Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Duke vs Kentucky

The new board is great but it is lacking one important thing. It has not yet had a Duke vs Kentucky thread. You know. A thread in which we expound on the values of good old eastern North Carolina 'cue.

So, let's get started with this item in today's News and Observer:
    http://www.newsobserver.com/105/story/547701.html

The item announces a class at the North Carolina Museum of History at 5 E. Edenton St in Raleigh. There is a $10 registration fee, but that includes a barbecue dinner. How about some volunteers going to the class and reporting back to us. Registration closes tomorrow, Wednesday, so call 919-807-7968 first thing tomorrow morning.

Don't we usually get into this right after "the season" officially ends for everyone else but us? I've been saving comments regarding my last visit to Honey Monk's when I was in town for the Carolina game until then. We still have business to take care of that is just a tad more important at this time, don't we? I think both our teams need our undivided attention at this juncture of the season. (If ya'll don't agree, however, I might just be able to squeeze just a little BBQ discussion in.)

ricks

About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.
    Quote Originally Posted by ricks68 View Post
    Don't we usually get into this right after "the season" officially ends for everyone else but us? I've been saving comments regarding my last visit to Honey Monk's when I was in town for the Carolina game until then. We still have business to take care of that is just a tad more important at this time, don't we? I think both our teams need our undivided attention at this juncture of the season. (If ya'll don't agree, however, I might just be able to squeeze just a little BBQ discussion in.)

ricks
    Dude, it's ALWAYS appropriate to discuss BBQ!!! I don't care if Duke's in the championship game and it's tipping off in 10 minutes.

And, btw, I had some pretty good 'que just last night. For those of you stuck here in NOVA and struggling to find good 'que, give Willard's in Chantilly a try. When you order, make sure you just ask for more North Carolina sauce, and no tomato-ey junk.

Plus, Willard's has sweet tea, which you know is hard to find amongst all these Yankees.
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

an eastern NC gem

Bill Ellis Barbecue (or just plain Bill's) in Wilson (hey, nice town ). $9 for all-you-can-eat buffet and a drink. They do a full pig every day, along with chopped pork, fried chicken & fish, and excellent veggies of all stripes, from good ol' green beans to great collards to sweet potatoes. There's also an additional rotating "meat of the day," such as chicken livers (yum!) on Tuesday. Definitely worth a trip; my friends & I drive 40 minutes or so from Greenville (which has a few 'cue joints of its own) just to go there.

Best BBQ in america is at B's Barbeque in Greenville, NC...It just doesn't get any better than that!!

Quote Originally Posted by DukeDevilsBB View Post
    Best BBQ in america is at B's Barbeque in Greenville, NC...It just doesn't get any better than that!!
    Gotta agree with that.

Allen and Son's, on Highway 86 at Mt. Sinai Rd. (midway between Chapel Hill and Hillsborough). They still exclusively use Hickory to cook on, none of that wimpy propane stuff. It is the cause of both my High Blood Pressure and elevated cholesterol. If it kills me I will die a well-fed man.

I think Jim Sumner works for the museum of history ... maybe I can get dibs on the leftovers. I am headed to Bullocks in a few minutes, and while Bullocks is good, better Que can be found.

Being in the City of Durham, Bullocks is unable to pit cook their Que. There is a law preventing it which includes Durham County.
    Last edited by watzone; 02-28-2007 at 05:37 PM.

If the law supposes that, then the law is a ***, a idiot! Mr. Bumble, Oliver Twist.

Another Good Place....

Well, I am good friends with the family that owns this place so I have to throw a plug in for them. McCall's BBQ and Seafood in Clayton and Goldsboro is really good too. They have a great buffet (particulary at night) if your ever in those areas.

is anyone else getting hungry???

I'm home, I am home

This is the time of year for a 'cue thread, because folks are getting ready to go to various tournaments and need advice on finding good bbq, not that I can enjoy it, being on a strict non-fat diet. Somebody can eat my share, and let me know how good it is. I'm into seafood now, really like that salmon stuff, and mahimahi, and tilapia, but I miss the good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeDevilsBB View Post
    Ozzie and I had lunch at B's Barbecue in Greenville today. B's is a true barbecue shack. They don't have a listed phone number (not even sure if they have a phone), and they don't have regular operating hours, other than they open up at 11:00 a.m., and when the cue runs out, they close up. The place is heated by one of those old-fashioned gas heaters with the flame. Cars and trucks packed the lot surrounding the building.

The pig is cooked out back over an open pit. The meat was extremely moist, sweet and well-flavored by the smoke. I didn't add any of the vinegar sauce sitting out on the tables--the 'cue didn't need any.

The slaw was creamy and sweet. YUM! I wish I'd gone back for seconds on the slaw. The corn sticks (which I usually don't even like because most joints overcook them) were crunchy on the outside and sweet, tender and moist inside. The tea was freshly brewed and perfectly sweet.

Now that I think about it, B's must buy a lot of sugar because I think it was an ingredient in everything I ate. I loved this meal.

Ozzie had the chicken along with the 'cue. He also had potatoes, but I don't think he ate them.

YUM! I love B's Barbecue!

Daggone it

I just finished a late dinner, now I'm hungry again. Why did you have to post that?

See y'all soon in Derm-I hope.

Quote Originally Posted by CathyCA View Post
    Ozzie and I had lunch at B's Barbecue in Greenville today.
    They don't have a listed phone number (not even sure if they have a phone)
    Cars and trucks packed the lot surrounding the building.

The pig is cooked out back over an open pit.
    Now that I think about it, B's must buy a lot of sugar because I think it was an ingredient in everything I ate. I loved this meal.

Ozzie had the chicken along with the 'cue. He also had potatoes, but I don't think he ate them.

YUM! I love B's Barbecue!
    The Q was truly outstanding. Not as spicy as Smithfield's, but absolutely delicious! Chuck, I think you'd like it!

There was a phone booth next to the building in the parking lot. Cars park every which way on three sides of the ram-shackle building, including out next to the street on both sides of the road. When I first got there, I parked behind the building, but it was down wind from the smoke pit and I decided I didn't want my car to smell like smoke for the next six weeks, so I moved it.

The chicken was tasty - I'd call it "broasted" as the skin was crispy, probably too done, as the chicken was somewhat dry. It did have a nice smokey taste like the Q, but I left the dry half. I had one or two of the potato pieces and one of the corn sticks. I was full (I guess the SlimFast is working???)
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Cathy, that sounds just like my kind of bbq joint. It reminds me of a place right in the neighborhood where I grew up in Northern Virginia just south of the Alexandria city limits. I believe it was the original Dixie Pig Barbecue. They cooked the pig , not out back but in a shed right in front of the main entrance. This George Washington High School Alumni Association link gives a pretty good description of the place but gets the chronology wrong. The GW Parkway (we called it the Mt. Vernon Blvd) was constructed in the thirties, and the trailer park (I used to deliver the Washington Post in that park) was right next to the restaurant between the parkway and the river.

The trailer park was housing for wartime defense workers. The restaurant closed in 1946, and moved to the Route 1 location, because the National Park Service turned the whole area into a park that is still there. Oh, and the Dixie Pig that moved over to Route 1 was sold to one of the drug storechains. By then, the BBQ was pretty bad. It was outstanding in my high school days, just as good as any I''ve experienced in North Carolina. Same for all of the side dishes. It is where my love for Eastern NC BBQ originated. How thrilled was I when I came to Duke later on and discovered that they cooked the same kind of stuff at the football stadium.

Thanks for triggering this for me. I could write a couple of dozen pages on my experiences and memories there. This was during WWII, and I was in George Washington High School. I played football. Rasty Doran was the coach. I worked at the Washington National Airport, and the Alexandria Post Office. I hunted ducks for the food, and muskrats for the skins. My buddies and I lived the most idyllic life any teenager ever had, and it all ended when several of us played hooky from school, went over to Washington, and enlisted in the Marine Corps -- on my 17th birthday. I am still in touch with those of our crowd that have survived including one of the guys that enlisted with me. Thanks again for the memories, Cathy. That restaurant you and Ozzie went to sounds just like my old hangout in Alexandria.

BBQ and Kentucky

Saw we were talking BBQ and wanted to give a shout out to Wilbers BBQ in Goldsboro NC, my old stomping grounds before I got shipped to Las Vegas, and Kings BBQ in gastonia nc were a couple of my favs while I was in NC. Lexington is really good too but only ate there twice when I was passing through.

Now on to Kentucky JD Meeks is a monster but nobody on Tenn was putting any D on him, Duke wouldnt have that prob

Quote Originally Posted by AIRFORCEDUKIE View Post
    Saw we were talking BBQ

Now on to Kentucky JD Meeks is a monster but nobody on Tenn was putting any D on him, Duke wouldnt have that prob
    AFD, welcome!. You're new around these parts . We don't talk bball in the Duke - Kentucky thread, only BBQ! It's a tradition. And be sure to check out the Handy Pocket Reference linked in the top thread on the Elizabeth King (main) board. It'll explain everything you need to know about the DBR boards!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

I will be seeing ya'll either at the State game or the Maryland game, as I am coming again to spend time at the ol' alma mater and watch Gary sweat. Will be traveling to Asheville in between games and plan on dropping in at 12 Bones. May or may not be able to stop at Lexington #1. So, Ozzie, I will be able to catch up with you at the half of the Maryland game, and hopefully with DevilintheBlueDress and others probably at the half of both games.

ricks

DiBD, are you thinking about the Boar's Head in Greensboro? I think the sauce is still available on line.