Page 14 of 33 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    1. Chopped, though it was fairly coarse, IIRC. Mrs. DD verified this.
    2. Moving our (cheerleader)daughter and her husband (DukeDiv2011/2012/2013) there in late July.
    3. You look like you could use some sporks to eat your 'cue. (But of course, I'm not allowed to provide you any utensils at this time.)
    I can only assume that you're son-in-law has chosen the area for missionary work.

I applaud his courage, but I think he'll find that many have already G(one)TH.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    This guy wants to replace IU with Duke on their schedule.
    Actually he lists a bunch of possible replacements, but of course we have to top the list. My favorite line is
    And the Laettner game in 1992 still sticks in our crawls.
    I get to make fun of them for still sulking over that shot, and I get to make fun of bad grammar. It's a win-win sentence!

http://www.nationofblue.com/list-who...arolina-11121/
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    I haven't been in Cedar City for several years but I did eat at Sonny Boy's and the BBQ was OK. Not NC style, but OK.

The town is in beautiful country.
    Thanks! I will definitely try it. Looks like my kinda place.

And yes, I'm looking forward to hiking and climbing in all the surrounding parks!
    "That young man has an extra step on his ladder the rest of us just don't have."

Quote Originally Posted by JBDuke View Post
    Stock up on Bill's limeades before you go!
    Yep! It's too bad they are closing down a bunch of the Bills. Well actually, I stopped going to them a few years ago (just not as good as some newer places) so I guess it was bound to happen!

Will miss the Limeades, though.
    "That young man has an extra step on his ladder the rest of us just don't have."

Trucks

Hey,

Anybody got an opinion (idea) as to which food truck Q in the Triangle is worthy of my $6 - 10?

Thanks

BBQ on I-95

Wife and I are headed to Morehead City from Richmond for the Memorial Day holiday. Travelling I95-Rt 264-I795-Rt 70. Any recommendations on BBQ places along the way? Also any recommendations on Morehead City or Atlantic Beach would be appreciated?

BBQ in Utah

Quote Originally Posted by Nrrrrvous View Post
    Thanks! I will definitely try it. Looks like my kinda place.

And yes, I'm looking forward to hiking and climbing in all the surrounding parks!
    I grew up in Utah, and have relatives in Cedar City (and throughout that corner of the state). I have been in NC for nearly 20 years now (whew!). "Barbecue" out there is an event (what we call a "cookout" here), rather than a food group. Good luck finding anything resembling pulled/chopped pork with a vinegar-based sauce. Things may have infiltrated, though. And the scenery around that area is, indeed, fabulous!

Quote Originally Posted by dukeforester View Post
    Wife and I are headed to Morehead City from Richmond for the Memorial Day holiday. Travelling I95-Rt 264-I795-Rt 70. Any recommendations on BBQ places along the way? Also any recommendations on Morehead City or Atlantic Beach would be appreciated?
    Bill's or Gardener's in Rocky Mount, Parker's in Wilson, Wilbur's in Goldsboro, Skylight Inn in Ayden or any Smithfield's along I-95 or I-40 on your way. I have made one visit to Gardener's and Parker's and they were fine ones but they were several years ago. Have had catered meals from Bill's and thought they were tasty, but, again, none in several years. Multiple stops at Wilbur's to/from the Crystal Coast were always delectable, either dine-in or take out, too. I have never eaten at the Skylight but it is consistently rated one of the best 'cue joints in NC. Smithfield's Chicken and BBQ is (are?) a chain and not pit cooked but always good and reasonably priced.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

bbq on the way to MHV

Quote Originally Posted by dukeforester View Post

Goldsboro: Wilbur's or McCall's
    Kinston: Kings
    LaGrange: Ken's Grill ( I think they only do q a couple days a week.)

in MHC, you have to eat something at El's Drive-in.

There's lots of food in the MHC area...

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by grit74 View Post
    Goldsboro: Wilbur's or McCall's
    Kinston: Kings
    LaGrange: Ken's Grill ( I think they only do q a couple days a week.)

in MHC, you have to eat something at El's Drive-in.

There's lots of food in the MHC area...
    I can vouch for both Wilbur's or McCall's. Maybe hit one coming and the other going, McCall's is one of the best southern cookin' buffets you will find. I can't vouch for El's though...I've lived and/or worked here in Morehead for almost 10 years and I still have not eaten there..lol. One day....
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I can vouch for both Wilbur's or McCall's. Maybe hit one coming and the other going, McCall's is one of the best southern cookin' buffets you will find. I can't vouch for El's though...I've lived and/or worked here in Morehead for almost 10 years and I still have not eaten there..lol. One day....
    I recommend El's for the experience at least, but also for the burgers.

FYI...be very careful of your speed coming into MHC. They have just dropped the speed limit from 45 to 35 on a large stretch of Arendell st, and the cops have been having a blast with it. Mostly, they've been issuing just warnings, but I bet their attitude will change for the tourists.

One other suggestion...Moore's in New Bern. Like Wilbur's, this is real deal wood smoked 'cue. You should see their lumber pile out back. They also hold a Guinees world record for something, largest sandwich I think. Beyond that, to find the best bbq around you'll just have to swing by my house. I'll be firing up something this weekend.

Austin

Not to change the subject too much here, but I just got back from a few days in Austin visiting a friend. I made it to Rudy's once and all the way out in the middle of nowhere to Salt Lick. I got brisket at both places and also tried some jalapeno sausage and pork ribs.

For the record, I'm a NC kid and love the eastern style stuff. But eating brisket in Hill Country of Texas is every bit as much fun as running down some of these notorious pig places in NC. Different flavors and beef heavy, but Texas is great, and along with NC they might just be the two poles of the barbecue world.

There's a catering company operating out of Clemmons, NC, that does amazing slow cooked pork Carolina style barbecue. They also sell a couple barbecue sauces and a hot sauce online (I've tried and enjoy the hot sauce and Carolina Blend). Anyway, would definitely recommend trying them out.

Www.Bullzheadbrandz.com

(ignore the ridiculous use of the z's)

Thanks All

Thanks for the BBQ recommendations. Wilbers in Goldsboro looks about the right time for a lunch stop. McCalls on the way home. Thanks for the speed warning CBB. Also sent you a pm.

One other suggestion...Moore's in New Bern. Like Wilbur's, this is real deal wood smoked 'cue. You should see their lumber pile out back. They also hold a Guinees world record for something, largest sandwich I think. Beyond that, to find the best bbq around you'll just have to swing by my house. I'll be firing up something this weekend.
    Big Wilbur's fan. The hushpuppies are to die for with the honey butter.

It's time, unfortunately

Quote Originally Posted by Jarhead View Post
    The new board is great but it is lacking one important thing. It has not yet had a Duke vs Kentucky thread. You know. A thread in which we expound on the values of good old eastern North Carolina 'cue.

So, let's get started with this item in today's News and Observer:
    http://www.newsobserver.com/105/story/547701.html

The item announces a class at the North Carolina Museum of History at 5 E. Edenton St in Raleigh. There is a $10 registration fee, but that includes a barbecue dinner. How about some volunteers going to the class and reporting back to us. Registration closes tomorrow, Wednesday, so call 919-807-7968 first thing tomorrow morning.
    Our men's season has now been officially over for almost a whole day, now. It's time. Nothing of note to comment on this subject, but I just wanted to begin the slow path to recovery in the proper way.

ricks

Quote Originally Posted by ricks68 View Post
    Our men's season has now been officially over for almost a whole day, now. It's time. Nothing of note to comment on this subject, but I just wanted to begin the slow path to recovery in the proper way.

ricks
    How do you define the proper way? My doctor has me on an IV drip of one part saline and one part tasty sauce. Well, he's not really a doctor, but he owns a white coat.

This guy wants to replace IU with Duke on their schedule.
    Actually he lists a bunch of possible replacements, but of course we have to top the list. My favorite line is
    I get to make fun of them for still sulking over that shot, and I get to make fun of bad grammar. It's a win-win sentence!

http://www.nationofblue.com/list-who...arolina-11121/
    Or maybe it is Laettner's foot that still sticks in their craws.