NBA All-Star roster...

Continuing on an idea in an earlier thread, let's look at the NBA quality of Blue Devils who left early.
    Elton Brand, super-star, currently injured. Who knows how good he will be when he comes back from his ruptured Achilles, but he was an All-Star before he went down, and a constant double-double machine.
    Carlos Boozer, super-star, currently rocking opponents withe Jazz. Double-double machine and will certainly be an All-Star into the future.
    Mike Duleavy, star, currently blossoming withe Pacers. After a slow start to his NBA career, Mike is showing the versatility and polish that his game was predicted to have. Could be an All-Star in the East if his play continues to improve that way it has.
    Luol Deng, star, currently improving the Bulls. Versatility and niiiiiiiice describe his game well. Could very well be an All-Star in the East soon.
    Corey Maggette, star, currently playing excellent ball sans Brand in LA. The injury bug has definitely taken a liking to Maggette, but he is still an exciting slasher. If he had stayed injury free, he very well could have been an AS by now, he conceivably could be one still.
    William Avery, no longer in the NBA. Was not able to convince anyone to give him a 2nd contract after a few mediocre years withe T-Wolves.
    Jason Williams, no longer in the NBA due to a horrible motorcycle accident. Could maybe have become an AS in the East.
    Shavlik Randolph, sub for the 76ers. Made the Sixers against the odds and has finally recovered from an injured ankle to pick up some minutes off the bench.
    McRoberts, sub for the Blazers. Has only played sporadically.
    Shaun Livingston, currently injured, but on the roster for the Clippers.
    Kris Humphries, was in the NBA, not sure of current status.
    I see a trend here, the guys who are leaving early now are less successful, and IMHO less likely to be successful, than the "pioneers" of leaving early. As I commented before, I think that guys are being fed a by-product of media hype of the select few who have been successful.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInBrasil View Post
    Continuing on an idea in an earlier thread, let's look at the NBA quality of Blue Devils who left early.
    Elton Brand, super-star, currently injured. Who knows how good he will be when he comes back from his ruptured Achilles, but he was an All-Star before he went down, and a constant double-double machine.
    Carlos Boozer, super-star, currently rocking opponents withe Jazz. Double-double machine and will certainly be an All-Star into the future.
    Mike Duleavy, star, currently blossoming withe Pacers. After a slow start to his NBA career, Mike is showing the versatility and polish that his game was predicted to have. Could be an All-Star in the East if his play continues to improve that way it has.
    Luol Deng, star, currently improving the Bulls. Versatility and niiiiiiiice describe his game well. Could very well be an All-Star in the East soon.
    Corey Maggette, star, currently playing excellent ball sans Brand in LA. The injury bug has definitely taken a liking to Maggette, but he is still an exciting slasher. If he had stayed injury free, he very well could have been an AS by now, he conceivably could be one still.
    William Avery, no longer in the NBA. Was not able to convince anyone to give him a 2nd contract after a few mediocre years withe T-Wolves.
    Jason Williams, no longer in the NBA due to a horrible motorcycle accident. Could maybe have become an AS in the East.
    Shavlik Randolph, sub for the 76ers. Made the Sixers against the odds and has finally recovered from an injured ankle to pick up some minutes off the bench.
    McRoberts, sub for the Blazers. Has only played sporadically.
    I see a trend here, the guys who are leaving early now are less successful, and IMHO less likely to be successful, than the "pioneers" of leaving early. As I commented before, I think that guys are being fed a by-product of media hype of the select few who have been successful.
    Why exactly are Shaun Livingston and Kris Humphries mentioned here? They never put on a Duke uniform and have no connection to Duke whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by jipops View Post
    Why exactly are Shaun Livingston and Kris Humphries mentioned here? They never put on a Duke uniform and have no connection to Duke whatsoever.
    That's what I was thinking too. Especially with Kris Humphries, who actually did play 1 year of college ball at Minnesota.

4. Quote Originally Posted by jipops View Post
    Also, it's worth mentioning that JWill, Boozer, and Dunleavy completed enough college credits to graduate after their junior seasons.

Also, Shav left early because he was clearly frustrated during his career at Duke. McBob was equally frustrated and in all honesty, had a higher draft stock out of HS than he did when he left Duke, and he seemed to want to leave before his stock slipped further. In all honestly, I don't think he ever truly wanted to play college ball.

All things considered, I think Will Avery is the lone Duke early-exit-flaw. He clearly needed more time in school and he certainly disappeared once he left. However, generally speaking, I think Duke has done much better than most other schools with the eventual destinies of early-exiters.

Also worth mentioning, Duke was the last of all the marquee hoops schools to lose a single player to early entry; it first happened in '99 after the failed national title attempt.

Actually . . .

I think that only JWill and Boozer finished their degrees a year early. Correct me if I am wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by dukemath View Post
    I think that only JWill and Boozer finished their degrees a year early. Correct me if I am wrong.
    Just did a bit of googling on this, and I think you're right.

Thanks for checking

I was a grad student at Duke at the time that all three left. One of the reasons we thought Dunleavy might stay was that he hadn't finished his degree like the other two.

I still remember watching the NBA draft and being shocked that Boozer fell to the second round. I thought to myself, "Boy, did he make a mistake." Turns out I was wrong.

8. Quote Originally Posted by dukemath View Post
    Yes, that's what my original post said: "it's worth mentioning that JWill, Boozer, and Dunleavy completed enough college credits to graduate after their junior seasons."

I was just looking at Duke NBA players yesterday. By my count, Duke now has MORE NBA players than UNC! They are also better.

So much for the Duke-NBA myth.

10. Quote Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
    I was just looking at Duke NBA players yesterday. By my count, Duke now has MORE NBA players than UNC! They are also better.

So much for the Duke-NBA myth.
    Going into the season Duke and UNC were tied with 12 NBA'ers each.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInBrasil View Post

Just thought I would drop you a line and let you know that Kris Humphries and Shaun Livingstone never played for Duke.
    Last edited by -jk; 03-31-2008 at 11:04 AM. Reason: fixed quote tag

Quote Originally Posted by TwoDukeTattoos View Post
    Going into the season Duke and UNC were tied with 12 NBA'ers each.
    True, but Duke currently has 12 players in the NBA - UNC has 10. David Noel is no longer on a NBA roster and Jeff McGinnis was waived by the Bobcats.

both livingston and humphires had committed to duke...

liv went str8 to the clipps and hump stayed near mommy for a year...

Quote Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
    True, but Duke currently has 12 players in the NBA - UNC has 10. David Noel is no longer on a NBA roster and Jeff McGinnis was waived by the Bobcats.
    are you counting dahntay jones? i think he's out...

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    are you counting dahntay jones? i think he's out...
    Grant
    Elton
    Corey
    Shane
    Mike D
    Carlos
    Luol
    Duhon
    Shav
    Shelden
    JJ
    McRoberts

Those are the 12 currently in the NBA.

Quote Originally Posted by jipops View Post
    My thoughts 100%.

sagegrouse

Starting five

Who would be on your starting five on our 12 man roster?

Point forward: G.Hill PG back-up: Duhon
    SG: Deng SG back-ups: Maggette
    SF: Dunleavy SF back-up: Battier
    PF: Boozer PF back-up: Willaims
    C: Brand

Reserves: Redick, Shav and McRoberts

No true center, but plenty of size. Might need to sign Ewing, JWill and Dahntay since technically you get 15 spots.

Quote Originally Posted by MIKESJ73 View Post

No true center, but plenty of size. Might need to sign Ewing, JWill and Dahntay since technically you get 15 spots.
    Battier backing up Dunleavy - you can't be serious!

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Beem View Post
    Battier backing up Dunleavy - you can't be serious!
    If the Dunleavy we've seen in the past month is the new permanent Dunleavy, it's hard to leave him out of a starting five. However, Battier has been also been great during the Houston's recent success. I'd say that it would depend on what type of style you play. Dunleavy is instant offense when he's on. Battier is the shut-down defender that takes the other team's best offensive player.

Quote Originally Posted by MIKESJ73 View Post

Have to agree with an earlier poster: Battier starts no question. If anything Dunleavy might move to SG and deng would sit. I think the call is between those two.