Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Love on Duke

Love on Duke

On the Fan Nation blog written by Elizabeth McGarr, she quotes Kevin Love's response to UCLA being called the "Duke of the West Coast:: "Aw, that's an insult man," (Love) said with feigned disgust.

First, it's interesting that one of the most storied basketball programs in the nation would still fall under the aura of Duke Basketball. Second, it probably is an insult that UCLA wouldn't be considered for it's own history. Even so, for such a response, it's no wonder he didn't consider coming to Duke?

He made these comments because, deep down, he's still bitter Coach K and Duke didn't want him in the end.

This kid's attitude and personal/social discourse is pathetic, and I hope he gets what is coming to him--and his arrogant father.

I, for one, will have TWO teams to cheer my heart out against tonight.

I know that the chances of this happening are 0.00001%, but I would LOVE to see Davidson cut down the nets after beating UK, UNC, and UCLA in a row. Wouldn't that be wild? That would be something! I am so pulling for Davidson right now. You wouldn't even have to stretch the David v. Goliath story thanks to their name!

Quote Originally Posted by MarineTwinsDad View Post
    On the Fan Nation blog written by Elizabeth McGarr, she quotes Kevin Love's response to UCLA being called the "Duke of the West Coast:: "Aw, that's an insult man," (Love) said with feigned disgust.

First, it's interesting that one of the most storied basketball programs in the nation would still fall under the aura of Duke Basketball. Second, it probably is an insult that UCLA wouldn't be considered for it's own history. Even so, for such a response, it's no wonder he didn't consider coming to Duke?
    You've got to understand that there is no "Love lost" (apologies for yet another pun) between Kevin and Duke. Do you guys remember the whole fiasco during the summer of 2005 when Love, who played on a Nike AAU team, went to the Reebok camp? It was just the start of many problems. The Love camp likes to spin things that they dropped Duke -- in part based upon the reaction to that situation. That's a joke. Duke dropped Love for various reasons (let's just say that I don't think very highly of him -- or his dad -- as a person). In addition, Love has a huge personal rivalry with Singler. In short, he is really bitter toward Duke. It actually surprised me, in some respects, that he didn't end up at UNC, just to punish Duke.

...for such a response, it's no wonder he didn't consider coming to Duke?
    Love made his comment with "FEIGNED disgust." Does every statement in the media have to be interpreted as hatred towards Duke?

but really

While its not cool from our perspective to hear Duke talked about like that, look at it from a UCLA perspective. (Try to forget who is saying it). UCLA is, without question, the greatest college basketball program in the history of college basketball if you base it on national championships and legendary players alone. To call them the ______ of anywhere is really unfair and really is an insult. If you are going to call them, something, Duke, UNC, Kansas and Kentucky are probably the only places you can even put out there, but still, its not a fair thing to say about UCLA.

Please do not misinterpret this. Duke has an amazing legacy and aura, I'm just saying UCLA deserves to be treated as the truly elite program it is. I wouldn't want anyone calling Duke the UCLA of the east coast. I would find it "insulting."

I think its clear, though, that when you add in who said it, Love is angry we are the only school in the country who just didn't want him at all. (and i love that about Duke)

Love was never going anywhere besides UCLA. No point in Coach K wasting the time and budget on him.

Quote Originally Posted by sandinmyshoes View Post
    Love was never going anywhere besides UCLA. No point in Coach K wasting the time and budget on him.

And besides. I'm not so sure KL would have been up to the job of "Most Hated Dukie," those are some pretty big shoes to fill and he just doesn't seem to be a "big" enough guy.

Wink And what would

Kyle Singler say if someone asked him if "Duke was the UCLA of the East?"

I hope something unprintable.

sagegrouse

Maryland is the answer

For all of those old enough to remember...Lefty Driesell was going to make "Maryland the UCLA of the East".

Every time I read a quote like this, or listen to players at a press conference (after the WVU game, for example), it just makes me so glad that Duke players are diplomatic and respectful in interviews. I don't know if it's good coaching, or just the type of players we recruit, but I really appreciate it. And, I guess, thanks to Kevin Love, Danny Green, and Joe Alexander for making our guys look so good in comparison

Quote Originally Posted by glutton View Post
    Every time I read a quote like this, or listen to players at a press conference (after the WVU game, for example), it just makes me so glad that Duke players are diplomatic and respectful in interviews. I don't know if it's good coaching, or just the type of players we recruit, but I really appreciate it. And, I guess, thanks to Kevin Love, Danny Green, and Joe Alexander for making our guys look so good in comparison
    To be fair, our guys are coached that way, and it's almost to a fault. How often do you hear a Duke guy anything introspective anymore in an interview? So, maybe not everyone is Battier as a public speaker. But do you remember how quoteable Chris Carrawell was? He had no problem talking junk in the direction of other teams, and we loved him for it. He also did it in a hilarious way, but still, not every guy who isn't 100% diplomatic with every answer is some kind of an embarrassment, and our guys don't necessarily deserve praise for giving canned responses.

Didn't DeMarcus have a little bit to say about Vasquez after a game this season?

I'd take him

Quote Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
    You've got to understand that there is no "Love lost" (apologies for yet another pun) between Kevin and Duke. Do you guys remember the whole fiasco during the summer of 2005 when Love, who played on a Nike AAU team, went to the Reebok camp? It was just the start of many problems. The Love camp likes to spin things that they dropped Duke -- in part based upon the reaction to that situation. That's a joke. Duke dropped Love for various reasons (let's just say that I don't think very highly of him -- or his dad -- as a person). In addition, Love has a huge personal rivalry with Singler. In short, he is really bitter toward Duke. It actually surprised me, in some respects, that he didn't end up at UNC, just to punish Duke.
    As a player the guy was great the other night in all facets of the game. I don't know or care about the other aspects, he played a terrific game. He may be a one and done player, but he lifts UCLA into the elite category. They would be very good without him but not elite.

With All Due Respect to the Opinions Here

Kevin Love is a great college basketball player.

I can certainly see why a UCLA player does not want the program called the anything of the West.

I have heard of no problems between Kevin Love or his father and the UCLA coaches.

There are probably very good reasons why K stopped recruiting Love. Like many I think he was a lock for UCLA and continued recruiting was a waste of time. There may have been personality issues. But on the court he would have a made a huge difference for us this year.

I will be rooting for whomever plays UCLA because I have seen UCLA get the calls at the end of 3 key games - Stanford, Cal, Texas A and M - but not because of Love. UCLA/UNC will be a real issue for me, hope the both lose before that.

SoCal

Quote Originally Posted by freedevil View Post
    Didn't DeMarcus have a little bit to say about Vasquez after a game this season?
    Yeah, that's the one incident that came to mind. Although I'd rather he hadn't, I had a hard time holding that against him...

Quote Originally Posted by bjornolf View Post
    I know that the chances of this happening are 0.00001%, but I would LOVE to see Davidson cut down the nets after beating UK, UNC, and UCLA in a row.
    A minor point, but that's KU not UK... I hadn't been paying attention in a week, and I thought I somehow missed Kentucky going to the Elite Eight But, I agree 99% with what you said. The other 1% is because of a Davidson/Fuqua grad at work who is a complete [self-censored]... Some hilarious/horrible stories, which I might add in the off-topic board at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
    But do you remember how quoteable Chris Carrawell was?
    Err... unfortunately, no. I've only been a fan since I started attending Duke in 2001, so my bball memory is relatively short.

I get what you're saying about canned responses, and I'm not necessarily advocating those. But I do think it's possible to show some personality and still remain respectful towards the other team. Then again, I'm almost certainly more sensitive to comments made by teams that have just beaten us...

Quote Originally Posted by glutton View Post
    We certainly have more than our share of respectful players. However, don't forget that we have also had some players feign stomps to the chest, bounce around like spastic pogo sticks with ridiculous facial expressions, slap backboards, do pushups after dunks, go after referees, twist the nipples of opponents (ouch!), and buy dogs to kick after losses. Oh wait, that last one was a UNC coach.

West Va

The west virginia comments bothered me. This, not at all. First of all, UCLA probably has a richer history than Duke. Secondly, I would expect a Duke player to think the same thing if asked the reverse question. Maybe they would be coached to be more diplomatic and maybe Love shouldn't have said it. But the fact that he thinks that ways is natural to me.

West Va comments on the other hand came across as completely classless to me and I cannot say I was upset to see them get bounced.