Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Should Duke Recruit One and Done Players?

Its commonly being done throughout the country but I want to know if you think Duke should begin recruiting guys who are only coming to college for a year then heading off to the NBA.

For example in The 2008 Class:

Recruiting guys like Tyreke Evans and Scotty Hopson who will only do 2 years of college basketball unless they suffer a serious injury.

Just want to know how you'd feel about doing that.
    Last edited by -jk; 03-26-2008 at 05:25 PM. Reason: de-ital

It's fine by me - it's already happened a couple times (which were probably somewhat of a surprise at the time). IMO, Duke should recruit the best young men who meet Coach K's standards on and off the court and Duke's academic standards.

Sure. If the kid is a decent student and will go to class, I don't see why we couldn't recruit a player like that every class. Players like Kevin Love would have been HUGE for this team this year, and he's only going to be a one year wonder.

I don't think it's necessary to recruit one and done players at all.

Let's look at the most successful programs in the NCAA Tourney since 2005, a period well within what is considered the "one-and-done" era. That list would include teams like Florida, UNC, UCLA and Memphis. Of all the players at those schools over these 3 years, the only one-and-done players were Branden Wright and Marvin Williams from UNC. But even when you look at UNC, as good as Williams was, their 2005 NC team was built on the backs of 3-year players (McCants, Felton, May). And if you look at the 2007-08 team, it's built on the back of multi-year players as well (Hansbrough, Lawson, Ellington, Green, Ginyard).

Memphis and UCLA have been to 2 straight Elite Eights (UCLA 2 straight Final Fours) and neither team had a one-and-done player. Instead, they're actually very mature teams, sporting several upperclassmen. Many expect Derrick Rose from Memphis to leave after this year but that is not official and he's still the only would be one-and-done player on the team. Plus the fact remains that Memphis got to two consecutive Elite Eights without him.

Whoever started this "Duke needs to start recruiting one and done players" phenomenon needs to look at the teams that have been successful over the past few years and figure out that most of them don't have one-and-done players at all. If nothing else, look at Duke. Ironically, it was the times that Duke did have the one-and-done players (Maggette, Deng, etc.) that they didn't do as well as the NC Duke teams without those one-and-done players.

Duke doesn't need to recruit one-and-done players. They need to recruit tall players
    Last edited by Classof06; 03-26-2008 at 10:50 AM.

I'm not sure. The biggest difficulty I see is that Duke has historically (in the limited time I've been a fan) built its team each year around the totality of personnel available and the way they play together. Many one-and-done players appear to be "me" players, who expect a team to play around them, rather than being a component of a whole. It takes a pretty special kid to be a superstar on the court and still have the humility to know his role on a team.

Mike Krzyzewski has successfully recruited a lot of players at a high level of talent with a willingness to fit into the program (though there have been a few misses). If he ever decides to recruit a one-and-done, I'm sure it will probably be a good fit, but if he decides to do it, just because he makes that decision doesn't mean one will be available that meets his criteria.

From a personal standpoint I'd also like to see such a player have the commitment to continue working on his degree after leaving. I've really appreciated that about some of our early leavers, while those who have left without looking back I have felt less connected to as a member of the Duke community.

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by CenOhioDukeFan View Post
    If the kid is a decent student and will go to class, I don't see why we couldn't recruit a player like that every class.
    Why should it matter whether a one-and-done goes to class? Or meets some unstated standard of academic aptitude?

Knowingly recruiting one-and-dones would undermine Duke's academic reputation, IMO, whether or not such transparent pretences were maintained. I also think it would (subtly) undermine fan loyalty. I vote no.

Quote Originally Posted by wumhenry View Post
    Why should it matter whether a one-and-done goes to class? Or meets some unstated standard of academic aptitude?

Knowingly recruiting one-and-dones would undermine Duke's academic reputation, IMO, whether or not such transparent pretences were maintained. I also think it would (subtly) undermine fan loyalty. I vote no.
    I agree with the above post and raise one other question.

How many one and done teams have won the NC?

Carmelo is the only one I remember. This year it might happen again, we don't know yet. I doubt the wisdom of having the one and done when considering what it can do to overall development of players within the program.

No, Duke should not recruit players that the staff knows or suspects plan to go pro after one year. I know a lot of other schools are doing it but so what? Sometimes players blossom faster in college than anyone expected or have family circumstances that give them more of an incentive to leave college, and that will continue to happen. But if a player has straight-to-the-league potential and just has to spend a year in college somewhere to qualify age-wise for the NBA, I would hope that we would not recruit them.

If I remember correctly, one of the things K talked about extensively with Boozer during Carlos' freshman year was that he had difficulty "unpacking his bags" and committing to being fully "at Duke," rather than on the way to something else. The whole "unpacking your bags" idea is, I think, important to K's philosophy regarding who he wants on the team. Which is not to say that it excludes completely guys who are one and done. But I think he'd want any player he brings in, whether it be for one year or for four, to be fully "at Duke" while he was here and not looking ahead to something else.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Monroe has indicated he very well could be a one-and-done guy. We recruited him, and wanted him badly.

The staff must also have known that, had Livingston shown up, he was also a strong candidate.

Thumbs down

No. This is a university basketball team that is supposed to have student athletes. Recruiting someone who is known to be one and done debases the concept. Duke is an elite academic instituion and shouldn't go there.

One and Done Era

The One and Done Era really started last year with the NBA age limit rule or whatever it is.

Prior to that, players had an option of going straight to the NBA. You could at least hope that a player who chose pass up the NBA right out of high school and go to college was doing so with the intent of getting more out of it than a one year college experience.

Now players whose only interest is getting to the NBA as soon as possible are almost forced to go to college for a year.

Ohio State did pretty well last year with Greg Oden.

I would like to see Duke recruit student/athletes so I guess I am opposed to known one and dones.

SoCal

Quote Originally Posted by Ignatius07 View Post
    Monroe has indicated he very well could be a one-and-done guy. We recruited him, and wanted him badly.

The staff must also have known that, had Livingston shown up, he was also a strong candidate.
    The last I heard Greg Monroe said he was committed to playing 4 years and graduating from Georgetown.I dont believe it but Georgetown has never lost a Freshman to the NBA.

The reason why I dont see him leaving early next year is because he isnt an elite NBA Prospect right now,if you look at Mock Drafts hes listed anywhere between 16-27 if he came out as a Freshman.

Also Monroe will be playing out of postion at C with Vernon Macklin playing PF.

Next Year's Georgetown team will go through Austin Freeman and Dajuan Summers rather than last year where the offense revolved around Roy Hibbert.
    Last edited by -jk; 03-26-2008 at 05:27 PM. Reason: de-ital

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDukeFan View Post
    The One and Done Era really started last year with the NBA age limit rule or whatever it is.

Prior to that, players had an option of going straight to the NBA. You could at least hope that a player who chose pass up the NBA right out of high school and go to college was doing so with the intent of getting more out of it than a one year college experience.

Now players whose only interest is getting to the NBA as soon as possible are almost forced to go to college for a year.

Ohio State did pretty well last year with Greg Oden.

I would like to see Duke recruit student/athletes so I guess I am opposed to known one and dones.

SoCal
    Actually David Stern recently has said he wants to up the age limit to 20,which would means a player would have to do at least 2 years of college.

It will be voted on but its very likely it will be passed by the 2009 NBA Draft
    Last edited by -jk; 03-26-2008 at 05:28 PM. Reason: de-ital

One and done

Nope!

we gotta do something, its obvious that right now we are struggling with recruits... so if recruiting one and done players helps for a couple years than why not... just to get back on track

Quote Originally Posted by soccerstud2210 View Post
    we gotta do something, its obvious that right now we are struggling with recruits... so if recruiting one and done players helps for a couple years than why not... just to get back on track
    We're not struggling with recruits

We're recruiting certain players rather than recruiting any and everybody like Memphis and Louisville.

We lose Nelson for the class of 2008
    We bring in Elliott Williams a McDonalds All American and Olek Czyz a 4*PF

We lose Greg Paulus,and David McClure for the class of 2009
    We bring in Mason Plumlee and are recruiting hard to bring in Kenny Boynton and Leslie McDonald both will likely be McDonalds All Americans

We lose Gerald Henderson,Jon Scheyer,Lance Thomas,and Brian Zoubek for the class of 2010
    We are already recruiting Brandon Knight,Deshaun Thomas,Jeremy Tyler,Jon Lubick and Josh Hairston

We're fine.
    Last edited by -jk; 03-26-2008 at 05:28 PM. Reason: de-ital

NO! Duke has high standards in academics as well as athletics and part, of that is graduation. Why change? People were up in arms with the idea of any change in academic standards in football when none was proposed. In fact Coach Cut rejected the concept as being wrong for Duke

Should we overlook that for basketball?

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevilBaby View Post
    Duke should recruit the best young men who meet Coach K's standards on and off the court and Duke's academic standards.
    Coach K's standards are that you graduate. Wouldn't knowingly accepting a one-and-done player be changing that?

i understand that... but it is working pretty well for memphis and louisville both... both sweet 16 teams... not knocked out in the second rounds... thats all i'm saying... it may work for a couple of years...

The original question asked--and the subsequent responses--seem a little curious to me. Duke already has recruited "one-and-done" players, so it wouldn't be a departure from the norm. Shaun Livingston was a none-and-done and, as a student at Duke when Luol Deng played, I always felt he was going to go after one year. He did. And, although he didn't leave after one year, I think Josh McRoberts, as a highly touted high school senior, was a player who could've reasonably been considered a potential one-and-done.

I don't think it's K's primary recruiting goal. But I also don't think it's any team's primary recruiting goal. Thad Matta expected Oden to go pro after one year, but he likely didn't think Cook and Connely would go as well. He recruited them for the long-term. I think instead of focusing on the likelihood that a given player will leave after a year, the coaches should look to whether a given player will a) be in a position to succeed academically at Duke and b) fit in well with the team and the program. And, I think Duke does both of those.