Thread: Lou-Tenn

Lou-Tenn

This is a fun game...Tenn looks like they don't know what's going on half the time (like the 7:00 minute drought) but at others they seem pretty incredible. May not be great basketball, but exciting and fun it certainly is.

Agreed. Both teams play just on the edge of out of control. Not pretty basketball but very intense and fast.

Going to be a wild second half. Impressed by UT fighting back. Could've packed it in early.

I have to admit, if I could choose any coach to play for it'd probably be Bruce Pearl. I know you aren't really looking for a friend in a coach but he just seems like a totally fun guy that would keep things interesting and fun for a long season. Not that K doesn't do that, the Duke bball team is a family but the excitement around Pearl is awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by brtnsbs View Post
    I have to admit, if I could choose any coach to play for it'd probably be Bruce Pearl. I know you aren't really looking for a friend in a coach but he just seems like a totally fun guy that would keep things interesting and fun for a long season. Not that K doesn't do that, the Duke bball team is a family but the excitement around Pearl is awesome.
    The excitement around Pearl may be relocating to Indiana in a couple of weeks.

Personally, I think the media will turn on this guy the moment he gives them reason to. That said, he is one outstanding coach and will be for a long time, no matter where he goes.

I agree I think he's going to Indiana. I think he should go too, go be the big man on campus where bball is #1 sport on campus. As long as he can recruit that area after the fallout from the Illinois scandal that he reported.

I agree I think he's going to Indiana. I think he should go too, go be the big man on campus where bball is #1 sport on campus. As long as he can recruit that area after the fallout from the Illinois scandal that he reported.
    That would be the only reason IU wouldn't offer him the gig. If they want someone spotless they'd go with Tony Bennett-but I don't think they want his style of play.

Pearl would put IU at or near the top of the Big 10 for a long while.

Honestly, unless Indiana throws a ton more money at him than Tennessee is willing to I think he should stay at Tennessee. I mean, he's already successful there, its a big school, and as far as I know the basketball fans there aren't nearly as tough to please as Indiana. I think he'd have more success at Tenn. than he would if he went to Indiana. Maybe I'm just down on Indiana, but if I were a coach I'd much rather build something of my own than rebuild something. It seems like it would be more rewarding, and maybe more fun. I may be wrong though. I just don't like coaches leaving schools they're having success at (tourney level success) to go to another school just because the other school has a richer basketball history. Stop living in the past and start building new powerhouse schools to replace the old ones (except Duke, which of course should remain powerful for all eternity).

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Honestly, unless Indiana throws a ton more money at him than Tennessee is willing to I think he should stay at Tennessee. I mean, he's already successful there, its a big school, and as far as I know the basketball fans there aren't nearly as tough to please as Indiana. I think he'd have more success at Tenn. than he would if he went to Indiana. Maybe I'm just down on Indiana, but if I were a coach I'd much rather build something of my own than rebuild something. It seems like it would be more rewarding, and maybe more fun. I may be wrong though. I just don't like coaches leaving schools they're having success at (tourney level success) to go to another school just because the other school has a richer basketball history. Stop living in the past and start building new powerhouse schools to replace the old ones (except Duke, which of course should remain powerful for all eternity).
    Good points, but he can leave a school where he's third on the ladder (way, way behind UT football and behind Summitt's program as well, though he's closing in) and go to a place where he is unquestionably #1.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    I'm not up on my UT news, but I'd be surprised if Pearl left Knoxville. For one, the university has shown a committment to improving the facilities for Pearl and they've really done a nice job of renovating their basketball arena. He's got that program on the way to becoming a yearly contender on a national level. They had no trouble at all selling out the season tickets for this season. Also, while football is No. 1 for Rocky Top, Pearl is much more popular right now than Phil Fulmer. Pearl is gaining fans left and right at Tennessee, Fulmer is dodging requests for his head.

People love him at UT. Not to mention, he's got great players coming back at Tennessee (He will only lose Lofton and J. Smith). If he were to move to IU, the cupboard would be TOTALLY bare (Gordon is gone, and DJ White is out of eligibility). Then theres the possibility of IU being under NCAA sanctions (which IS a real possibility still, and he wouldn't know until AFTer taking the job what the final outcome would be).