Thread: Rumor

Rumor

A college friend of mine who teaches at UNC says that the rumor going around campus is that if UNC wins the tournament both Hansbrough and Lawson will come back next year because they want to try and give Roy back to back championships. They love him and respect him.

I guess that it is not shocking at all because most of think that TH would most likely come back and that Lawson was 50-50. If the rumor turns out to be true then UNC would be the overwhelming favorite to win it all next year.

If that is the case, I do not know what UNC has for the 2009-2010 season but are we talking about a possibe 3 peat ?

Quote Originally Posted by NYC Duke Fan View Post
    are we talking about a possibe 3 peat ?
    Not if they lose to Louisville. Hehe.

There's also a rumor that says the opposite.

As my good friend Ambrose Bierce would say:

"RUMOR, n.
    A favorite weapon of the assassins of character."

anything is possible...however, i would think that ty lawson has experienced the reality of JUST how easily his Pro career could be taken away by an injury.

In addition, that subtle fact would NOT be lost on hansbrough.

sean may, felton et al, could easily have repeated...

They haven't won one yet, forget two or three in a row.

Hansbrough will stay in college. The NBA isn't going to be a pretty experience for him. Lawson may stay too. Ellington, I think, might be gone after this year.

Carolina does have incredible recruits coming the next two years. Sad to say, but they will at least be in the championship hunt every year for the immediate future.

Quote Originally Posted by davekay1971 View Post
    They haven't won one yet, forget two or three in a row.

Hansbrough will stay in college. The NBA isn't going to be a pretty experience for him. Lawson may stay too. Ellington, I think, might be gone after this year.

Carolina does have incredible recruits coming the next two years. Sad to say, but they will at least be in the championship hunt every year for the immediate future.
    This thought of UNC being in the hunt for the next several years reminds of when I was in college and a friend of mine who was a UNC fan was talking about how they were going to win the next several NC's because they had signed a monster class (Montross, Rozier, Reese and I think Phelps). Mean while Duke proceeded to win the next two NC's. To be fair UNC did win in '93

It just goes to show how hard it is to predict future years based on unproven recruits and the unknown health of existing players. Regardless, I unfortunately agree that the future of UNC basketball seems awful bright.

So if they don't win it all, they're both gone?

Quote Originally Posted by NYC Duke Fan View Post
    A college friend of mine who teaches at UNC says that the rumor going around campus is that if UNC wins the tournament both Hansbrough and Lawson will come back next year because they want to try and give Roy back to back championships. They love him and respect him.

I guess that it is not shocking at all because most of think that TH would most likely come back and that Lawson was 50-50. If the rumor turns out to be true then UNC would be the overwhelming favorite to win it all next year.

If that is the case, I do not know what UNC has for the 2009-2010 season but are we talking about a possibe 3 peat ?
    Yes, let's talk about Carolina winning three straight titles before they win even one.

I agree with yancem - that 1993 class was supposed to be the Fab Five before the Fab Five.. They were good and won a national title, but none of them reached the level of dominance projected when they were recruited.

If they win a championship, the odds are that Lawson is gone. For them to win, he'll have to play well enough that it'll raise his stock in the draft. Ellington is almost as likely to leave, and for the same reason. Hansbrough leaving is more likely after a championship, but not nearly as likely as the other two.

Winning a championship is hard. The temptation to go out on top, with the NBA waiting for you might be too much for even Hansbrough to decline. But supposedly he loves college, hates flying, has no money problems. So who knows.

But even my UNC friends laugh at the notion of them loving Williams so much that they'll stay for another year just to try and win him the back-to-backs.

I thought Lawson and Roy didn't get along very well.

How many times has Roy called Ty out publically? Last season he called him 'my worst practice player ever" and this season he essentially said that he was milking his injury.

Sound like a genuine lovefest in CH.
    WWJDD?

Quote Originally Posted by MulletMan View Post
    I thought Lawson and Roy didn't get along very well.

How many times has Roy called Ty out publically? Last season he called him 'my worst practice player ever" and this season he essentially said that he was milking his injury.

Sound like a genuine lovefest in CH.
    I've heard/read some of that, but then I saw an interview where the two of them were joking with one another and seemed very much at ease. There are so many unfounded rumors on the internet about any given program that I've just about given up trying to sort out the truth.

This is silly and the DBR is not fond of rumor spreading, no matter whether the rumor is positive or negative.

I am closing this thread because I'm having a hard time imagining how any further discussion is necessary here.

--Jason "players staying or leaving is best discussed after the season is done" Evans