Page 1 of 33 12311 ... LastLast

Duke vs Kentucky

The new board is great but it is lacking one important thing. It has not yet had a Duke vs Kentucky thread. You know. A thread in which we expound on the values of good old eastern North Carolina 'cue.

So, let's get started with this item in today's News and Observer:
    http://www.newsobserver.com/105/story/547701.html

The item announces a class at the North Carolina Museum of History at 5 E. Edenton St in Raleigh. There is a $10 registration fee, but that includes a barbecue dinner. How about some volunteers going to the class and reporting back to us. Registration closes tomorrow, Wednesday, so call 919-807-7968 first thing tomorrow morning.

Don't we usually get into this right after "the season" officially ends for everyone else but us? I've been saving comments regarding my last visit to Honey Monk's when I was in town for the Carolina game until then. We still have business to take care of that is just a tad more important at this time, don't we? I think both our teams need our undivided attention at this juncture of the season. (If ya'll don't agree, however, I might just be able to squeeze just a little BBQ discussion in.)

ricks

About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.
    Quote Originally Posted by ricks68 View Post
    Don't we usually get into this right after "the season" officially ends for everyone else but us? I've been saving comments regarding my last visit to Honey Monk's when I was in town for the Carolina game until then. We still have business to take care of that is just a tad more important at this time, don't we? I think both our teams need our undivided attention at this juncture of the season. (If ya'll don't agree, however, I might just be able to squeeze just a little BBQ discussion in.)

ricks
    Dude, it's ALWAYS appropriate to discuss BBQ!!! I don't care if Duke's in the championship game and it's tipping off in 10 minutes.

And, btw, I had some pretty good 'que just last night. For those of you stuck here in NOVA and struggling to find good 'que, give Willard's in Chantilly a try. When you order, make sure you just ask for more North Carolina sauce, and no tomato-ey junk.

Plus, Willard's has sweet tea, which you know is hard to find amongst all these Yankees.
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

an eastern NC gem

Bill Ellis Barbecue (or just plain Bill's) in Wilson (hey, nice town ). $9 for all-you-can-eat buffet and a drink. They do a full pig every day, along with chopped pork, fried chicken & fish, and excellent veggies of all stripes, from good ol' green beans to great collards to sweet potatoes. There's also an additional rotating "meat of the day," such as chicken livers (yum!) on Tuesday. Definitely worth a trip; my friends & I drive 40 minutes or so from Greenville (which has a few 'cue joints of its own) just to go there.

Best BBQ in america is at B's Barbeque in Greenville, NC...It just doesn't get any better than that!!

Quote Originally Posted by DukeDevilsBB View Post
    Best BBQ in america is at B's Barbeque in Greenville, NC...It just doesn't get any better than that!!
    Gotta agree with that.

Allen and Son's, on Highway 86 at Mt. Sinai Rd. (midway between Chapel Hill and Hillsborough). They still exclusively use Hickory to cook on, none of that wimpy propane stuff. It is the cause of both my High Blood Pressure and elevated cholesterol. If it kills me I will die a well-fed man.

I think Jim Sumner works for the museum of history ... maybe I can get dibs on the leftovers. I am headed to Bullocks in a few minutes, and while Bullocks is good, better Que can be found.

Being in the City of Durham, Bullocks is unable to pit cook their Que. There is a law preventing it which includes Durham County.
    Last edited by watzone; 02-28-2007 at 05:37 PM.

If the law supposes that, then the law is a ***, a idiot! Mr. Bumble, Oliver Twist.

Another Good Place....

Well, I am good friends with the family that owns this place so I have to throw a plug in for them. McCall's BBQ and Seafood in Clayton and Goldsboro is really good too. They have a great buffet (particulary at night) if your ever in those areas.

is anyone else getting hungry???

I'm home, I am home

This is the time of year for a 'cue thread, because folks are getting ready to go to various tournaments and need advice on finding good bbq, not that I can enjoy it, being on a strict non-fat diet. Somebody can eat my share, and let me know how good it is. I'm into seafood now, really like that salmon stuff, and mahimahi, and tilapia, but I miss the good stuff.

Man, I sure could go for some B's BBQ right now.

Parkers BBQ and Bill Ellis BBQ in Wilson is also pretty good stuff.

I lived in Kansas City for a few years and those boys out there think they know what real BBQ is. They have no idea IMO. It isn't bad but it doesn't hold a candle to NC style 'que!!!!

Barbecue and Ribs Co.

For those heading west on I-40/85 towards Greensboro and the Women's ACC tournament, BBQ and Ribs Co. at the HWY. 87 exit in Graham has some excellent Q, puppies, sides, and banana pudding. Take a right towards town, it's just a 150 yds. They cook eastern style. My wife loves their fried chicken, too.

Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post
    For those heading west on I-40/85 towards Greensboro and the Women's ACC tournament, BBQ and Ribs Co. at the HWY. 87 exit in Graham has some excellent Q, puppies, sides, and banana pudding. Take a right towards town, it's just a 150 yds. They cook eastern style. My wife loves their fried chicken, too.

The BBQ and Ribs Co. here in Chesapeake, VA has good ribs but AWFUL BBQ.

No chopped for me

I'm an Eastern North Carolina guy born and bred, but I'm not a big fan of our ubiquitous chopped pig. Give me Bullock's sliced or a chunky pulled 'que any time.

Also, my personal experience with the 'Que place that's just off 85 in Graham has been extremely negative -- maybe the worst stuff I've ever hand. I would suggest going a mile off the highways to Hursey's (you can't miss the signs). That's far, far superior stiff.

Allen & Sons is as far as I'll drive regularly. Too bad Goldsboro, Wilson, Greenville, etc aren't closer.

For something a little more upscale, Crook's Corner in Chapel Hill is amazing. I'd forgotten how good it was until a friend of a friend dragged me there last week.

One good thing about Hursey's (which Oly mentioned) is that the guys who run it are Duke fans and have been going to the games for years. Inside stuff

I think you wer talking of A & M grill in Alamance County. I agree that it is terrible que, but some folks like it.

Hungry in Japan

This thread is making me hungry. The only bbq I get is what I make myself on the backyard Weber. It's good...but it's not that good. I've got a decent recipe, but in the end it's just a substitute for the real stuff. Everytime I return to NC, my Dad picks me up at RDU and we head straight to a bbq restaurant.

Bob Green
    Yokosuka, Japan

i've never had any bbq in n.c. that beats mccabes' bbq in manning s.c it's just off i-95. vinegar based sauce with a good woody taste to the pork. they also have hash which you usually don't find up north (carolina that is). don't confuse it with d&h bbq which is even closer to 95 or you will be disappointed. my family lives in orangeburg, sc which has at least 6 different bbq joints and we still drive hours round trip to manning for their 'q' for special occasions.

we've got a new rash of bbq places here in charleston. the best being fiery ron's home team bbq in west ashley. i don't know what kind of wood they're smokin' but it will knock you on your butt. didn't like their sauce that much though. think it was some kinda yankee red sauce. i plan on bring some oif their 'q' home sunday for the big game and slathering some scotts' sauce on it.

and while i like vinegar based sauces best, mustard can be mighty fine, too, if it's done right.