Who Gets The Calls?

For a long time, Duke has been accused of getting a lot of breaks in terms of the referees blowing the whistle in the Blue Devils' favor. If that was ever true, they have been replaced by UNC, specifically Tyler Hanstravel.

He had 3 fouls last night but easily could have and should have fouled out of the game with several minutes remaining. Within a short span in the second half he hacked Padgett at the top of the key (CBS showed it before going to break-no comment from the announcers), stepped in front of a Cardinal going to the rim at the last moment after having his back turned to the play, and went over the back at the offensive end. I may not have this in chronological order, but it happened somewhere between the TV timeouts at 8 and 4 minutes in the second half. Plus, how many steps is he allowed to take? I counted two traveling non-calls in the first half that seemed fairly obvious.

Not to say that this won the game for UNC. I think they were the better team and Hanstravel has great energy and effort that even I can appreciate. But these non-calls were pretty blatant in my estimation.

You do realize that until they had to start fouling intentionally, that the foul count actually favored Louisville, don't you? In fact, at one time early in the second half the second half foul count was something like 10-2 in favor of Louisville.

We can point out something like the reach around hack on Padgett that didn't get called, but I am willing to bet that a UNC fan could come onto this board and give us details of fouls on Hansbrough that were not called, in their opinions.

The game has become so physical that the refs don't catch everything. That leaves us, with our biases, cherry picking calls to bring up in an effort to illustrate how one team gained the officiating advantage.

Really, it's just a more detailed oriented version of Terping, isn't it?

I'm sure you could find calls that favored the 'Ville, but there's no question that Hansbrough got away with several very odd plays on defense guarding Padgett and Clark last night. I mean, he got away with leaning over and around and poking the ball away when playing behind on post-play and a couple of full-swing hack downs. Those are plays right out in front of officials that are almost always automatic. So, it was a little strange.

We're not talking block-charge, post shoving, and screens here. We're talking plays that had Enberg saying on at least three occasions, "Hansbrough got away with a foul there."

Crimsonandblue, are you a Kansas fan? If so, best of luck to you - you are our only hope.

Of all the teams remaining, I think I'd like most to see Davidson win it all. But seeing the lay of the land, I think I'm going to have to sacrifice them to Kansas in the interest of the common good. I simply do not trust UCLA, Memphis, or Texas to put up any worthwhile fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Ignatius07 View Post
    Crimsonandblue, are you a Kansas fan? If so, best of luck to you - you are our only hope.

Of all the teams remaining, I think I'd like most to see Davidson win it all. But seeing the lay of the land, I think I'm going to have to sacrifice them to Kansas in the interest of the common good. I simply do not trust UCLA, Memphis, or Texas to put up any worthwhile fight.
    Yes, I'm a Kansas fan. I think Kansas and UCLA pose the biggest threats to UNC. UCLA has Keefe, Mbah a Moute, Aboya, Love and Mata-Real to throw at Hansbrough. And they have Collison to somewhat neutralize Lawson. Personally, I think Collison is a better player than Lawson. So, I think there's a real threat to UNC on the other side if we don't get there or if we don't get the job done.

I just want to win today, then what happens with UNC happens. That said, if we win today and Roy starts in on his aww shucks, it'll be so dadgum hard to have to play Kansas-garrr-bage, I may have to strap on some astronaut diapers and drive down to San Antonio and Gerald Henderson his cornpone nose.

UCLA has a great shot at Carolina, because Love v. TH would be a great matchup to watch, and probably favors UCLA. Collison and Lawson. It would be good matchup, and I would pick UCLA over Carolina.

I would also pick Kansas over Carolina. I love the way the Jayhawks play, and have the talent pool to compete against these Heels.

The Davidson darling...George Mason in their Final Four game lost 73-58 to the Florida Gators on their way to their first of the back-to-back titles. But does anybody doubt Stephen Curry's abilities?

I agree the UNC probably would've won the game regardless of the calls. And if the non-called fouls were just randomly distributed among UNC's players, it wouldn't be as noticeable. But it does get irritating when Hansbrough can get away with hacking the crap out of people on defense and not get called for it- I don't even recall the last time he was in serious foul trouble, and it's not because he doesn't commit them. There was one in particular that was replayed in slow-mo as they were cutting to commercial break, and it was laughably obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by glutton View Post
    I agree the UNC probably would've won the game regardless of the calls. And if the non-called fouls were just randomly distributed among UNC's players, it wouldn't be as noticeable. But it does get irritating when Hansbrough can get away with hacking the crap out of people on defense and not get called for it- I don't even recall the last time he was in serious foul trouble, and it's not because he doesn't commit them. There was one in particular that was replayed in slow-mo as they were cutting to commercial break, and it was laughably obvious.
    See, this has been building for 3 years now. The guy was doing this as a freshman and we were all talking about this back then. And since he got away with it back then, he gets away with it now. He's developed a reputation and I sincerely believe the refs are just blind when it comes to the guy because of his rep - not his play. Everything that makes him good on offense (his hustle and aggressiveness) should also make him susceptible to major foul problems night in and night out. Seriously. It's not like he plays matador defense and doesn't go hard after the man he's guarding. He does go hard and he should be picking up 2 or 3 fouls on the defensive end every night - easily. And then on offense the guy really should be called for a couple of offensive fouls every game. He jumps into people and it's just so obvious I can't believe he doesn't average at least 2 or 3 offensive fouls a game.

Yes, I'm biased. But if you examine the things that make him good, you have to admit those same things should be a liability to him when it comes to fouls. He should be in the same position a guy like Shaq is in, where he's going to be in foul difficulty most of the time. But he's not, and that's completely on the refs.

Gary