Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Partly Orlando, FL partly heard Sandpoint, ID

Movies so bad they are good

Ok, so we've done what are some awful movies. But what about the movies that are so atrociously bad, they end up being quite good, if not in the way they were intended perhaps.

The king of the genre to me is Flash Gordon. A whole bunch of name actors. Some decent money spent on sets, costumes, and special effects that looked bad even back in the day. And dialogue that a 3rd grader would be ashamed to have written. But it just so much fun to sit back and laugh at(not with, at). Plus of course, the soundtrack did kick butt.

Then there was Dune. Not the scifi miniseries, but the 1984 or so feature movie. To this day I still have some friends that I can, out of the blue, whisper "The sleeper must awaken", "Is he the one?" which will kick of a long fest of whisper quoting with mocking "Why is everyone whispering?" "Because its the only way to say these lines with a straight face"

And hey, to top it off I'll add another scifi pick(the genre seems to beg for such consideration, really)... Stargate. I was actually a fan of the TV show, but the movie I just can't help but laugh at(probably didn't help that the first time I watched it was with a bunch of semi to fully inebriated folks who couldn't resist shouting things like "Wheel.... of.... Fortune" as the gate started to spin.

You Got Served

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

I've always felt Army of Darkness fell into this category.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Summer Rental
    One Crazy Summer/Better Off Dead
    Spies Like Us
    Iron Eagle
    I'm Gonna Git You Sucka
    Cocktails

Dude, Where's my car

I gotta go with:

"Night of the Comet" - Two girls from the Valley wake up to find that a passing comet has eradicated their world and left behind a mysterious red-dust and a pack of cannibal mutants. With the help of a friendly truck driver, the girls save the earth from a villainous "think tank," karate chop their way through flesh-eating zombies, and, of course, find time to go to the mall.

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    I gotta go with:

"Night of the Comet" - Two girls from the Valley wake up to find that a passing comet has eradicated their world and left behind a mysterious red-dust and a pack of cannibal mutants. With the help of a friendly truck driver, the girls save the earth from a villainous "think tank," karate chop their way through flesh-eating zombies, and, of course, find time to go to the mall.
    Funny, this movie really stuck with me over the years. I find myself referencing it more often than it deserves.

I was going to say UHF, but I think that one's just bad, not so bad it's good.

Here's my real answer:

Pootie Tang

David Cross as the Pootie Tang impersonator gets me every time.

Malibu's Most Wanted

Many Many Movies fit this description

Almost anything shown on TNT falls into this category - Roadhouse, Point Break, Iron Eagle, Rush Hour

Also, many of the Governator's do as well - Running Man and Total Recall come to mind.

The flag bearers in this category however are Segal and Van Damme. Has anyone ever seen Hard Target? Caught this on cable a while back, and the unintentional comedy and level of preposterous-ness is unrivaled. I challenge anyone to find a more ridiculous movie, but the fight/stunt scenes are so laughable that I would actually watch this if it were on.

Some of my favorites also include Harold and Kumar, Club Dread (my wife HATES this movie, but Pinacoladaberg is a classic), and Teen Wolf.
    Last edited by mkirsh; 03-28-2008 at 01:07 PM. Reason: grammar

To whoever mentioned "Cocktail," I second that vote. So bad it really IS funny.

"Cocktails and Dreams" VOMIT!!!

Guilty Pleasures

I think what you guys are talking about in this thread are guilty pleasures -- movies that you know are bad, but enjoy anyway.

Roadhouse is not one of my favorites, but I've heard a lot of people describe it as a guilty pleasure.

Personally, I like the the two Bill and Ted Movies. I know they are godawful, but I enjoy either one every time it's on.

BTW: Please don't confuse a guilty pleasure with an undiscovered masterpiece (a movie that you think is a great movie, even if the critics don't necessarily agree).

Roadhouse is a good one. I'll add Blue Heaven, Varsity Blues, The Program (doubling down on football movies) Bachelor Party and Big Trouble in Little China.
    Singler is IRON

I STILL GOT IT! -- Ryan Kelly, March 2, 2013

Starship Troopers is a blue chip stock of so-bad-it's-good. With lines like, "You're some kind of big fat smart bug, aren't you!"

Driven, a Sylvester Stallone over-emote fest about formula 1 car drivers.

Fear Dot Com, simply for the disbelief you will feel that someone tried to make a major motion picture in earnest about a haunted website. And that they weren't even able to secure the rights to the website "fear.com" ... so they settled for "feardotcommovie.com"

Die Hard 4, because by this point, they've taken what was a very believable regular joe cop in Die Hard 1, and have him fighting a Harrier jet on foot on a freeway.

Hackers was awesome, and only gets funnier with age. "28.8 kbps modem! "

I forgot about Blue Chips. Penny and Shaq really took the big screen by storm with that one.

Quote Originally Posted by ugadevil View Post
    I forgot about Blue Chips. Penny and Shaq really took the big screen by storm with that one.
    So did Bobby Hurley.

Quote Originally Posted by captmojo View Post
    So did Bobby Hurley.
    And Thomas Hill.

The Transporter
    Wonderful action plus wonderful dialog:
    "You were a soldier"
    "Past tense!"
    "I don't know what that means"

Cradle 2 the Grave
    Any movie with DMX, Jet Li, and Tom Arnold on the same screen must be wonderfully bad.

Gymkata? Oops, forgot about the "they are good" portion of the OP.
    Last edited by UncleBill; 03-28-2008 at 02:45 PM. Reason: tpyo

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    I've always felt Army of Darkness fell into this category.
    It was trying to be so bad that it was good. That doesn't count...