeon appears and says he has some good news and some bad news. The friends ask for the good news first and the surgeon relates the story of a successful procedure. "Well, what about the bad news?", the friends ask. The surgeon pauses and then says, "well, I am afraid he is going to be a vegetable for the rest of his life."

Ba-dum-bum. Yes, folks, that was Superstation TBS and Braves baseball in the late 70's. Sad, sad, sad. Even worse, I guess, is that I STILL remember that .

The Chief

My most memorable moment watching the Braves came in the early 70s when guys like Rico Carty were playing and Hank Aaron was sitting in the dugout between at bats chainsmoking. We were sitting in the (almost empty) upper deck in left field, in fair territory, drinking beer and enjoying ourselves.

We noticed three little kids (maybe ten years old) who were spending a lot of time leaning over the railing, looking down on Chief Nokahoma...and giggling alot. Primarily because they were pouring Coke down onto the Chief. They'd giggle, run around, pour some more Coke on the Chief, and everyone was having a good time. Except for The Chief.

At one point we noticed the kids are leaning WAY over the railing, as they seemingly couldn't find the Chief.

This was because the Chief was running full tilt down the aisle next to me, Coke dripping from his feathers (he was wet as hell) and he was one pissed off seven and a half foot tall (including the ample feathers, of course) Chief.
    The kids were still leaning over the railing looking for the Chief when he tapped them on the shoulder, and I think all three of them nearly passed out from fright. And the Chief was in a foul, foul mood. For a moment I thought he was going to toss those kids down onto the teepee. A fine time in Fulton County Stadium indeed.

wow - Hampton scratched from his start - a strained pectoral muscle. Shocking!

Braves fans are always welcome

wow - Hampton scratched from his start - a strained pectoral muscle. Shocking!
    Talking chop has a great poll "What's your favorite Mike Hampton injury?"

bullpen giving me grey hairs already - and its only th 4th game.

Smile Except...

bullpen giving me grey hairs already - and its only th 4th game.
    Oddly enough, Soriano was DYNAMITE in the 9th inning.

Well we're four games in and the Braves have outscored their opponents 28-23, but have lost three of those four by one run. Two of these L's have been in extra innings which has also depleted our bullpen for the time being.

On top of this Hampton strains a pectoral muscle. Maybe we should start a pole to see what his next injury will be.

Now the Mets come to town for a three game series. I think Atlanta needs to take 2 out of 3 from them just to help them psychologically. I know it's early, but you don't won't to be in a deep hole right of the bat.
    "The future ain't what it used to be."

If I were Bobby Cox I would have just told Hampton to hit the road after last night. "Yeah Mike, we know you're under contract, and we'll keep paying you... but just please leave and stop wasting our time."

This is just beyond ridiculous. Injured warming up in the bullpen?

Quote Originally Posted by Matches View Post
    If I were Bobby Cox I would have just told Hampton to hit the road after last night. "Yeah Mike, we know you're under contract, and we'll keep paying you... but just please leave and stop wasting our time."

This is just beyond ridiculous. Injured warming up in the bullpen?
    Any idea how much longer his contract is?

???

Are they not televising ANY games on TBS anymore. If so that really sucks.