Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by MHTorringjan View Post
    As much as I've been disappointed in some of the games' outcomes this year, I'm pretty excited about next year.

...Just give her some time to get her players in place and a couple of recruiting seasons, and I think we'll be just as good as we were under Goestenkors, if not better. Plus, her visibility and charisma are doing wonders for the image of the program, IMO.
    Regardless of how well McCallie can coach, her stated disinterest in recruiting is very troubling. This attitude is in stark contrast with G who was a recruiting machine. McCallie's top recruit for 2008 had already committed under G. Her 2009 and 2010 recruiting classes will tell a lot about the future of this program. Alleva says McCallie was hired to take Duke to the "next level." Do not be surprised if Duke women fans hold her to that standard.
    As far as the image of the program goes, it is at rock bottom right now among many dedicated fans. There are a lot of rumors out there and obviously some very real problems exist. Quoting Mechelle Voepel from ESPN's NCAA Tournament notebook:
    "With the Blue Devils, we'll have to see what shakes out in the offseason for a program that had some turmoil behind the scenes with a new coach. Joanne P. McCallie and some of the Blue Devils have to work -- and it shouldn't all fall on the players -- to mend fences. Are they up for it?"
    Obviously, Voepel places part of the blame on McCallie.

Quote Originally Posted by JG Nothing View Post
    Alleva says McCallie was hired to take Duke to the "next level." Do not be surprised if Duke women fans hold her to that standard.
    I had the opportunity to speak with her before the season and she is holding herself to that standard.

As much as I've been disappointed in some of the games' outcomes this year, I'm pretty excited about next year.

In contrast to some of the previous posters' comments, I actually thought that we looked good on defense this year, with the notable exception of the UNC games and the UConn game at the beginning of the year (but again, that was depleted with injuries). And as much as I want us to always beat Carolina (GTHCGTH), they're a damned talented team and you're not going to keep them down every time.

I most certainly don't want Coach P to be on the hot seat after only two seasons, because not only has she shown the ability to coach in big-time games (think the close losses to Tenn and at Maryland, which was closer than 15 points until the FT's at the end, and the wins over Rutgers and Maryland), but she has proven that she can take the situations that the game gives her and work with them. Not making it to the Final Four every season is not a reason to skewer a coach, regardless of the situation or location. Just give her some time to get her players in place and a couple of recruiting seasons, and I think we'll be just as good as we were under Goestenkors, if not better. Plus, her visibility and charisma are doing wonders for the image of the program, IMO.

Personally, I'm looking forward to seeing Jasmine, Joy, Chante, Krystal, and Abby (assuming she can get herself out of this slump she's been in all season), because with the notable exception of Abby, they all showed significant improvement over the course of the season. If Jasmine can become a consistent scorer and distributor like she showed flashes of this season, and Chante continues to develop as she has during this season (and it'd be nice if Krystal could work on her post moves over the summer), I think we'll be in the top 5 for the entirety of the season next year, and in the running for the NC again.

Anyway, that was a long post, thanks for everybody who read it. :-)

M.H.
    I take exception to your attack on Abby, and instead of repeating myself I'll link back to my post: http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/...5&postcount=17

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedawg View Post
    I take exception to your attack on Abby, and instead of repeating myself I'll link back to my post: http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/...5&postcount=17
    No, I didn't really mean it as an attack, merely as a critique of my perception of her play this season. My perception of her play this past season is partly due to the alteration of her role on the team. Certainly, I agree that she has diversified her abilities and improved in terms of rebounding and assisting and likely certain intangibles, and I agree that there is a reason behind the decline in point production, which could be linked to the new system. But at the same time, the decline in point production (and not only production, but shooting percentage, which is likely the more important statistic of the two) and the rumors of disagreements behind the scenes are troubling.

JG, that's a good point that you bring up about the rumors of turmoil, I had only started hearing about those around the time of the tournament, and was really basing my opinion on the attitude at the beginning of the season. You're probably right, though.

Out of curiosity, does anyone have a reference for the statement earlier about the stated disinterest in recruiting?

But overall, like I said, I'm excited to see the team next year, because I think we'll be even better than we were this year.

M.H.

Out of curiosity, does anyone have a reference for the statement earlier about the stated disinterest in recruiting?

M.H.
    I've read this on this board, but I have not seen a direct quote from her on this.

Unhappy Coach McCallie's prior recruiting philososophy...has it changed?

M.H.
    USA Today article from three years ago:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports...homegrown_x.htm

Quote: "We do nationally recruit, but if we can go 30 miles, that's how far we're going to go because I can't stand recruiting," McCallie says. "I will take the shortest distance to a recruit. I think if you can get great talent in the Midwest, why would you go somewhere else?"

Best regards.

Quote Originally Posted by blueprofessor View Post

Quote: "We do nationally recruit, but if we can go 30 miles, that's how far we're going to go because I can't stand recruiting," McCallie says. "I will take the shortest distance to a recruit. I think if you can get great talent in the Midwest, why would you go somewhere else?"

Best regards.
    Thanks for that. Hopefully, in the past three years, her attitude would have changed somewhat, although from the statements of some of the others around here suggest it may not be the case.

I mean, on the one hand, I think I can see what she's saying, if you have to choose between two players that have equal perceived value to the team and one is 30 miles away and the other is 1000 miles away, and you have to choose between the two, then I could see why you would only talk to the closer one.

However, to succeed at the highest levels, recruitment of a variety of high-level recruits is vital and getting your tendrils out everywhere would make more sense.

Anyway, that's just my take on it.

M.H.

Best regards.
    While trying to bring up this article to read it in its entirety I found this:

The requested document was not found.
    Is there a better link?

Thumbs up Try again http://www.usatoday.com/sports...homegrown_x.htm

[QUOTE=Bluedawg;134346]While trying to bring up this article to read it in its entirety I found this:

Is there a better link?[/QUOTE

************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** *******************************************
    I just did and the article was available.Give it a try Bluedawg!

Try also;
    http://www.usatoday.com/sports/colle...omegrown_x.htm

Best regards.
    Last edited by blueprofessor; 04-10-2008 at 01:34 PM. Reason: Add a second link

[QUOTE=blueprofessor;134364]
    While trying to bring up this article to read it in its entirety I found this:

Is there a better link?[/QUOTE

************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** *******************************************
    I just did and the article was available.Give it a try Bluedawg!

Best regards.
    FOUND IT..and the next paragraph was interesting:

Since recruiting has become a game of high-tech silliness, electronic courtships with coaches text messaging teenagers like love-struck suitors, McCallie wishes for a return to a more genuine time.
    the lead-in to it was also interesting:

Like her counterpart on the men's side, when McCallie came to East Lansing five years ago, she tried to "put a fence around the state, the area, and keep those great players in here," men's coach Tom Izzo has said.

The formula worked. Tonight the Michigan State women will play Baylor for the national championship at the same arena where the Spartans men won the 2000 title
    I figured there was more to it than that one quote.

If you build it, they will come.

Right again...

I'm hoping that we [Michagan State] can be so good one day that they could just know us by watching us be successful and say, "I want to go there," and then come visit.

Lightbulb Obviously, any "story" can have more..but the important revelation

[QUOTE=Bluedawg;134370]

FOUND IT..and the next paragraph was interesting:

the lead-in to it was also interesting:

...was "...because I[McCallie] can't stand recruiting."

The universe of excellent female bballers in high school is substantially smaller than that of men bballers.
    Recruiting at the top level is ,perhaps, more critical in the women's game given the relative numbers of available, top talent among high school women ballers.In the men's game talent can be found everywhere,while a good deal of talent coalesces among about 6-8 college teams in the women's game.Duke needs to be one of those talent magnets,as it was for many years under Coach G.

Best regards.