Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Patrick Patterson, Huntington Win - K watches

The title says it all. Huntington advances, see link for more.
    Patterson update

Interesting, Watzone. Question for you: what's Patterson's height and weight?

Coach Beilein was there too although he was there to watch another kid he is recruiting as well as for Patrick Patterson. Wonder if Coach K and Coach Beilein sat together like they did last time to discuss how to run the 1-3-1?

Quote Originally Posted by BluBones View Post
    Interesting, Watzone. Question for you: what's Patterson's height and weight?

I have no clue if you were being serious about this but on scout.com, it shows Patterson at 6'8 234 pounds. A Lance Thomasish build.

He is supposed to narrow his list by the end of this week. I would go out on a limb and expect it to be Duke, Kentucky, and Flordia. I think Virginia and Wake are going to be on the outside looking in.

Here is a little excerpt about him on scout

Very strong, well built power forward. Strong student who can play facing the basket to mid-range. Body will be college ready. High-major prospect. Gifted prospect who probably winds up being a versatile four man. Can pass with precision and knock down mid-range extended jumpers. Body built for rebounding.
    Last edited by Dukebacker; 03-17-2007 at 11:24 AM.

Patterson's comments:

"I'm glad (Krzyzewski) came," Patterson said. "I talked to him after their loss to VCU, and he told me he was coming to the game. I was looking forward to seeing him, because I know he has a lot of things to do, but I'm glad he could come.

"Some coaches can't make it down and are busy, but I still talk to them. Coach K is a busy guy, though."

Herald Dispatch

6'8", 234 is a Lance Thomasish build? Maybe in two years. Lance is 210, 215 tops.

Not quite a Lance Thomasish build.

Dukebacker helped out by providing the following stats on PP:

"on scout.com, it shows Patterson at 6'8 234 pounds. A Lance Thomasish build."

Their heights may be the same, but the almost 20 pound difference (234 vs 215, per the GoDuke roster) makes a big difference. And who knows how much PP will weigh next year?

Let's get this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukebacker View Post
    I have no clue if you were being serious about this but on scout.com, it shows Patterson at 6'8 234 pounds.
    Yeah, I was. I give Watzone more credit than the average listing service out there b/c I assume Watzone has actually seen the player in person.

If he comes to Duke, he's most likely going to play center. So a big question is if he is up to that.

Quote Originally Posted by jipops View Post
    If he comes to Duke, he's most likely going to play center. So a big question is if he is up to that.
    Playing center at Duke is not like playing center at many other programs. Josh played center this year and I would hardly say he was a center.

He would esentially play the power forward position.

^^I agree with you partially, but, if he comes to Duke, Patterson would be much more of a typical center than Josh was used as this past year. Singler will fufill more of what Josh did this season, and have a three-point shot to go with it. Patterson will be able to concentrate much more in the lane, somewhere in between a Boozer and a Williams.

Patterson would fit in well at Duke as he is a good kid, excellent student, and the style of PF/C we have been most successful developing (i.e. Brand, Boozer, Williams). My sense thusfar is that he is closest to HS senior Boozer in size/strength and skill set (i've seen him play on TV a couple of times-and am glad to be corrected by others who know more about his game). As of now, the only player I see him competing with, position wise, would be Lance Thomas, if Thomas were to grow or bulk up a bit more. And if he were to come and Josh were to stay (seems very unlikely but the scholarships are there) we would be unbelievably deep at all positions (if Nolan Smith plays some PG, which he did as a junior for one of the top HS teams in the nation), like considerably more so than even this year's UNC squad.

Even with Josh leaving we'd be looking at...

1st team
    1 Paulus
    2 Scheyer
    3 Henderson
    4 Singler
    5 Patterson

2nd Team (all but Smith were already starters at times this year and could be imagined to interchange with my listed 1st team)
    1 Smith
    2 Nelson
    3 McClure
    4 Thomas
    5 Zoubek

3rd Team
    2/3 Pocius
    3/4 King

The potential practice intensity is amazing and would benefit all of these kids emmensely, even if they didn't get a huge amount of PT in games (until later in their careers).

As one final note: Even if we were to lose McRoberts and not get Patterson, Thomas and Zoubek were not only Freshmen this year but young for their classes (btw, Ellington, Wright and Lawson are relatively old for their class and Hansborough is actually 16 months older than McRoberts-same class tho'). There is definite potential for one or both of them to seriously strengthen/grow/bulk up this summer. Were that to happen we'd still have a serious improvement in size over this year as both King and Singler are 6'8", Singler with hops and long arms (and Smith another good sized, long armed guard).

I'd love to have all 13 and be seriously scary, but even with either iteration of 12 or with "only" 11, it'll be a special squad. Any "fans" inclined to do so are gonna be really sorry if they jump ship now.

Go Lady Devils!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Go Devils!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!GTHCGTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by ikiru36; 03-17-2007 at 07:36 PM.

I think if PP picks Duke (and I certainly hope so), then he'll be a center more in the mold of Elton Brand probably.
    Duke '96
    Cary, NC

"3rd Team
    2/3 Pocius"

crazy.

I think Pocious is just going to get better and better...15min a game next year +

I don't disagree

Quote Originally Posted by grossbus View Post
    "3rd Team
    2/3 Pocius"

crazy.
    Not sure how you meant this, but I was more trying to show the teams crazy depth than project lineups, per se. With the same gaggle of players one could easily imagine Pocius (or King for that matter) on the 1st or 2nd team at times, and then you'd go, "Wow, McClure, Smith, 3rd team. Crazy!"

All past evidence to the contrary, perhaps, but I do believe that K has a plan to utilize more players next year than he has in the past. He's already indicated a willingness to utilize many more scholarships on recruited players than ever before(beginning next year) so I'm certain he has had to answer the PT question for the players/recruits as well. I'm assuming he has been honest with them (and its not like they can't add up minutes as well as we can), promising that they will all have the opportunity to compete against the best, everyday in practice, with excellent coaches and facilities, get the best educational opportunity, and have most all of their games nationally televised for family/friends and NBA scouts to see. And if they are truly talented and hard-working enough, they will be rewarded with serious PT and game-time opportunity at some point in their career (the better, the sooner). And if that's not good enough for them (aka, K Humphries), and they have too much self-doubt that they'll earn those minutes early on since they want to go to the NBA lickity-split, well, try another program.

Go Lady Devils!!!!!!!!!Go Devils!!!!!!!!GTHCGTH!!!!!!!!!

Smile Solution for finding players more minutes

Quote Originally Posted by ikiru36 View Post
    All past evidence to the contrary, perhaps, but I do believe that K has a plan to utilize more players next year than he has in the past. He's already indicated a willingness to utilize many more scholarships on recruited players than ever before(beginning next year) so I'm certain he has had to answer the PT question for the players/recruits as well.

I guess one solution to finding minutes for all our players is for all games to go to double overtime. That way there are an extra 50 minutes to divi up among the players. Of course, that would just about kill all the fans (from heart attacks.)
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by ikiru36 View Post
    Not sure how you meant this, but I was more trying to show the teams crazy depth than project lineups, per se. With the same gaggle of players one could easily imagine Pocius (or King for that matter) on the 1st or 2nd team at times, and then you'd go, "Wow, McClure, Smith, 3rd team. Crazy!"

All past evidence to the contrary, perhaps, but I do believe that K has a plan to utilize more players next year than he has in the past. He's already indicated a willingness to utilize many more scholarships on recruited players than ever before(beginning next year) so I'm certain he has had to answer the PT question for the players/recruits as well. I'm assuming he has been honest with them (and its not like they can't add up minutes as well as we can), promising that they will all have the opportunity to compete against the best, everyday in practice, with excellent coaches and facilities, get the best educational opportunity, and have most all of their games nationally televised for family/friends and NBA scouts to see. And if they are truly talented and hard-working enough, they will be rewarded with serious PT and game-time opportunity at some point in their career (the better, the sooner). And if that's not good enough for them (aka, K Humphries), and they have too much self-doubt that they'll earn those minutes early on since they want to go to the NBA lickity-split, well, try another program.

This past year (and the one before) Coach told the students that he would (A) play more players than the past year due to the good, young talent coming in and (B) play a more up-tempo game because of depth and how that game suited the players he had. Next year, we will again have some good, young talent coming. I am sure the depth will be utilized and Duke will play a more up-tempo game. Right?

Carolina has no one in top 100

Carolina has no one in top 100 listed on scout.com for next year.

Anyone know about their recruits? Are they just not highly rated, or skipped by scout.com, or have a big class the next year?

http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=9&...cfg=bb&yr=2007