Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Idol last night

Idol last night

What David Cook did last night was just courageous and stunning. Taking an iconic song like "Billy Jean" and totally turning it on its ear was a very daring move. This is a guy who could have just cruised along a few more rounds, not really worrying about getting voted out, but he took a big risk. I could easily have seen that turning out disasterous. Instead, it was brilliant. It was like the moment where Chris Daughtry sang a new version of "I Walk The Line." Look, I know both Daughtry and Cook ripped off their "new" versions from other rock bands (I read that David Cook's "Billy Jean" was first done by Audioslave) but it still takes guts and a ton of talent to pull that off. To most of the audience, it is brand new and the Idol singer always gets credit for that. Obviously, it is still early, but Mr. Cook is now in myt number one position, ahead of David Archuletta.

Speak of DA, he is getting sorta stale. He has a beautiful voice and he is cute as a button, but he has made a few horrid song choices and I feel like he is only singing for the 13-year-old girls in the audience. That may be a winning formula for him, but "I am not digging it dawg, ya know what I mean?"

Another recent "favorite," Jason Castro is also getting stale and boring. He sang a really beautiful song from Sting but there was now energy in his performance. I feel like he is doing the same thing every week. I also love how confused he seemed when he was chatting with Ryan and the judges afterwards. I think he might be high all the time. It was not cool for him to admit that he could be practicing more. Yikes, the audience may hold that against him. I think he is going to survive, but once the low-hanging fruit gets picked off he could be in some danger if he does not start to pick it up soon. I am not hearing anything from him that makes me say, "yeah, I'd buy an album of songs like that."

Now, in terms of who is in actual danger, Ramiele and Chikezie are in the bottom three this week, for sure, in my book.

Ramiele was screeching during that Heart song. Ouch, it hurt to listen. Plus, she is not looking as cute as she did earlier in the competition and she was the first singer up tonight which means the audience had to remember her for a long time before voting. That can be the kiss of death. I think she will go.

When Chikezie got up there, I said to my wife, "so long as he picks a high-energy song where he can really get into it, he is fine," and then the slow piano started and I knew he was in real trouble. He picked a terrible song with no energy. He sang it ok, but I think he is in big trouble this week because no one heard that song and thought, "I'd listen to that again."

The final member of the bottom 3 could be just about anyone but I do not think it will be Kristie Lee Cook. By giving the singers a wide range of songs to sing, I remarked to my wife that Kristie would be ok this week because she could pick a country song and that is her bread and butter. Then, she went and picked "Proud to be an American," which is not only country but patriotic and iconic. She's a lock to get through. Tons of people probably voted for her merely to honor the song.

My pick for the bottom 3 are Ramiele, Chikezie, and Carly (though it could even be Jason Castro). I think Carly and Brook are mining the same field for votes and Brook is just better. Carly was doing a nice job with "Total Eclipse of the Heart" until the end when she went for a glory note and just sounded dreadful. Brook was not great but she was good enough. Like the judges, I admire that she realized she was off tune on the first note and she started again. It was kinda cool (though it could not have been done in previous years before singers could also play their own instruments).

--Jason "anyone else have thoughts?" Evans

I'm pretty much in agreement with everything that you just said. I must point out though that anytime I hear "Total Eclipse of the Heart" that I'm disappointed when no F-bomb is thrown in (ala Old School).

As far as the singers, I'd rate them this way purely off of performances last night...

1. Michael Johns - him and Cook are similar, but for some reason I just don't like Cook, so I'll give Johns the nod. Something about Cook just seems conceited.
    2. David Cook
    3. Syesha (sp?)
    4. Kristie Lee Cook - great, great song choice
    5. David Archuleta - horrible song choice, but great singer
    6. Brooke
    7. Jason Castro
    8. Chikezie
    9. Carly
    10. Ramiele

Hard not to see Ramiele going.

Great review Jason

Great review Jason! Very well done!! I agree with most of what you had to say. I also think that Chikezie's effort was pleasing enough, but lacked enough verve to make it memorable. The long-haired blond female (forget her name) is becoming very tiresome to me. Too much like a Carly Simon remake...and there is only one Carly.
    While my standard for "knocked my socks off" remains Melinda last year, I think that David Cook is on a roll.

I like to watch Idol, but being an jazz musician, most of the songs (save the Beatles and Sting's so far) don't do much for me.

As for the patriotic number......intelligent choice...but Kristie doesn't have much charisma to my way of thinking.

I probably show my age in this, but I do know good singing when I hear it.

Quote Originally Posted by dukepsy1963 View Post
    Great review Jason! Very well done!! I agree with most of what you had to say. I also think that Chikezie's effort was pleasing enough, but lacked enough verve to make it memorable. The long-haired blond female (forget her name) is becoming very tiresome to me. Too much like a Carly Simon remake...and there is only one Carly.
    While my standard for "knocked my socks off" remains Melinda last year, I think that David Cook is on a roll.

I like to watch Idol, but being an jazz musician, most of the songs (save the Beatles and Sting's so far) don't do much for me.

As for the patriotic number......intelligent choice...but Kristie doesn't have much charisma to my way of thinking.

I probably show my age in this, but I do know good singing when I hear it.
    Hey, I am virtually certain that you know music a ton better than I do so I value your opinion. You should post more on this toic, for sure!!

The blonde you are talking about is Brook and you are right that she and a few others are seeming to do the same thing every week. Being able to throw an occassional change-up is very important. That is why I think Cook is doing so well this year, his performances surprise more than anyone else's.

My thoughts ...

I agree with a lot of your assessments.

I thought Ramiele was terrible last night and has been consistently average througout. I don't usually notice when singers are "pitchy" but I really did with her last night. It was painful.

David A. is just a fantastic singer and a very good performer. I don't know what his pop music niche is but when he played the piano a few weeks ago I got a Billy Joel vibe from him. I can see him as a popular recording artist.

The only other one I feel that way about is Brook. I thought she was spectacular last night, although others don't seem to think she was so great. I thought she picked a great song and sang it beautifully. If she had been performing on Saturday Night Live, for example, I would have believed she was a major recording artist. I see her and David A. as the final 2.

Michael Johns was great last night but he doesn't always bring his confidence and charisma. When he does, he seems like a legit rock front man. When he doesn't he seems like he leads an average college band. He can go either way.

Chikezie has a lot of talent but I agree he sometimes picks the absolute wrong songs. I don't understand why these constestants don't realize that the public wants to be entertained with something recognizable and soulful (by that I don't mean soul music I mean something sung with emotion, believability and connection to the song). This is why Taylor won IMO.

That reminds me -- that is the major problem I had with David A. - you can't pick a song that nobody's ever heard. I found it interesting that Simon questioned whether he picked that song and I wonder if it was a subtle reference to his father and the reports of his overbearingness.

Carly is a great singer and I thought did an okay job on the Bonnie Tyler song, but I had two problems. She was too intense throughout the song - I wanted to see a broader emotional connection to the song. And the ending was inappropriate and poorly executed.

Kristy Lee is obviously not in the same league talentwise as the others, but she is very pretty, is the only country-ish one of the group and she made a brilliant, if calculated, song choice last night. I could see her going as far as the final 5 ... if she continues with great country songs and continues to be as personable in the non-singing portions of the show.

David C. has been outstanding at times and very original. However, I don't think he will win for two reason. I think he has been a bit smug at times and that may come back to haunt him. I also think he has almost no appeal to the tweener crowd - and they are a big portion of the electorate (if you will). I disagree that his song choice was so courageous or brave. Don't get me wrong, he did a great job and I was entertained by his version, but it is a style of that song that's been done before by other artists so it's not like there isn't a precedent for that type of arrangement to work. It's not like he did a completely original version with his own arrangement.

Who else? Syesha - I really like her and think she can be even better than she was last night. But she need to really entertain more than just sing well. I haven't yet been entertained by anything she's done.

Jason - like his style and pleasant aloofness but it will get old eventually. Stale is a good word to describe some of the performances last night. The Sting song he did is one of my favorites and I was bored by it. I also think there is a good chance he was stoned last night.

... My .04 ... too long to be just .02
    Singler is IRON

I STILL GOT IT! -- Ryan Kelly, March 2, 2013

Castro must go

I agree with most of what is posted.

Great song choice by Kristy -- she's easily the least talented singer left, but you never go wrong by waving the flag ... she probably had half the audience singing along with her. Safe for another week.

Michael Johns did a great job with Queen. Am I remembering right -- wasn't his other outstanding performance in the competition also a Queen song? Maybe he wants to step into Freddie Mercury's sequined tights. Cook's performance might have been well executed, but he continues to leave me cold. It just about put me to sleep.

My two favorites in the competition -- Brook and Carly -- were (to me) just average last night.

Chikeze was exactly the opposite or Kristy -- horrible song choice puts him in jeopardy. I agree that Ramiele, who botched a great Heart song, will also be in the bottom three.

But I'm hoping that the swarmy Jason Castro is the victim of this week's voting. Each week, he gets more and more annoying. His performance last night was lazy and unfocused -- does anybody other that 13 year old girls like this guy (then again, 13 year old girls make up the bulk of the voting audience, so he's probably safe)?

I'm not totally sure the vote count is always honest (maybe that's just a holdover from the 2000 Presidential race). If I were a producer and wanted to energize the show the most, then I'm have Castro in the bottom three (or two) and try to scare some energy into him. I'm sure that won't happen ...

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    All right, I have to go on record if I keep claiming that I predicted who was going correctly. I did for the first two weeks but I have no proof.

Anyway, tonight I think it's Chikezie that goes home. Did I spell that correctly? (I think it's Brooke with an 'e' too, but I could be wrong.) I agree that Ramiele was weak and hasn't really come through in a big way yet but I bet she gets one more week to either step it up or go.

I don't see David Cook winning this, a rocker never has, and only Bo Bice made the final two. Like I said before, David Cook is not good-looking enough to win this because the tweeners probably aren't going to vote for him. David A. was boring last night. He's a great singer and the best teenage boy they've ever had for stage presence but he's boring, he could put himself in danger eventually.

Personally, I think Syesha has something special. If she doesn't become a recording artist out of this, she's certainly going do things on Broadway. Heck, Sanjaya is on Broadway, so maybe she'll be the second Idol contestant to win an Oscar. When I look at her with my director's eye, I'd cast her, in a heartbeat.

Agree with Jason et al on how amazing DC's song choice was. After the first bar I was ready to fillet the guy, but he ended up completely blowing me away. He is clearly an artist; there aren't a whole lot of people who could have even conceived that idea, much less carried it off.

I think Syesha made herself a clear number two behind DC with her performance last night (and I'm dying for someone to tell Paula what "darkhorse" actually means).

I didn't find anybody else terribly remarkable last night, except for Kristy, but my reasons are different those stated upthread. Let's say a male with a country style had been near the bottom for a couple of weeks in a row and rolled out "Proud to be an American" (and rolled it out poorly). What would the reaction have been? Though Simon "I'm really tough on bad singers except when my comments might be seen as critical towards America" Cowell would probably heap praise on him, I think most people would see the choice for what it was.

Kristy's choice wasn't "clever," as Cowell put it, it was cynical. She knew she'd been brutal two weeks ago and mediocre last week, so she was looking for a bail-out. If she was going to use an unearned get-out-of-jail-free card to buy her way through this round, the least she could have done was actually sing the song well. But she didn't even do that; the last third of the song was wretched, containing a lot of pitch problems, problems that many overlooked because the flag has a tendency to make people tonedeaf.

If you thought she sounded good last night, see if your perception is different with with surprise/excitement effect tamped a little bit.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=R_XaGVEuEyI

Thumbs down Ycch ... American Idol contestants

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    David A. was boring last night. He's a great singer and the best teenage boy they've ever had for stage presence but he's boring, he could put himself in danger eventually.
    I guess I'm the only one here who loathes David Arch. He royally flubbed the last couple of weeks, including forgetting lyrics. I find that he has terrible pitch problems, and looks more "swarmy" than does Jason (Castro). Jason wowed me 2-3 weeks ago (just before the Beatles), but has been dull ever since.

I'm on the Cook bandwagon for now. I liked Brooke's "Let It Be," but have found her lackluster the last two weeks. I think she has potential, but probably won't win it. Johns has his moments, but before last night, I thought he was having all sorts of problems. Carly is usually good, except for last night.

Ramielle and Chikezie are toast.

Blonde Country Girl (Lee Greenwood song from last night) has been horrible the last few weeks. Last night was decent, but she won't go far.

I was shocked that most of the singers last night had difficulty staying in tune with the backup singers.

Guess I need "kindler, gentler" lessons from Jumbo.
    Cheers,
    Lavabe
    Last edited by Lavabe; 03-26-2008 at 06:47 PM. Reason: Jason Castro

Chikezie went down. Once we saw the final 3, it was a foregone conclusion. The fact that they make them sing the song that got them voted out is lunacy. Have them sing their best song, not their worst!!

I think Jason Castro being in the final 3 will galvanize his fans a bit -- so long as he is not baked on stage again next week and he actually has a decent performance.

Being in the final 3 after a really good performance is baaad news for Syesha. She is not long for the competition even though she has talent.

Ramielle avoiding the final 3 is some kind of perverse miracle. I hope she is out next week.

-Jason "results shows mostly suck" Evans

My take

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Chikezie went down. Once we saw the final 3, it was a foregone conclusion. The fact that they make them sing the song that got them voted out is lunacy. Have them sing their best song, not their worst!!

I think Jason Castro being in the final 3 will galvanize his fans a bit -- so long as he is not baked on stage again next week and he actually has a decent performance.

Being in the final 3 after a really good performance is baaad news for Syesha. She is not long for the competition even though she has talent.

Ramielle avoiding the final 3 is some kind of perverse miracle. I hope she is out next week.

-Jason "results shows mostly suck" Evans
    Chikezie looks to be a "swell" young man too. I agree that Ramielle was super lucky. She doesn't really have it on a variety of fronts, sick or not.

And for what it's worth, intelligence never figures in. Castro seems to be a dull as a brick; or stoned.....I think the former. I agree that Syesha is extremely talented and would be my choice for show biz outside of Idol. She is absolutely beautiful!

Aside. Has anyone noticed that David A. seems to have a "breathing" problem? When he inhales it sounds like he's breathing through a screen wire! Very distracting to me.

This season, for the first time, I don't think there is a front runner. Note, the front runner at this stage doesn't always win, but there usually is one. I suppose with all the talk of 'you could win this thing' perhaps David Cook is the front runner but, he's not winning. What's my point? Well, I think this year we could see a wide variation in who hits the seal from week to week.

Truly I think one clunker of a performance could boot David Cook. David Archuleta has already become repetitive and the audience might catch on soon. Brooke is up and down. Syesha probably just needs to do an up tempo (but not a Whitney up tempo, kiss of death) to garner more fans. Carly is a good singer but she comes off as 'not cool' despite the tatoos, she seems to want this too much. Kristy is the worst singer remaining but she's very likeable. Apologizing for having to sing her crap song a second time? Vote attracting brilliance! Singing the craptastic 'Proud to Be an American'? More brilliance. "where at least I know I'm free", at least? God awful lyrics, but that's not Kristy's fault. At least? I hate that song. Michael Johns keeps sounding like he's got a great performance or two in him but he hasn't really shown it yet. One more clunker from him and he could be out. I think for the first time in 7 seasons, it really is week to week. I find it exciting really.

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    I guess I'm the only one here who loathes David Arch. He royally flubbed the last couple of weeks, including forgetting lyrics. I find that he has terrible pitch problems, and looks more "swarmy" than does Jason (Castro). Jason wowed me 2-3 weeks ago (just before the Beatles), but has been dull ever since.

I'm on the Cook bandwagon for now. I liked Brooke's "Let It Be," but have found her lackluster the last two weeks. I think she has potential, but probably won't win it. Johns has his moments, but before last night, I thought he was having all sorts of problems. Carly is usually good, except for last night.

Ramielle and Chikezie are toast.

Blonde Country Girl (Lee Greenwood song from last night) has been horrible the last few weeks. Last night was decent, but she won't go far.

I was shocked that most of the singers last night had difficulty staying in tune with the backup singers.

Guess I need "kindler, gentler" lessons from Jumbo.
    Cheers,
    Lavabe
    I can't stand David A. either. He's nauseating. I agree that he has singing talent, but he seems to be able to sing one type of song (see, Imagine) and when he tries to go uptempo it turns into a train wreck.

I should preface this by saying that I hate canned pop music, so guys like David Cook who clearly has talent as singer, musician AND at setting up good arrangements get huge brownie points from me. He's my favorite right now and followed closely by the Aussie... Brooke is talented but she's annoying. Syesha is talented as well, but she has a cookie-cutter voice and doesn't bring anything special to the table. She's gone in the next 3 weeks (with Ramielle and Kristy).

Jason can be very good when he tries, but I think he's trying to float by on his looks... That'll get you a ways, but eventually the audience leans toward talent.

I usually judge these things by whose album I would buy. Right now I would buy a David Cook album, a Michael Johns album and possibly a Brooke album... Those are three I'm hoping make the finals... I fear the irratable David A. may bump one of these...

Never buy!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dukiedevil View Post
    I usually judge these things by whose album I would buy. Right now I would buy a David Cook album, a Michael Johns album and possibly a Brooke album... Those are three I'm hoping make the finals... I fear the irratable David A. may bump one of these...
    Never buy!! Subscribe to Rhapsody first!

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    This season, for the first time, I don't think there is a front runner. Note, the front runner at this stage doesn't always win, but there usually is one.
    I disagree. David Archuleta is the frontrunner. But it's probably hard to admit that if you don't really like him. So far (aside from that performance as a ten-year-old to Kelly Clarkson caught on cell phone video) I haven't been impressed with a single thing he's done. People don't seem to notice that he's been coasting on his charm because Jason Castro is doing the same thing much more blatantly.

At this point last year I was able to correctly predict the finish (Jordin 1st, Blake 2nd, Melinda 3rd), but I haven't been able to do the same this year. My initial impressions are that I like Michael and Syesha, but I haven't seen either of them stand out so far. Aside from Archuleta, who clearly has the votes each week no matter how boring and flat he sings, I don't see any of the contestants being a shoo-in for the Idol Final Four.

I've grown to like David Cook, and would at least listen to an album he released. But I hesitate to call his work "brave" if he's just redoing the rearrangements of others on a much bigger stage. (Now, had he sang Michael Jackson's version of "Billie Jean," THAT would have been brave.)

A final note: the show has become much more enjoyable this year on DVR. Now I fast forward through Ryan Seacrest, the contestant introductions, and anything Paula Abdul says. It cuts at least half of the viewing time and almost all of the self-loathing. And because I'm on the West Coast, I go online and find out who got eliminated 3 hours in advance, skipping the results show altogether.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    I disagree. David Archuleta is the frontrunner.
    Have to disagree with you right back. He was being set up as the frontrunner in the semi-finals but he hasn't stepped it up in the finals and Simon is backing off of him. Yes, America will probably keep voting for this kid for awhile but he's no shoo in for the finals, nobody is, which is fun.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    A final note: the show has become much more enjoyable this year on DVR. Now I fast forward through Ryan Seacrest, the contestant introductions, and anything Paula Abdul says. It cuts at least half of the viewing time and almost all of the self-loathing. And because I'm on the West Coast, I go online and find out who got eliminated 3 hours in advance, skipping the results show altogether.
    Absolutely. The show is almost unwatchable live. There are 3.5 minutes of commercials in between each segment and lots of other fluff I care little about. My wife sucked me in the last couple of years with the DVR and now I'm hooked.

Still can't watch the results show though... There are only about 10 minutes of that hour that are necessary.

If Tivo came up with a "skip Paula" button it would be awesome. I can count on one hand the number of times she has said anything that mattered... and I don't even have to use my fingers.

Watching Idol real-time is a huge mistake. I'll never do it. Watching on Tivo/DVR allows you to skip over the silly "here is a personal story of the contestant to make you connect with them even more" segments that come before each song and the faux Ford Commercials and all kinds of other meaningless goodies. Plus, as an added bonus, if someone is really stinking up the joint and they picked a dull song, you can FFW to the end of the song and just hear Simon wipe them out. Of course, if you do that you sometimes miss moments like the way Carly Smithson ended "Total Eclipse of the Heart" with what may have been the most awkward attempt at a high note since Sanjaya left the show last season.

The results show is only fun if you play a drinking game where you have to guess when Ryan is going to trick us by throwing to break or if he is going to say the name of the person who is voted off or the one who is safe:

"DukieDevil... you... are... safe... for the moment, we'll find out your real fate after the break."

--Jason "does everyone agree that Simon's word affects the voting by the public?" Evans

If Tivo came up with a "skip Paula" button it would be awesome. I can count on one hand the number of times she has said anything that mattered... and I don't even have to use my fingers.
    It was weird. Two or three weeks ago she was actually very coherent, not mimicking Randy and making semi-astute comments/observations. I actually think she was on for two consecutive weeks. And then this week she was back to her incoherent babbling ways (she may be on some serious pain medication).

Yes, Simon's words are very influential. He was particularly harsh on Chikeize this week.

Ramiele really has to go next.
    Singler is IRON

I STILL GOT IT! -- Ryan Kelly, March 2, 2013

I'll agree that she rarely says anything that matters, although she has made better observations at times this year than she tends to make. However, she often entertains thanks to her drugged out ramblings. As you never know when she's going to be incoherent, it's tough to just blatantly skip her. I do skip the rest of the stuff though and make it through the shows in around 1/3 of the time.