Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Olympic Team

  1. #1

    Olympic Team

    Do you think Coach K's involvement with the Olympic basketball team helps or hurts Duke basketball.

    As first I thought it would hurt. It seemed to me that coaching Duke and coaching the Olympic team were two jobs that should have been filled by two different people and for one person to do both would stretch him very thin.

    I altered my view a little when I heard that K was picking up some things from his assistants on the Olympic team.

    Now I understand that K and the entire Duke staff is going to the Olympics. While that should be a great experience for them, what does it do for Duke? My guess is that Roy Williams and his staff will evaluating and perhaps meeting future recruits, preparing the next year, etc etc etc and K and staff will be in China.

    Your thoughts.

    SoCal

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    The City of Brotherly Love
    In the long run it could be as simple as gold=good, anything less is bad. In other words, gold equals a lot of cache to leverage while losing adds to the perception that K has lost his touch in addition to the distractions you cited.

  3. #3
    a golf medal would be great - but think about this as recruiting amo:

    Kobe, Lebron, Dwight Howard et al saying how great it was to play for coach K. We saw some of that last summer, a good showing and the NBA superstars could be heaping some heavy praise on K. Walk into a kids home and say "your game reminds me a lot of Kobe's, and he flourished playing for me when we won gold at the Olympics."
    My Quick Smells Like French Toast.

  4. #4
    Has Kobe ever attended a game in Cameron? Of course, the seasons overlap but I was just curious if he might have stopped by. I don't recall ever seeing or hearing about non-Duke pros coming to a game.

  5. #5

    excellent point!

    Quote Originally Posted by steven52682 View Post
    a golf medal would be great - but think about this as recruiting amo:

    Kobe, Lebron, Dwight Howard et al saying how great it was to play for coach K. We saw some of that last summer, a good showing and the NBA superstars could be heaping some heavy praise on K. Walk into a kids home and say "your game reminds me a lot of Kobe's, and he flourished playing for me when we won gold at the Olympics."
    I had thought the time away would hurt with recruiting, but you're right. Talk about great exposure and a great recruiting tool! Olympic basketball could end up as a great recruiting tool for Duke! It could also backfire, but let's be optimistic.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDukeFan View Post
    Now I understand that K and the entire Duke staff is going to the Olympics. While that should be a great experience for them, what does it do for Duke? My guess is that Roy Williams and his staff will evaluating and perhaps meeting future recruits, preparing the next year, etc etc etc and K and staff will be in China.
    This is possible, and likely, but bear in mind this is really a short-term consequence. While Ol' Roy is probably cornering the market on big men for the next few years, Coach K and his staff are doing what they can to make Duke more recognizable internationally. In my opinion this could have some terrific long-term implications. Consider it a legacy-building opportunity.

    So, to sum up: Olympics may be a minus for Duke recruiting in 2009 and 2010, but a major plus for Duke recruiting from 2011 on, or at least until President Battier signs some sort of executive order.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Mount Kisco, NY

    Positive...

    ....because it keeps K interested in coaching. I am afraid the guy is going to want to shuck it all and become some kind of corporate CEO, TV personality, politician or evangelist. Anything that keeps him on the sideline is ok with me.

  8. #8

    Unless

    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    ....because it keeps K interested in coaching. I am afraid the guy is going to want to shuck it all and become some kind of corporate CEO, TV personality, politician or evangelist. Anything that keeps him on the sideline is ok with me.
    The experience makes him want to coach the pros in the NBA.

    SoCal

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley

    Totally helps

    I do not think that this year would have been successful as it was if K hadn't brought his Olympic experience back to Durham. It is good to see an old dog can still learn new tricks. He still falls back on his old ways, which I think hurt us in the end this year, but it was refreshing to see a new approach. I think as a team, including the coaching staff, they had more fun than they have had in a long while.

Similar Threads

  1. Olympic team PG
    By dkbaseball in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 04-30-2008, 01:25 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-03-2007, 03:05 PM
  3. Shakespeare authorship question -- Olympic Fan
    By dkbaseball in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-20-2007, 02:54 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •