Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Capel Cashes In

Capel is extended for an additional 2 years, with a $300K raise per year (to $1.05M) plus a $600K bonus if he stays 6 years

http://www.cbs.sportsline.com/colleg...story/10742788

The suggestion is there was some substance to the SC rumors

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Capel is extended for an additional 2 years, with a $300K raise per year (to $1.05M) plus a $600K bonus if he stays 6 years

http://www.cbs.sportsline.com/colleg...story/10742788

The suggestion is there was some substance to the SC rumors
    Good for Jeff. Congratulations.

Hope he can crack the top 2 in that league, get up there with Texas and KU.

He deserves it. He has done a great job there. His team should be great next year if Griffin returns. They could be a tough out in the tournament with Griffin and an instant scoring option in Willie Warren. Capel has really made that team good quick.

Jeff Capel...future Duke coach?

I know (or at least hope) that Coach K has several years left in him, but here's looking into the future. Of the members of the Duke coaching family, Capel appears to be emerging as the best possible candidate as successor to Coach K.

Any thoughts?

Also, congrats to Jeff on his contract extension.

This actually makes me wonder - whay are people so concerend about having an alum, or a former player to be more specific, be the caoch somewhere? When did the athletic world get obsessed with lineage like this? I guess it is more rational than passing it down to your son (Sutton, Knight) but I would still think that we should go for the best coach available and interested and not limit it to Duke alums.

What's the advantage of alum as coach?

Continuity

Quote Originally Posted by Exiled_Devil View Post
    This actually makes me wonder - whay are people so concerend about having an alum, or a former player to be more specific, be the caoch somewhere? When did the athletic world get obsessed with lineage like this? I guess it is more rational than passing it down to your son (Sutton, Knight) but I would still think that we should go for the best coach available and interested and not limit it to Duke alums.

I think the assumption is that an alum knows the culture of the program, so if you like the way the program is performing under the departing coach one would think an alum has the best chance of keeping that going. I would say that Duke in particular, has a strong b-ball culture and an alum of Duke would know how to manage the program "the Duke way" better than anyone from the outside. Of course, if you're looking for change then going with a non-alum seems to make the most sense. I'm sure in reality there are many exceptions to these schools of thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Exiled_Devil View Post

I think that the two main reasons are familiarity and continuity. A former player/alumni/assistant coach is going to not only be more familiar with Duke's campus/facilities but also how Duke approaches academics and other non basketball type things. The fan base will also feel more comfortable with "one of our own". The other big advantage is that a K disciple is likely to embrace a similar style of basketball which we already know is successful and should make the transition for the players at the time of K's retirement a bit easier.

Plus, I think that it adds to the legend of the outgoing coach and to the mystique of the program.

Am I missing something, or isn't it pretty clear that Dawkins will be the successor?

Quote Originally Posted by freedevil View Post
    Am I missing something, or isn't it pretty clear that Dawkins will be the successor?
    There's always the chance that he doesn't want to be head coach. Slim, I guess, but he's passed up blue chip head coaching jobs before and may have just enjoyed his time as assistant head coach.

Ya'll know... we *did* boo Capel. Don't think he's forgotten that.

I think Dawkins is going to be the successor. One question is, do you think Collins or Wojo is really in contention for the Providence job?

Quote Originally Posted by Matches View Post
    Ya'll know... we *did* boo Capel. Don't think he's forgotten that.
    Maybe you did - but I didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Beem View Post
    Maybe you did - but I didn't.
    I mean "we" as a group. I wasn't at that game, but it was pretty noticeable on TV.

Hi,

My money is on Wojo being K's successor.

Best regards,
    Jeffrey

If anyone other than Johnny Dawkins takes over after Coach K it would be a travesty IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Matches View Post
    I mean "we" as a group. I wasn't at that game, but it was pretty noticeable on TV.
    Why would Capel get booed?

Coach K says that Dawkins is taking over the program. I don't know another reason why Dawkins would be sticking around all of this time if he's not waiting to pick up the reigns when Coach K leaves.

However, it is entirely possible that with their 11 year age difference (I'm pretty sure that's right, Dawkins '86, Capel '97), Capel could take over for Dawkins.

Quote Originally Posted by kramerbr View Post
    He was in the midst of going scoreless against FSU, following a run of about a season and a half where his play was generally considered to be poor and not team-oriented. There was a LOT of discussion at the time over whether we ought to ever boo our own players. I don't think any Duke player has been booed (at home) since.

Quote Originally Posted by kramerbr View Post
    Because he was playing terrible basketball at the time. I did not boo him. I have a feeling this post is turning into the story of how Capel got booed, which is not necessarily a bad thing b/c there's probably no chance that Capel gets the Duke job. I'm pretty sure it's Dawkins' when Coach K steps down.

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    Coach K says that Dawkins is taking over the program.
    Prove it.

Do you guys think that maybe, just maybe there is a chance that J.D. doesn't want to be a head coach? Do you think there is a chance that he is happy being the top assistant to K, and that perhaps there are certain things that come along with being the head coach at Duke that J.D. has no interest in dealing with?
    WWJDD?