Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wii Question

Wii Question

Ii bought a Wii this wiikend.

If I had to get any one game, what should it be and why?

People really love guitar hero 3. My boy has it and the game is quite addictive even to a dad like myself.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Ii bought a Wii this wiikend.

If I had to get any one game, what should it be and why?
    I love tiger woods golf - whether you are a golfer or not.
    My Quick Smells Like French Toast.

Super Mario Galaxy is possibly the greatest game ever made in terms of broad appeal.

I have a Wii. The games I have that I play the most are Guitar Hero 3 and Super Smash Bros. Brawl. Smash Bros. is an amazing game to play with friends. I also recommend Mario Kart Wii (which comes out April 27th). You get those games, I guarantee all your free time will be gone
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

Quote Originally Posted by Cavlaw View Post
    Super Mario Galaxy is possibly the greatest game ever made in terms of broad appeal.
    Look out! A new moderator?!?!

I really like Madden on Wii, but I'm a big fan of sports games. The use the remote is a lot of fun for football moves.

Quote Originally Posted by Cavlaw View Post
    Agree completely. It's a great game.

Wii Sports shouldn't be overlooked, and you can't beat the price.

Quote Originally Posted by ugadevil View Post
    Oh, nice! Congrats, Cav!

Quote Originally Posted by blazindw View Post
    I have a Wii. The games I have that I play the most are Guitar Hero 3 and Super Smash Bros. Brawl. Smash Bros. is an amazing game to play with friends. I also recommend Mario Kart Wii (which comes out April 27th). You get those games, I guarantee all your free time will be gone
    And another moderator!?!?! Everywhere I look, there's a new mod. This makes me nervous about my shameless PW'ing attempts.

Anyone played the Bass Fishing game on Wii? It can get old because you can only catch fish so many different ways, but it's fun to use the remotes as fishing rods.

Quote Originally Posted by ugadevil View Post
    Don't worry. I hear I'm tough, but unfair.

Guitar Hero is a fine game, but nothing is Wii-specific about it. Wii Sports, Mario Galaxy, and Smash Bros take advantage of the WiiMote better.

I'm partial to Mario Party 8 myself (however you need a hypercompetitive group to make it fun)

Quote Originally Posted by HaveFunExpectToWin View Post
    Guitar Hero is a fine game, but nothing is Wii-specific about it. Wii Sports, Mario Galaxy, and Smash Bros take advantage of the WiiMote better.

I'm partial to Mario Party 8 myself (however you need a hypercompetitive group to make it fun)
    Very true...I love me some Wii Sports Tennis!

depends...

For multiple players:
    Super Smash Bros. Brawl is great, but probably depends on the age of the players... I'd say it has the greatest appeal to males 10-30 range (i.e. maturity level of a 10 year old), but YMMV
    I've also heard good things about WarioWares and Rayman Raving Rabbids

For single player:
    I agree with other posters about Super Mario Galaxy - amazingly intuitive 3D control and graphics make this game awesome, though AFAIK you can only play by yourself.
    Trauma Center - Second Opinion is another pretty decent option.

For family:
    WiiSports is probably as good as you'll get, and WiiPlay is another good option - especially since it comes with an additional Wiimote.

Another upcoming game that I would file under "family" and "group" is Mario Kart Wii, coming April 27.

My son who turns 13 today got a Wii last July, so I can give you the perspective of a 12-13 year old kid who BTW was already a Nintendo fan (GameCube and GameBoy).

Our entire family (to a degree) enjoys Wii sports. It's a great all-ages game because everyone already knows "how" to play those games. Try playing doubles tennis against yourself (OK I wouldn't try it, but I told my kid to try it and it was pretty amusing to watch) I got pretty good at bowling with my left arm after my shoulder surgery back in January, and now my physical therapist says Wii bowling with my right arm is probably good therapy for the shoulder!

I gave my son Mario Galaxy for Christmas and he loves that. I don't know much about it, having successfully avoiding being roped into playing.

We got Brawl the night it came out (I went almost straight from the loss to UNC in Cameron to the GameStop store) My son was a huge fan of Melee (the somewhat similar GameCube one) so this was a natural for him. I think this is his favorite right now. We have pre-ordered Mario Kart, too.

I thought my son was going to want Guitar Hero because he had played it on his cousin's PS2 and he actually plays real guitar also, but he hasn't really seemed to want it much. He has also not been asking/saving up for the other sports games people have mentioned - he got the Soccer one I think just because when he initially got the Wii there wasn't much else out and he was dying to buy something. He played it a lot when he got it and sometimes plays it when friends come over who want to try it, but really Galaxy and Brawl are the big favorites right now.

Quote Originally Posted by merry View Post
    Try playing doubles tennis against yourself (OK I wouldn't try it, but I told my kid to try it and it was pretty amusing to watch)
    I like playing both players on the same side, so each hand controls one player. This gives me a lot more control, since if the front guy misses, the other guy doesnt fall down. The only downside is if you play multiple player mode, you don't get points once you're a pro (1000 pts).

I tried playing one hand against the other, to see if I can get some sort of a volley going... it dosen't work too well on a non-widescreen, because of the split screen.

Many thanks for the responses (and I look forward to more). Y'all are giving me some great starting ideas.

-- OPK

Another vote for Galaxy

My 8 year old son and I have been having an immense amount of fun with Super Mario Galaxy as well. It really makes great use of the motion control and is wonderfully varied.

I would also recommend the latest iteration of the Metroid Prime series called Metroid Prime Corruption. It is a first person shooting perspective but is really not all that violent and also makes great use of the motion controls.

Smile hmmm...

I definitely like Brawl, Galaxy, and Party. I also like Madden. A few of the ones I like that weren't mentioned include Resident Evil 4, Zelda: Twilight Princess, and Metroid Prime 3: Corruption. The Zelda game might be my favorite Wii game yet.

My personal choices:
    Tiger Woods Golf 08 - I loved playing the golf on Wii Sports, but I wanted more courses. I am not a golfer, however, after playing this game so much, I am definitely wanting to give it a shot.

Marvel Ultimate Alliance - We had the game on PS2, but I enjoy playing it more on Wii because of the use of the controls.

We got Mario Super Galaxy because I had read all the reviews that said that this was the game to get - gotta admit, not much of a fan of it - neither I nor my 2 sons.

By the way - my kids love the Zelda: Twilight Princess game - I just haven't played it all.

I really liked Twilight Princes (it was my avatar here for awhile), but I sold it back after I beat it. It's so long compared to other Zelda games that I didn't think I would ever have the energy to replay it.

I do want to try metroid prime, and y'all now have me excited about Tiger Woods Golf '08.

Oh, I also dig the crossbow training game that comes with the zapper housing.