Page 21 of 33 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by duketaylor View Post
    Sigh, very few good places for BBQ here in Richmond (please, nobody tell me Buzz and Ned's is awesome, it ain't).
    Carter's in Mechanicsville is very good and I need to try Alamo!!
    I agree on Buzz and Ned's. I was totally underwhelmed.

You need to wander down I64 to Exit 258B (Newport News/Yorktown) and hit the County Grill. Great 'que (pulled pork, ribs, chicken, sausage), great smoked wings, adequate briskit (good for the east coast), very good sides, and an excellent selection of craft beers on tap. All of our Richmond relatives come to visit us and insist on going there. They are trying to talk the owner into opening in Richmond.

Quote Originally Posted by ArnieMc View Post
    You need to wander down I64 to Exit 258B (Newport News/Yorktown) and hit the County Grill.
    Thanks for the tip! I work in Newport News so a lunchtime trip to the County Grill is a possibility.

I'd be interested in hearing folks opinion on grocery store bought BBQ. On visits to Fayetteville, I've been stopping at Carlie C's on my way out of town to bring a couple of pounds with me back to Virginia. It is quality BBQ. Do other NC grocery stores sell BBQ by the pound?
    Bob Green

ArnieMc, will do and thanks! Maybe Bob Green and I can meet for lunch down there this week-I'm always up for a roadtrip

Maybe Bob Green and I can meet for lunch down there this week-I'm always up for a roadtrip
    I'm unavailable this week, but definitely interested in meeting for lunch the week of 30 June.
    Bob Green

ArnieMc, will do and thanks! Maybe Bob Green and I can meet for lunch down there this week-I'm always up for a roadtrip
    I'm always available. PM me and I'll host. I'd love to meet some more DBRers.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Doesn't Tuffy Stone (of BBQ Pitmasters fame) still have a place in Richmond? Never tried it, just wondering. Obviously he can cook.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Tuffy has 4 restaurants here and is working on another with another guy that's a little different concept (I think). I've talked to his partner here, very nice folks. I've had their 'Cue and brisket, both very good. Not the best in the area, but up there.

ArnieMc, I'll PM you either tonight or tomorrow. I look forward to it!

Quote Originally Posted by Ima Facultiwyfe View Post
    City Barbecue in Cary is the closest ... but still not it.
    It's close enough for me.

Rockingham/Laurinburg/Lumberton suggestions?

Traveling down the 74's from W-S to Carolina Beach tomorrow afternoon. Any recommendations for good cue in Rockingham or Lauringburg or Lumberton?
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Traveling down the 74's from W-S to Carolina Beach tomorrow afternoon. Any recommendations for good cue in Rockingham or Lauringburg or Lumberton?
    Blake's Restaurant in Candor (right near the Candor/Rt. 211 exit of the Interstate) may work for you. Not strictly a barbecue place, but it does have barbecue, also meat and two vegetable type place. Been in business for 66 years. Candor advertises itself as the Peach Capital; you should see lots of good fruit/vegetable stands in that area and on the way to Rockingham.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Blake's Restaurant in Candor (right near the Candor/Rt. 211 exit of the Interstate) may work for you. Not strictly a barbecue place, but it does have barbecue, also meat and two vegetable type place. Been in business for 66 years. Candor advertises itself as the Peach Capital; you should see lots of good fruit/vegetable stands in that area and on the way to Rockingham.
    I love this thread but shouldn't the thread title be changed? If I have a question about bourbon, bluegrass or horse racing I'll defer to KY. I might even give some cursory attention to Northern KY's wisdom regarding fried chicken but what do they know about BBQ? I don't even know what Kentucky style BBQ would be.

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    I love this thread but shouldn't the thread title be changed? If I have a question about bourbon, bluegrass or horse racing I'll defer to KY. I might even give some cursory attention to Northern KY's wisdom regarding fried chicken but what do they know about BBQ? I don't even know what Kentucky style BBQ would be.
    Shirley, you jest.

How else is bbq going to remain on the on-topic board?

Super "Would love to see a new home and home series with Kentucky" Dave

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    Shirley, you jest.

How else is bbq going to remain on the on-topic board?

Super "Would love to see a new home and home series with Kentucky" Dave
    That is supercorrect, superdave, and moving the thread to the off topic board would put BBQ in the same class with The Longest Thread Ever.

Y'all know my opinion on a name change. Heck, I'm even learning to put a little sauce on my BBQ here in Asheville.

ricks

Quote Originally Posted by ricks68 View Post
    Y'all know my opinion on a name change. Heck, I'm even learning to put a little sauce on my BBQ here in Asheville.

ricks
    Blueberry chipotle by any chance.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Reading this thread has nearly convinced me to ditch work early and go to 12 Bones. Why must they only be open for lunch during the week??? Do they not understand how inconvenient that is for the mattman?

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    Reading this thread has nearly convinced me to ditch work early and go to 12 Bones. Why must they only be open for lunch during the week??? Do they not understand how inconvenient that is for the mattman?
    Do you want me to call them and straighten them out about this? I'm sure I can persuade them to change their schedule at least one day a week for you.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    Do you want me to call them and straighten them out about this? I'm sure I can persuade them to change their schedule at least one day a week for you.
    You would do that for me?

I might have to get Ricks68 to just make a delivery for me

Asheville que report to come later tonight.

Side note: it isn't 12 bones.

We ended up stopping at Fuller's in Lumberton, right off I-95. (Apparently there is a location in Fayetteville as well.) It is all-you-can-eat, buffet-style Southern cookin'. We loved it! Great cue with a really good, spicy vinegar sauce. Lots & lots of sides, and I thought the collards & black-eyed peas were the best. Lots of other meats, too (mostly fried), including a good softshell crab. Good dessert selection, too, with quality nana puddin'. And, at 5:00 pm on a Friday, it was PACKED. Definitely a do-again when we are in this neck of the woods.