outside the lines first report

did anyone see the outside the lines first report this afternoon, discussion was on the shift in power on tobacco road. the main point being that unc has recruited better talent over the past 5 years than duke has, also had a sports nation poll, who would you rather coach your college team, k or roy williams, k led the voting 55 percent to 45 percent

also talked with a guest from 850 the buzz about the big men recruits duke has missed out of the past few years, wright,love, monroe. do i remember reading on this board that duke backed off of love because of the control his father wanted, possibly a promise of playing time???

People forget that before May, UNC whiffed on their big man too. The only reason May went to UNC is because Knight was fired at IU. I believe recruiting is cyclical. UNC is riding high now but even they are not getting all their top targets (Love, Delvon Roe, etc). It just seems they are casting a bigger net.

I have faith in Z and Lance. Sometimes it just takes time.

A promise of playing time??? How could he not get all the playing time they wanted? Do they really need a promise? Were they scared of Zoubek? I have to think it was something else. I hope it was.

It would have been something to have Love up against Tyler this year... but I hate this kind of thinking...

Edit: I didn't mean that as a rip on Zoubek, but I see now that it can read that way. I meant that you could be legitimately concerned about what some people said was a 7'2" unknown, and a system that's loaded with guards and seems to play one big, even if he didn't want to play center himself. I think that would have been a foolish concern, but it's hard to understand needing the promise of playing time; it's not like he's Humphries.
    Last edited by Lulu; 03-27-2008 at 07:06 PM.

In the same vain, I was having a discussion with a MD fan about UNC vs Duke and he brought up the point about UNC having to overcome the loss of Dean Smith and that Duke will have similar struggles when K retires. This got me thinking and the reality is that Roy is only 2-3 years younger than K so UNC will have to go through the same coaching change again in the not too distant future (Ol' Roy isn't going to coach at UNC for 25-30 years).

You have to think that the other acc coaches are hoping beyond hope that both retire with a year or 2 so that someone else can rule the acc for a few years.

Quote Originally Posted by kinghoops View Post
    also talked with a guest from 850 the buzz about the big men recruits duke has missed out of the past few years, wright,love, monroe. do i remember reading on this board that duke backed off of love because of the control his father wanted, possibly a promise of playing time???
    It was not a promise of playing time.

Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
    People forget that before May, UNC whiffed on their big man too. The only reason May went to UNC is because Knight was fired at IU. I believe recruiting is cyclical. UNC is riding high now but even they are not getting all their top targets (Love, Delvon Roe, etc). It just seems they are casting a bigger net.

I have faith in Z and Lance. Sometimes it just takes time.
    Yeah, there was a pretty long list of people that Doherty missed on - Eric Williams, Jason Fraser, Shav, Chris Bosh (IIRC), and Brad Buckman (again, IIRC) all from 2002, and I think David Harrison in 2001.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Quote Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
    It was not a promise of playing time.

I've heard is that Love was a rather poor student in high school, and that his low grades may have played a role in Duke backing off in his recruitment. This is secondhand information, but does come from people living in Love's hometown.

Quote Originally Posted by crote View Post
    I've heard is that Love was a rather poor student in high school, and that his low grades may have played a role in Duke backing off in his recruitment. This is secondhand information, but does come from people living in Love's hometown.
    Love's dad wasn't going to help with anything either; I would have loved to see him try to get K fired if his son wasn't getting enough playing time...

I don't think we recruit anyone who has the potential of having a chin strap during their tenure.

Chin strap! Good one.

Experts on sports

Did anyone happen to see in the NY Times this morning that the Duke men were once again voted as the #1 favorite basketball team in the country? I can't find it in the on-line version (but it was in print). Seems like they have been #1 or 2 for the past decade with one exception (a #3). UNC isn't close...

So maybe there are some Duke lovers out there who just aren't as obnoxious as the detractors?
    DukeDevilDeb

Quote Originally Posted by DukeDevilDeb View Post
    Did anyone happen to see in the NY Times this morning that the Duke men were once again voted as the #1 favorite basketball team in the country? I can't find it in the on-line version (but it was in print). Seems like they have been #1 or 2 for the past decade with one exception (a #3). UNC isn't close...

So maybe there are some Duke lovers out there who just aren't as obnoxious as the detractors?
    that is why in their poll, i was suprised that k was a leader over ole roy, with all the duke haters, i knew they would vote for roy over k