Thread: NBA talent

NBA talent

I think we currently have 5 guys who could play in the NBA; Gerald, Kyle and Jon are pretty solid candidates while Nolan has shown flashes of that kind of talent and 7 footers with some skill are hard to come by which is why Z could be in the NBA one day
    Gerald and Kyle have already garnered lots of media and hype for a future in the NBA.
    Jon seems to have a similar game to that of Kirk Hinrich (Bulls via Kansas). I don't know much about Hinrich's 1st 2 seasons at KU, so it's hard to compare #s, but Jon has done nothing so far to put him out of the discussion for an NBA future. Not that he needs to become a PG but if/when he starts handling the ball more, I think people will start realizing just how good he is, and how athletic he is.
    Nolan could make it in the NBA, but he must become a better ball-handler b/c there are plenty of guys in the NBA who can penetrate and get to the rim and/or shoot better than him. Having a really good handle on the ball would make it harder to keep him out of the league.
    Aaron Gray made it and he's not any nimbler than Brian however, Brian must put a finer finish on his game. He must not blow open dunks any more and show that he can use some low-block moves to score. He must also get stronger in the legs. He was pretty effective after returning from injury on a per-minute basis, basically 1 statistical unit per min. played ie, 8 mp=4pts+3rebs+1block (not that each s.u. has equal value). When he starts getting more minutes and becoming a better-known commodity, I think Brian will get a look from the NBA. Tall guys with some skill can make it, look at Shavlik. Despite several injuries and public perception against him, he's still in the NBA.
    Taylor King is a super-long shot (;0) to make it, but if he can get in better shape and develop more all-around game it might be impossible for NBA teams to ignore his 3pt ability.
    Paulus was a super-duper-long-shot to make it but after breaking his foot and remaining slow, I don't think he can, despite his good 3pt and FT shooting.
    Someone else was claiming LT would be a 1st-rounder. I don't see it. He may be quick, but he has yet to learn how to use it to his advantage and he has not been an effective shooter from the field nor on FTs. There are a lot of 6'8 guys in the league that can do more things than LT has shown that he can do up to this point.

I guess it depends on what you mean by play in the NBA. If you consider it making the NBA then I would say we have a few. However you consider it playing decent minutes I'd say we have 1 maybe 2.

Henderson is long and athletic the last time I checked ESPN's top 100 prospects I believe he was the top Dukie. In my opinion he is Duke's best future NBA player.

I'm not sure on Singler, I'm not sure what position he would play in the NBA a 3? He's good I see him more of a role, player like the 2nd guy off the bench type.

Nolan had sporatic minutes this year so I guess it depends on how he plays. He is definately athletic and as long as he bulks up a little he can be a decent NBA player.

I really don't think Zoubek has a chance, unless he finally stays healthy and muscles up. We will see how this offseason goes.

Jon Scheyer has bball smarts for sure. I really feel he'd have to be in the right situation and be no more than a role player for a good team.

Paulus, no chance. Not fast or big enough.

Just my 2 cents. I've been lurking on the boards a while but finally decided to start posting.

Scheyer and Hinrich

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInBrasil View Post
    Jon seems to have a similar game to that of Kirk Hinrich (Bulls via Kansas). I don't know much about Hinrich's 1st 2 seasons at KU, so it's hard to compare #s, but Jon has done nothing so far to put him out of the discussion for an NBA future. Not that he needs to become a PG but if/when he starts handling the ball more, I think people will start realizing just how good he is, and how athletic he is.
    Hinrich was impressively athletic at KU. I recall being very surprised by his numerous dunks over people coming down the lane. I don't think Jon is at that level. That said, he is a bit bigger.

Just thinking of Jon in the NBA brings up thoughts of JJ. No doubt JJ is the better offensive player. Will Jon be significantly better in the defense, handle, passing, and rebounding areas by his senior year? JJ needs some PT.

I wonder where D-mark will get drafted. I saw 54th to Denver as one projection. It'd be neat though if he could work his way back up and go play near home for the Kings. I hope last weekend didn't hurt too much.

By the way, Aaron Gray is in the NBA. There is hope for Z.

I think that King could find a spot in the NBA as a marksman off the bench. He could be instant offense off the bench and average like ten points a game.

Quote Originally Posted by pless55 View Post
    I think that King could find a spot in the NBA as a marksman off the bench. He could be instant offense off the bench and average like ten points a game.
    I'm optimistic about all of our players, but it's unusual for players to score more in the NBA than they do in college. That said, TK has 3 more years to hone his skills.

TK's biggest asset is his size-if he improves over the next three years and becomes more consistent, he could make it.

Big guys who can shoot will usually find a home, even in spot duty.

I do Singler has good potential in the NBA to be a Mike Dunleavy like player and score about fourteen or fifteen points a game.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaymf7 View Post
    Hinrich was impressively athletic at KU. I recall being very surprised by his numerous dunks over people coming down the lane. I don't think Jon is at that level. That said, he is a bit bigger.

Just thinking of Jon in the NBA brings up thoughts of JJ. No doubt JJ is the better offensive player. Will Jon be significantly better in the defense, handle, passing, and rebounding areas by his senior year? JJ needs some PT.
    I'm not sure that I wouldn't say that Scheyer isn't a better all around player right now than Reddick was after 2 years. Look at their numbers:

Reddick: PPG RPG APG SPG MPG
    2003 15.0 2.5 2.0 1.2 30.7
    2004 15.9 3.1 1.6 0.7 31.1

Scheyer: PPG RPG APG SPG MPG
    2007 12.2 3.3 1.8 1.2 33.7
    2008 11.7 3.9 2.4 1.4 28.3

Reddick scored more points but Scheyer had better rebounding, assist and steal numbers. I also think that Scheyer would have been more of a scoring threat the last 2 years if he had been a little more confident in his outside shot. He is already showing some of the shot fakes, step back jumpers and other moves that Reddick didn't show until his junior year. Plus he is much more adept at driving the lane and his defense is better. Not to mention his dribbling and passing.

The problem for Scheyer in comparison to Reddick is that Reddick not only had a deadly out side shot but he had the cock sure attitude that always gave him an edge. I haven't seen that quite yet from Scheyer but if he ever develops it, I think that he has a higher ceiling than Reddick, even if he doesn't score 2,700 some odd points.