Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by ClosetHurleyFan View Post
    I doubt its really a case of envy. Its a fantastic school.

I once heard that Davidson's grads hold more CEO positions of NC companies than any other school in the state. Very interesting....
    I'm not sure that second stat says much about Duke, since (as we're often reminded) the majority of the students are out-of-state, and usually don't stay here when they graduate. In fact, I'm getting out of here this summer, and dragging an NC-born Dukie with me

I wouldn't totally discount the "envy" explanation, because even though Davidson is a good school, it doesn't really get the recognition it probably deserves. So it may be more a matter of prestige and name recognition than quality. In other parts of the country, everyone knows about Duke, and most people know what a good school UNC is... but a lot haven't even heard of Davidson.

Glutton,

Your comments have some validity, but the point is that the vast majority of Davidson students are not envious of the "prestige" you described. To the contrary, Davidson kids are mostly quite happy knowing the value of the school they attend. Doc

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetHurleyFan View Post
    very common for the Davidson grads to be the best legal writers of the bunch. I doubt its really a case of envy. Its a fantastic school.
    Not surprised by this -- when I worked for a news organization covering Congress in DC, Davidson grads were up and down the editorial chain -- great writers and editors.

And really nice people to boot. Most of the grads I knew chose to go to Davidson for specific reasons -- it was most definitely NOT a case of not getting in elsewhere. (I know, hard to believe that Duke isn't first choice for everyone for undergrad... )

But I still mocked them for just wanting to go there for the free laundry service.

Having spent a significant amount of time in the academic community in the Carolinas, I have believed for a long time that Davidson is the best undergrad school in the south. There are other great schools -- Duke and Furman are right up there -- but what other school has "MGs on the Green?"

more students headed to Detroit

"Davidson College is sending an additional 200 students to Detroit Sunday morning to see the school's basketball team play for a trip to the Final Four for free.More than 350 students have already made the trip, but 200 more are expected to board buses at 3 a.m. Sunday to see the Wildcats take on Kansas at Ford Field at 5 p.m. "

http://www.charlotte.com/wildcats/story/558073.html