Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22
  1. #1

    Duhon article from ESPN the Mag

    http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?id=3313506

    I found this on ESPN. Basically it's talking about duhon and his attitude and how he isnt "good enough" to be acting bad. Also claims the main reason he is in the pros is because of who he played for in college not his abilities.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by dukeblue1215 View Post
    http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?id=3313506

    I found this on ESPN. Basically it's talking about duhon and his attitude and how he isnt "good enough" to be acting bad. Also claims the main reason he is in the pros is because of who he played for in college not his abilities.

    That wasn't the point of the column at all. It basically talks about understanding what Duhon is going through -- how everyone has been in a tough job situation. He doesn't condone how Chris has acted in Chicago, but he doesn't come down on him either. The column is mostly about life, not basketball. To highlight the sections you did is either disingenuous or simply an example of missing the point.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Pensacola, FL
    I don't like the comment that says he went to Durham to "feel important again, if only for half a day." It's a shame; only a few years ago he was a big key off the bench in the playoffs, and now all this is going on.

  4. #4
    I agree that i did miss the point a lot, but there were still a few unnecessary shots at Duhon.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by godukerocks View Post
    I don't like the comment that says he went to Durham to "feel important again, if only for half a day." It's a shame; only a few years ago he was a big key off the bench in the playoffs, and now all this is going on.
    If Chris can get his well-documented partying in order and focus on hoops, there's no reason he can't feel important again with a new team next year.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Pensacola, FL
    Quote Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
    If Chris can get his well-documented partying in order and focus on hoops, there's no reason he can't feel important again with a new team next year.
    He's had many big games, all proving he can play at this level. I hope he lands in the right spot.

    Is there anywhere that has Luol's take on the subject?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Durham, NC

    Much as I hate to say it,

    Quote Originally Posted by godukerocks View Post
    I don't like the comment that says he went to Durham to "feel important again, if only for half a day." It's a shame; only a few years ago he was a big key off the bench in the playoffs, and now all this is going on.
    This is not something that has happened overnight. Chris has slept through some Sunday morning practices since he arrived in Chicago. I have seen pictures of him out partying hard... and I've wanted to shake him and say, "Chris, be serious about this..." He partied hard at Duke... but maybe just didn't get caught. And partying has been documented since he's been in Chicago.

    Here's hoping that Chris gets a new contract with a new team. But if he doesn't get some insight into his self-destructive behavior, he's going to have the same old problem there.
    DukeDevilDeb

  8. #8

    Duhon

    Maybe a change will be good for him. I've thought all year that Duhon would be a perfect fit in Orlando. Imagine if they had a point guard that could actually run an offense and get guys the ball in a scoring position not to mention he is a great defender. Jameers inability to defend the point is one of the main reasons that JJ can't get time off the bench. When JJ does get in the game, Jameer never looks for him or anybody really. With Jameer in Orlando, JJ won't play. Honestly, I could probably get 5.7 assists per game with R.Lewis, Hedo, and Dwight Howard on my team. Any city that gets him will be rewarded, he has to be one of the top NBA players that are active with charities.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Quote Originally Posted by godukerocks View Post
    He's had many big games, all proving he can play at this level. I hope he lands in the right spot.

    Is there anywhere that has Luol's take on the subject?
    I'm here in Chicago and Luol stays pretty much underground. This has been even moreso the case since the non-trade for Kobe earlier this year. Luol has been targeted by many Bulls fans and media, not so much for his play (though there's been some of that, saying he's not a #1 option) but primarily because it was widely reported that Paxson wouldn't part with Deng in any trade.

    These fans and media also conveniently ignore the widespread reports that Bryant refused to come to Chicago if Deng wasn't going to be there. One would think that fact would give Deng some credibility with Bulls fans, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

    Bryant certainly isn't going anywhere now. Deng may not be a long-term fit in Chicago as the team will likely be blown up while Paxson(if he's not canned by then) makes a push for Dwayne Wade when Wade's contract is up, which I believe is at the end of 2009.

  10. Quote Originally Posted by dukeblue1215 View Post
    http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?id=3313506

    I found this on ESPN. Basically it's talking about duhon and his attitude and how he isnt "good enough" to be acting bad. Also claims the main reason he is in the pros is because of who he played for in college not his abilities.

    I disagree with your take on the article -- I thought it was actually quite sympathetic to Duhon's situation. The article acknowledged that Duhon didn't act professionally in complaining about his situation (which I think even Duke fans can agree on), but the main message was that Duhon's experience is not much different than what we normal working stiffs experience. We want to matter in what we do, regardless of how much we are getting paid.

    If the article really wanted to trash Duhon, for example, it could harp on how Duhon was a party animal.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    New Orleans
    Quite a different take on Chris in the latest ESPN the Magazine. They're saying that he is indeed at the center of the Bulls' chemistry problems, but not for any of his shortcomings. Apparently the Bulls' players think Chris is the team's best point guard and when the coaching staff -- first Skiles and then Boylan -- began reducing his minutes, due to off-court whatever, the players started to lose confidence in the coaches.

    As someone here pointed out a little while back -- whatever Chris's off-court nocturnal habits are, the fact is that for four years the Bulls have won when he is in the starting lineup, and don't when he isn't.
    Last edited by dkbaseball; 04-22-2008 at 09:13 PM.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
    If Chris can get his well-documented partying in order and focus on hoops, there's no reason he can't feel important again with a new team next year.
    Maybe a trade to Salt Lake City would be in order? I dare him to stay out past midnight there.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Hudson Valley

    Salt Lake City

    Quote Originally Posted by phaedrus View Post
    Maybe a trade to Salt Lake City would be in order? I dare him to stay out past midnight there.
    Hey - I have been to a number of scientific meetings in Salt Lake City - (NSF Ocean Sciences likes Salt Lake City for workshops because it is relatively cheap to get to and is neutral ground for sea-going scientists). There are several very good brew pubs there - although I actually don't know how late they are open (I am usually still working on East Coast time).

    Jim

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Deeetroit City
    Quote Originally Posted by phaedrus View Post
    Maybe a trade to Salt Lake City would be in order? I dare him to stay out past midnight there.
    It is called camping!

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Cabbagetown, Atlanta, GA
    I thought it was a good article and very sympathetic towards Chris. I can't say that I agree with the part about Chris only being in the league b/c of who he played for in college. He was an All-ACC player with lightening quick feet on D and turned out as a second round draft pick. Apparently he showed he deserved a contract.

    I understand Chris's frustration, but I hope he curbs his partying. He's probably actually not good enough to bring baggage to a team, and if he has the partying stuff on top of the sulking over PT, some teams may lose interest. The article makes it seem like he is well thought of by his teammates. I also know he is involved in charity work. Those are both big positives and may sway an NBA team to want Duhon over another player. The partying might negate these positives though.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by dkbaseball View Post
    Quite a different take on Chris in the latest ESPN the Magazine. They're saying that he is indeed at the center of the Bulls' chemistry problems, but not for any of his shortcomings. Apparently the Bulls' players think Chris is the team's best point guard and when the coaching staff -- first Skiles and then Boylan -- began reducing his minutes, due to off-court whatever, the players started to lose confidence in the coaches.

    As someone here pointed out a little while back -- whatever Chris's off-court nocturnal habits are, the fact is that for four years the Bulls have won when he is in the starting lineup, and don't when he isn't.
    I could see the players thinking Duhon is the best pure point guard on the team. He is. Gordon is a gunner. Hinrich is a combo guard. Hughes is a wing, as is Sefalosha. The reason Duhon is not playing has nothing to do with whether or not he's the best pure point guard.

    There's a LOT wrong with the Bulls right now. Prior to the Ben Wallace trade, they already had a jumbled backcourt picture. They had a very undersized shooting guard who is essentially a streak shooter, is careless with the ball, and doesn't play defense (Gordon). They had a combo guard who plays hard defensively but isn't quick enough to guard the quicker point guards and isn't tall enough to guard the bigger shooting guards, and isn't consistent enough offensively (Hinrich). They had a prototypical young wing player with size and athleticism but hasn't figured out how to make a consistent impact offensively (Sefalosha). And they had Duhon - a good defensive player and an unselfish floor general who struggles with consistency in his shooting.

    It's a bad mix for Duhon. Duhon can't play next to Gordon for extended minutes because the combination is too small. Duhon can't play next to Hinrich for extended minutes because there wouldn't be enough of a scoring punch (and the Bulls are completely reliant on perimeter scoring) AND because Hinrich wears down when he has to play bigger shooting guards all game. And Duhon can't play next to Sefalosha because neither Duhon nor Sefalosha can be relied upon for any kind of scoring at this point.

    If the Bulls don't make major changes this offseason, then Paxson should be fired. He already made a mistake by not making a move in one of the recent seasons, when he had stockpiled expendable tradable assets and cap space. Now, he's running out of tradable assets, and the cap space has gone away, and the team has regressed. They still are undersized and inconsistent on the perimeter. They still lack a go-to scorer. They still have no consistent offensive presence in the post. It's frustrating.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    This is an example of why I dont support the NBA - I detest the whole culture of the league. Newsflash to the GMs: If a player doesn't want to follow the rules, then LET HIM GO! There are thousands of players all over the world who would follow the rules, work hard, and give 110%. No need to kiss anybody's rear end.

    Newsflash to CDu: If you don't like the team or rules of the NBA, then go to Europe, South America, or Asia to play. All he has to do is think about his former teammate J-Will, and think about what he'd give to be back in his prime and to be able to compete again...

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Durham, NC

    Where is it?

    Could someone put up a link to this?

    Thanks.
    DukeDevilDeb

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Cabbagetown, Atlanta, GA

    Question

    Quote Originally Posted by DukeDevilDeb View Post
    Could someone put up a link to this?

    Thanks.
    A link to what? A link to the article? It's in the first post.

    I just checked it and it still works.

  20. #20

    Link

    I think hes referring to the link dbaseball mentioned about how many players on the Bulls want Duhon to start.

Similar Threads

  1. ESPN article on Quin
    By sue71 in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-25-2008, 11:45 PM
  2. Great ESPN article about Battier
    By nicktonyg22 in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-18-2008, 05:02 PM
  3. ESPN/Jon Pessah Article
    By slower in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 71
    Last Post: 12-06-2007, 12:10 PM
  4. J.J-ESPN Insider Article
    By Battery in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 08-13-2007, 01:04 PM
  5. JJ - ESPN Article
    By BlueDevilBaby in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-15-2007, 12:45 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •