Page 12 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
    Now, isn't this more valuable and important than continuing a worthless Harrison Barnes thread?

ricks

Quote Originally Posted by ricks68 View Post
    Now, isn't this more valuable and important than continuing a worthless Harrison Barnes thread?

ricks
    Yes.

I like the barbecue experience at B's in Greenville especially outside on picnic tables under the huge oak tree. The pork is just OK (cooked over gas) but the sauce is awesome and the sides are really good, too.

Here in Li'l Washington, I like Boss Hogs - real hickory smoked 'cue, great ribs, good sides, great sauce (not quite B's, but really close). Hate the atmosphere, but I usually carry out anyway.

Of course, if all this makes you want some eastern style 'cue, you can get some shipped to you from King's in Kinston - it's good.

When in Richmond...

Best Ribs = Buz and Neds (Bobby Flay agrees)

Best Pulled Pork = Q Barbeque on Southside (sauce is good but not needed!)
    "That young man has an extra step on his ladder the rest of us just don't have."

Quote Originally Posted by airowe View Post
    I'll be honest here...Bullock's has under-whelmed me the last few times. But underwhelming Q is still pretty good. Allen & Sons has better flavor.

I was in Asheboro recently and ate at Blue Mist. It was pretty good.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    I am telling you guys and gals, look no further than Hwy 56 in little ol Creedmoor to find the best cue at Bob's Barbecue. Been in business for years. Homemade pies daily, good stew, etc. Heck even their seafood menu rocks.

Very short drive if you live in the Triangle area.

FWIW, I never cared for Bullock's but it has been a while since I ate there (thankfully!).

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    FWIW, I never cared for Bullock's but it has been a while since I ate there (thankfully!).
    I have not liked the Q at Bullocks for several years. Yet it continues to be a favorite of out of town alums who come back for a visit. I guess when you have nothing to compare it to, except 30 year old memories...

For those in the Triangle, don't miss Ed Mitchell's "The Pit" in Raleigh.
    http://www.thepit-raleigh.com/ A little more upscale than most Q places, but fabulous food! Devildeac and I reviewed this here about two years ago.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Here goes my credibilty as a 'cue snob!

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    I have not liked the Q at Bullocks for several years. Yet it continues to be a favorite of out of town alums who come back for a visit. I guess when you have nothing to compare it to, except 30 year old memories...

For those in the Triangle, don't miss Ed Mitchell's "The Pit" in Raleigh.
    http://www.thepit-raleigh.com/ A little more upscale than most Q places, but fabulous food! Devildeac and I reviewed this here about two years ago.
    Maybe I'm not picky enough, but the last couple times I've been to Bullock's, the meal was just great. The 'cue is pedestrian - nothing to write home about, and no comparison with The Pit (wow is that good BBQ!*).

The thing about Bullock's, though, is the sides are all good - from onion rings to Brunswick Stew to hushpuppies, everything was hot and fresh, and the whole experience is good. So, yeah, if you're really a 'cue snob, get the fried chicken, brunswick stew etc. Bullock's 'cue is kinda like Duke's 2008 season: 28-6 (13-3) with a #9 final ranking just doesn't quite cut it under the pressure of heavy expectations. It's good, just not great.

*Full disclosure - the 'cue I had from The Pit was at a private catered party - I've never been to the restaurant - but holy smoked pork was it good.

I've always considered Bullock's as...uh, okay, but Mrs Jarhead hates it. This morning when I handed her the News and Observer section with the Magnolia Grill article, she noticed the Bullock's article first, and threw it back at me saying, "See. I told you so. I hate Bullock's."

A record maybe??

I can't believe it took almost a month since the end of the FF for this thread to start up again. I almost brought it back myself, but I was actually waiting to see if we could establish a new record. Does anyone know if we did it?

Oh, and by the way, I am determined to get back to Snow's in the next few weeks. I'll send a report.

ricks

It's the off-season now, but never the off-season or off topic for this from the front page of the Raleigh N&O this AM:

http://www.newsobserver.com/2011/07/...still-burn.htm

Brings a to my eyes and a to my chin.

Best line from the article is at the very end: "And barbecue ain't worth a damn if it's cheap, quick and fast."

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    It's the off-season now, but never the off-season or off topic for this from the front page of the Raleigh N&O this AM:

Best line from the article is at the very end: "And barbecue ain't worth a damn if it's cheap, quick and fast."
    First things first, DD. Something is wrong with your link, so here's a correct one. I read the article this morning, but I lost interest when Lexington was mentioned. They use ketchup there, don't they?

I finished it later, and it was pretty good. Wood is what makes it all work. I remember the parking lot out in back of Stamies. It had hickory boards stacked all over the place.

The story correctly places the start of NC bbq back in the early days of the nation. In fact it goes back to colonial times, and was also very popular in Virginia. At Colonial Williamsburg the restored colonial restaurants do not serve any food item unless it can be documented as food fare in colonial times. Well, in Chewing's Restaurant on Duke of Gloucester Street they serve an exquisite NC bbq sandwich at lunch time, even with the cole slaw.

Getting away from the history, Mrs. Jarhead told me about an old recipe from a friend for roast beef or roast pork cooked in an oven. The recipe stated that to determine the amount of time for cooking always put an extra small roast in the oven. When it is burnt, the big roast is done. Reportedly, it works every time.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Jarhead View Post
    First things first, DD. Something is wrong with your link, so here's a correct one. I read the article this morning, but I lost interest when Lexington was mentioned. They use ketchup there, don't they?

I finished it later, and it was pretty good. Wood is what makes it all work. I remember the parking lot out in back of Stamies. It had hickory boards stacked all over the place.

The story correctly places the start of NC bbq back in the early days of the nation. In fact it goes back to colonial times, and was also very popular in Virginia. At Colonial Williamsburg the restored colonial restaurants do not serve any food item unless it can be documented as food fare in colonial times. Well, in Chewing's Restaurant on Duke of Gloucester Street they serve an exquisite NC bbq sandwich at lunch time, even with the cole slaw.

Getting away from the history, Mrs. Jarhead told me about an old recipe from a friend for roast beef or roast pork cooked in an oven. The recipe stated that to determine the amount of time for cooking always put an extra small roast in the oven. When it is burnt, the big roast is done. Reportedly, it works every time.
    Link corrected, just in case folks don't read Jarhead's post (can't imagine anyone wanting to skip his erudite opinions/descriptions).
    http://www.newsobserver.com/2011/07/...till-burn.html

(sheesh-looks the same as my original one that I verified as I verified the corrected one)

Quote Originally Posted by Jarhead View Post

Stamey's still uses wood. The smoke house is behind their restaurant near the Greensboro Coliseum.

I visited Lexington #1 (HoneyMonk's to the locals) recently... counted seven smokestacks.

If you're interested in visiting some of the best barbecue restaurants in NC, the ones using wood to cook, try some on this map from the NC Barbecue Society's Historic Trail. You may recognize some names and find others which may be new to you. http://www.ncbbqsociety.com/bbqmap/trail_map.php

Another source of information about great barbecue, including reviews and comments by others, is this web site. http://bbqjew.com/

Thread name change

I think maybe it's time to change the name of the thread to "Saucy". With that label it would be a more accurate reflection of what usually goes on in this thread. Y'all can then proceed to have a saucy talk about the different sauces that give the NC pulled pork its flavor.

To those of us in Texas, where the BBQ flavor is actually contained within the meat, and the sauce that covers it up is so disdained, we actually have discussions regarding the meat itself, and only use the fix-ins (the salt and pepper rub) to bring out the flavor instead of masking it. While some Texas establishments have BBQ sauce, if the meat cannot stand alone without it, we do not even bother to grade it. Hot sauce is used, however, but just to spice it up because we like our food HOT.

Coincidentally, I took a 2 hour trip to Snow's (in Lexington, Texas, by the way----just north of Giddings.) yesterday for a late breakfast and early lunch. It has to be that way because it is only open on Saturdays beginning at 8 am and stops serving when the food runs out. Luckily for us, we called at eight and put in a large order to go. By the time we got to the front of the line at 10:30, they had already run out of the chicken, regular sausage and the pork chops. We had to raid our to go order to fill in with the Jalapeņo sausage, brisket and ribs that we ordered. They have a board outside that they use to let people know what they have run out of as the morning progresses. Every time something gets crossed out a big groan goes up from the line.

While most of you know that I favor Kreuz Market in Lockhart, I am now a Snow's convert----and not because it is about 25 minutes closer. Best brisket without a doubt. Best moist smoked chicken ever. Ribs are outrageous. I still prefer Kreuz ribs, however, but this is a very close second because it is prepared a little differently and has a different distinct flavor than Kreuz. The sausage is the best, with a very smokey intense meat flavor with the perfect amount of grease. (On any other day of the week, I still think Kreuz Market has to be a very, very, very close second.)

Y'all just plain do not know what y'all missing.

(Hey, Deac and Dress, y'all know I am just bein' myself on this one. Hope to see you guys again real soon.)

ricks

I think maybe it's time to change the name of the thread to "Saucy". With that label it would be a more accurate reflection of what usually goes on in this thread. Y'all can then proceed to have a saucy talk about the different sauces that give the NC pulled pork its flavor.

To those of us in Texas, where the BBQ flavor is actually contained within the meat, and the sauce that covers it up is so disdained, we actually have discussions regarding the meat itself, and only use the fix-ins (the salt and pepper rub) to bring out the flavor instead of masking it. While some Texas establishments have BBQ sauce, if the meat cannot stand alone without it, we do not even bother to grade it. Hot sauce is used, however, but just to spice it up because we like our food HOT.

Coincidentally, I took a 2 hour trip to Snow's (in Lexington, Texas, by the way----just north of Giddings.) yesterday for a late breakfast and early lunch. It has to be that way because it is only open on Saturdays beginning at 8 am and stops serving when the food runs out. Luckily for us, we called at eight and put in a large order to go. By the time we got to the front of the line at 10:30, they had already run out of the chicken, regular sausage and the pork chops. We had to raid our to go order to fill in with the Jalapeņo sausage, brisket and ribs that we ordered. They have a board outside that they use to let people know what they have run out of as the morning progresses. Every time something gets crossed out a big groan goes up from the line.

While most of you know that I favor Kreuz Market in Lockhart, I am now a Snow's convert----and not because it is about 25 minutes closer. Best brisket without a doubt. Best moist smoked chicken ever. Ribs are outrageous. I still prefer Kreuz ribs, however, but this is a very close second because it is prepared a little differently and has a different distinct flavor than Kreuz. The sausage is the best, with a very smokey intense meat flavor with the perfect amount of grease. (On any other day of the week, I still think Kreuz Market has to be a very, very, very close second.)

(Hey, Deac and Dress, y'all know I am just bein' myself on this one. Hope to see you guys again real soon.)

ricks
    Now, Ricks, you know I've not selected any one barbecue as the only and the best. Barbecue is like men.... varied, some more interesting than others.

Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post
    LOL. That's because the Confederacy invented BBQ possum and rat spare ribs when food was scarce in 1865.
    If there was a "Like" button, I'd push it.

On a bad note, there is NO BBQ in WV. So I make my own.

I smoke some butts with apple and hickory wood.

and then some modification of this:
    2 cups apple cider vinegar
    3 tblsp lemon juice
    1 1/2 tblsp brown sugar
    1 tblsp Cayenne pepper
    1 tblsp hot pepper sauce
    1 tsp salt
    1 tsp black pepper

Chop the pork, put in a pot add the sauce and simmer for a little while.

Reminds me of home.
    ~rthomas

ricks
    Yea, and if you had defended Arizona a lot better in the Sweet Sixteen, I most likely would have joined you at Snow's and/or Kreuz Market AND delivered your Young Guns poster I am still storing in my hallway.

I just noticed something. This thread was started more than four years ago, by me. It is named Duke vs Kentucky, because it is about barbecue, and as such is granted the privilege of residing on the EK board. The history of this tradition goes back much further in time, maybe about the time of Laettner's shot. Changing it to Saucy would not be good.

I noticed some reference to pulled pork in connection with eastern NC bbq. Someone else mentioned chopped, and that's the way I prefer it. I remember, back in the day, asking a guy at Dillards in Durham why he used two knives, one in each hand, while chopping. He said that they were finding two many fingers in the bbq when they used one knife. I swear on my parking pass that that's the truth.