Coaches VS Cancer

This was mentioned in another thread, but I thought it deserved its own. Duke is going to be hosting a regional site for next years 2K CVC classic, with the other regionals being hosted by Pitt, UCLA, and Michigan. Since arguably the 2 most appealing finals would be Duke-UCLA (tradition anyone), and Pitt-UCLA (Ben Howland led Pitts revival you know), it seems likely that we'd have to beat Pitt and UCLA if we want to win the thing. That sounds like a good first bit of scheduling news for those of us who want Duke to play in the big games early in the season.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowfax336 View Post
    This was mentioned in another thread, but I thought it deserved its own. Duke is going to be hosting a regional site for next years 2K CVC classic, with the other regionals being hosted by Pitt, UCLA, and Michigan. Since arguably the 2 most appealing finals would be Duke-UCLA (tradition anyone), and Pitt-UCLA (Ben Howland led Pitts revival you know), it seems likely that we'd have to beat Pitt and UCLA if we want to win the thing. That sounds like a good first bit of scheduling news for those of us who want Duke to play in the big games early in the season.
    Boy, talk about one of these things is not like the other. The CVC couldn't find anyone better than Michigan from the Big 10?
    Your theory about the Pitt-UCLA road is also likely given that Michigan is (I believe) already going to be on our schedule, so whatever authority we have to exert over the tournament seeding may be done in such a way to stick the Michigan regional on the opposite side of the bracket.

By my count, we already have (expected) games against Pitt, UCLA, Georgetown, and Wisconsin/Purdue - none of which should be at home. That's looking good.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    Boy, talk about one of these things is not like the other. The CVC couldn't find anyone better than Michigan from the Big 10?
    Your theory about the Pitt-UCLA road is also likely given that Michigan is (I believe) already going to be on our schedule, so whatever authority we have to exert over the tournament seeding may be done in such a way to stick the Michigan regional on the opposite side of the bracket.

By my count, we already have (expected) games against Pitt, UCLA, Georgetown, and Wisconsin/Purdue - none of which should be at home. That's looking good.
    yes, the schedule is looking good. I was also confused about Michigan being a possible opponent in the tournament and once again in the regular games. Well, chances are they may not even survive their regional.

A possible Duke-Pitt match-up, hmmm, talk about revenge.

4. I can bet they are trying to set it up for UCLA and Duke in the final... That means UCLA would likely draw Pitt in the semi's.

I wouldn't mind seeing Pitt again especially at MSG. Either way I'm gonna be there.

agreed

Word, I'm considering pulling an overnight visit to the big Apple. It'd be a good test for us similar to what UNC did this year going on the road(granted they never played a ranked team in that stretch). Also, we are due for another roady to take on the Johnny's at MSG. IS the C vs. C played Thanksgiving Week?

Quote Originally Posted by geraldsneighbor View Post
    Word, I'm considering pulling an overnight visit to the big Apple. It'd be a good test for us similar to what UNC did this year going on the road(granted they never played a ranked team in that stretch). Also, we are due for another roady to take on the Johnny's at MSG. IS the C vs. C played Thanksgiving Week?
    Are you really Gerald's neighbor?

Haha sort of

He lives 15 minutes from me in near by Blue Bell. I've met his pops a few times. I'm hoping to score a round of golf with them all one day. Gerald Jr. was a 0 handicap as a 9th grader. I'm a golfer myself, so it'd be neat to play with them once and around G's age. I would get two shots from G.

Quote Originally Posted by duke5021 View Post
    I can bet they are trying to set it up for UCLA and Duke in the final... That means UCLA would likely draw Pitt in the semi's.

I wouldn't mind seeing Pitt again especially at MSG. Either way I'm gonna be there.
    Exactly. They would want to guarantee the Pitt-UCLA matchup by placing it in the semis. I'd bet a good bit of money that we're on the other side of the bracket.

Quote Originally Posted by geraldsneighbor View Post
    It's the week before Thanksgiving. Duke should be at St. John's, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
    It's the week before Thanksgiving. Duke should be at St. John's, yes.
    So does this mean that the annual game in the NYC area will be the CVC, rather than at MSG in late December? Will the CVC be in the Meadowlands or MSG?
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    So does this mean that the annual game in the NYC area will be the CVC, rather than at MSG in late December? Will the CVC be in the Meadowlands or MSG?
    CVC is at the Garden. The December game is a good question -- I'll try to find an answer.

While Jumbo and Ozzie are very honest/forthright/knowledgeable posters, and I have no reason to disbelieve them, is there any public source for any of this info? the 2K Sports website has zilch on the 2008 tourney. Any links would be great. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by MattyB. View Post
    While Jumbo and Ozzie are very honest/forthright/knowledgeable posters, and I have no reason to disbelieve them, is there any public source for any of this info? the 2K Sports website has zilch on the 2008 tourney. Any links would be great. Thanks!
    There you go

Thanks for that link, wisteria.

I certainly wouldn't mind having a mid December heavyweight bout with 'Zona in MSG. Chase Budinger will likely return to hone his game, and there is talk that Lute might be able to convince Bayless to stay another year in order to team up with arguably 2008's top player, Brandon Jennings. If this all plays out, 'Zona will be a preseason top five and a very serious national title contender. And even if Bayless does leave, Arizona slips in another tremendous guard and will still be a major player in '09.

With the club we will be fielding next year, that game could be legendary, much like the Duke-Kentucky game from the Meadowlands in the 2001 Jimmy V Classic.

But, with all that Lute and Coach K stuff going on, the little grudge or whatever, it probably won't ever happen. Not that it was going to, anyway. What a fun game that would be, though. I would be insanely jacked up for that.