Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: I hate UNC!

Remember when the team used to get booed under Doherty? When that happens in Cameron, let me know.
    I or someone in my family attended every home game under Doherty, and I do not recall the team ever being booed. I remember one game when it was so quiet that you could hear a group of Kentucky fans booing, which was attributed to Carolina fans by a couple of people on the old DBR board. A couple of people also mentioned Jeff Capel being booed by Duke fans at one point in the same discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    Cato the Elder or the Younger? A few generations apart...

-jk
    OK. My knowledge of Roman history is limited to reading McCullough's books.

Quote Originally Posted by Classof06 View Post
    Remember when the team used to get booed under Doherty? When that happens in Cameron, let me know.
    There is the infamous (and much-disputed) Jeff Capel incident.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    There is the infamous (and much-disputed) Jeff Capel incident.
    I was there. I heard some boos. But more sighs and groans. It was an unpleasant time: Jeff gave us his best, and that wasn't good enough for some people in the stands (and I won't call them "fans").

The sense of entitlement goes back a-ways. "Sometimes it just bes that way."

-jk

I hate Carolina

I do not like Carolina and I will never pull for them. Their fans that I come in contact with where I live are mostly obnoxious. If they lose you would never know that a ballgame had been played. Basketball is never mentioned. If they win everyone is talking Carolina basketball with all their light blue clothes on. I will give them credit for what they have accomplished. The sooner they lose in the NCAA the happier I will be. The only NC team I am pulling for now is Davidson.

I was there. I heard some boos. But more sighs and groans. It was an unpleasant time: Jeff gave us his best, and that wasn't good enough for some people in the stands (and I won't call them "fans").

The sense of entitlement goes back a-ways. "Sometimes it just bes that way."

-jk
    Yeah, it came across as groans on the TV. He was awful that day.

Quote Originally Posted by Classof06 View Post
    I'm not saying Duke fans our perfect but I went to Duke for 4 years and spent countless hours both in Durham and on UNC's campus in Chapel Hill and I will say Duke fans are not as bad as UNC fans. They're just not. There are a lot of terrible Duke fans out there and I'm still not convinced. That's just my $0.02.
    I'm a fairly rabid Heel fan, myself, and plenty of my brethren have the healthy respect you mention. I'm the first to admit that Duke program owned UNC's for several years recently, and that K was the very best coach in the business. Didn't like it, but facts are facts. I make no apology for the ones who can't see things rationally.

But I figure there are morons on both sides of the aisle. I've heard Duke fans say the worst kinds of things about Dean Smith, and those things didn't seem too rational to me. Likewise re Roy----I mean, he's a pretty good guy, it seems to me. I get the ragging on Rasheed Wallace and Makhtar and so on and so forth, but some of the shots are pretty cheap. But I just think it goes both ways. It may seem that the UNC fans are worse simply by virtue of sheer numbers---there are probably more Carolina fans than Duke fans, generally. So the volume is simply louder.

Anyway, I love the rivalry and I guess all the hate is part by-product and part what makes it so fun.

Have a good off-season and we'll look forward to more fun next year.

Actually...

Quote Originally Posted by freedevil View Post
    Interesting first post. Interesting.
    I posted here years ago. Tried not to stir things up too much and tried to be as civil as I could (accepting that as a Tar Heel fan I am an irrational lunatic and am subject to natural limitations). I even congratulated you folks after your last championship, as I recall.

So not really a first post.

Not sure why I came back. Just for the fun of it I guess. Not to gloat or anything, I promise.

Cato the Elder or the Younger? A few generations apart...

-jk
    Perhaps they mean Kelvin Cato?

I hate UNC fans, UNC students, UNC players. I hate their chess team, their math squad, I hate their custodians and I especially hate Roy Williams. Where does this hatred come from? As a Duke grad growing up in North Carolina (a small town to boot) it was sickening to watch UNC kids in my school act like they owned the universe because grandpa went to Pharmacy school in Chapel Hill, or because Dad was a business major and started a hardware store on Main Street. UNC fans always say that Dukies are elitist but from my perspective in NC its the UNC fans who act like ECU, NCSU, etc grads are somehow far inferior and somehow not worth a darn. UNC grads just act like they own the world, when they might only own a few hundred acres outside of Whiteville.

Now you ask why do I hate there custodians, chess team etc...? Isn't hate a strong word? Is it not true that some of them are good people? Sure, but unfortunately they all decided to be affilated with the place and therefore they have chosen to be hated. May they all go to hell.

More reasons to hate Carolina

1. Julius Peppers intercepting a pass and running it back for a touchdown while taking a diving plunge into the endzone when no one was near him during my senior day. May his NFL career end prematurely.

2. The idiot kicker running into our helmet after beating us on a last second kick. May his sons excel in ballet and figure skating.

Here's to hoping that Coach Cut's starts the domination of the Holes in football in the near future.

Smile Ah yes!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Cicero View Post
    Given my posting name, I feel duty-bound to note that Cicero did not hate Carthage--indeed, Carthage was destroyed in the 3rd Punic War, which ended forty years before Cicero was born.

Perhaps you're thinking of Cato, who also posts (or at least used to) on this board.
    Ok..I am more embarassed that I was thinking of Cato and wrote Cicero as opposed to misspelling Tarheel. Thank you Cicero!!

If I was not a Gentleman

Given my posting name, I feel duty-bound to note that Cicero did not hate Carthage--indeed, Carthage was destroyed in the 3rd Punic War, which ended forty years before Cicero was born.

Perhaps you're thinking of Cato, who also posts (or at least used to) on this board.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aziggazoomba View Post
    I posted here years ago. Tried not to stir things up too much and tried to be as civil as I could (accepting that as a Tar Heel fan I am an irrational lunatic and am subject to natural limitations). I even congratulated you folks after your last championship, as I recall.

So not really a first post.

Not sure why I came back. Just for the fun of it I guess. Not to gloat or anything, I promise.

If I were not a gentleman I would not dignify your "Hate Hate hate" post with a response.

Well then

Quote Originally Posted by wumhenry View Post
    OK, then let's hate 'em for plagiarizing!
    That begs me to question who came up with it first?

Indeed. Although someone already used my tagline earlier in the thread, I am duty bound to conclude:

Carolina Delenda Est.

I enjoy rooting against UNC, and I love the rivalry as a whole, beating them at Chapel Hill really helped make this year so much better than last year. That said, I have a pretty good rapport with some UNC fans (I'm married to one) so I always try to treat the team and their fans with respect. I think both Duke and UNC benefit from the scale and now national import of the rivalry, they are always trying to one up the other. So I can't say I hate UNC (thats reserved for UConn). Sure, there are plenty of simple minded bandwagon jumpers who, in NC anyway, love the tarheels and are annoying people to be around. I think Duke has a lot of obnoxious bandwagon jumpers as well, particularly during the late 90's early 2000's

To be more succinct, I can appreciate any hole fan that can discuss basketball reasonably and not act like a moron.

Am I the only one who thinks the world of sport would be much better off if the word "hate" didn't get casually tossed around w/r/t how one feels toward another team and its fanbase - or if people didn't get themselves so irrationally riled up to the point that they actually feel genuine hatred toward another team and its fanbase? Hatred is a really nasty and destructive emotion...
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Am I the only one who thinks the world of sport would be much better off if the word "hate" didn't get casually tossed around w/r/t how one feels toward another team and its fanbase - or if people didn't get themselves so irrationally riled up to the point that they actually feel genuine hatred toward another team and its fanbase? Hatred is a really nasty and destructive emotion...
    I agree.

GO WASH ST!!!!

You are not alone! You've stated better than I what's been on my mind as I read and hear some of the comments people make. Sports should offer a venue for people to behave their best, not an outlet for irrational or immature conduct.