Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by astoria26 View Post
    Duke will be in the 2K Sports Coaches vs Cancer tournament, with the final 2 games playing in Madison Square Garden. Our first game is likely to be vs. Presbyterian, which is a new DI school that just joined this year, I think. Here's the tentative schedule:

11/10 – 11/13 regional game #1 – vs Presbyterian (ESPNU)
    11/11 – 11/14 regional game #2 – vs ? (ESPNU)
    11/20 semi-final game in MSG
    11/21 championship game in MSG
    11/25? at Wisconsin for acc/big10 challenge
    12/xx at Michigan?

Then in the ACC, we play UNC, MD, Wake, VT, and Florida St 2x.
    UNC and Maryland are givens but the random Wake, VT, and FSU will be
    hard, hard, easy respectively. Not an easy ACC schedule.

08-09

I believe we should go make a west coast swing and take on an Arizona or Oregon possible a UCLA. I think that'd be a fun little set of games. Would we open with Presb? or would we host Central again and beat them again by 70?

Quote Originally Posted by geraldsneighbor View Post
    I believe we should go make a west coast swing and take on an Arizona or Oregon possible a UCLA. I think that'd be a fun little set of games.
    Would you like to head out there for a game next year, or would you like us to go out there two years in a row? Because I have news for you, none of those teams are willing to come to Cameron. Nor is Kansas, nor is Kentucky. The only way that we get to play teams like this OOC is in the preseason tourneys or at a neutral site game.
    WWJDD?

The wheels come off

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron View Post
    ^^Yep, I do believe you are right and that we will be playing up at Chrysler. I will be attending that one (if it is correct). I was in the building the last time we played there, a game that resulted in Jason Williams' smack down of all those "F*** Duke" t-shirts that were circulating and his then career high of 35 points. I believe we started that game off on a 29-4 run

We need that back. We used to absolutely HAMMER teams. What a fun year 2001-02 was. Screw Tom Coverall and his ONE basket in 40 minutes.

I think it's CRISLER Arena, named after a former Michigan football coach.

I think it's CRISLER Arena, named after a former Michigan football coach.
    Wow, my mistake. And here I thought the arena was named after a car. Lol. Shows you how much I know about all things Michigan.

I think you're slightly confusing the 01-02 Michigan game with the 00-01 Michigan game at home, where the run to open the game was 34-2.

EDIT: Actually, I just read the recap of the 01-02 game, and we did start on a 29-4 run. So in back to back years against Michigan, we started a combined 63-6. Ha!
    Oh, I wouldn't forget it! As soon as we jumped out to a 29-4 lead with a Jason triple from the corner (I believe), and UM went to a quick timeout, I pulled out my camera and took a picture of the scoreboard. As the camera flashed, I looked over to the person who was seated beside me and said, "This is great, isn't it?" (Said person was in a yellow Wolverine cap).

Great memories.

Paulus Home Visit?

I heard about a year ago when Cornell scheduled the game with Duke that Cornell was trying to get Duke to visit Ithaca so Paulus could play close to home. Doubtful this deal was accepted by Duke.

Does anyone know if Duke is visiting either Syracuse or even Cornell so Paulus can play a game in upstate NY?

Quote Originally Posted by MulletMan View Post
    Would you like to head out there for a game next year, or would you like us to go out there two years in a row? Because I have news for you, none of those teams are willing to come to Cameron. Nor is Kansas, nor is Kentucky. The only way that we get to play teams like this OOC is in the preseason tourneys or at a neutral site game.
    That's not what I've heard. Now, I doubt we're anxious to head there next year (we lose 5 seniors and likely at least another junior and soph), but I'd be willing to bet we'd play home and home and I've heard we tried in the recent past. Our downside is lower.

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonandblue View Post
    That's not what I've heard. Now, I doubt we're anxious to head there next year (we lose 5 seniors and likely at least another junior and soph), but I'd be willing to bet we'd play home and home and I've heard we tried in the recent past. Our downside is lower.
    Well, someone is spinning it wrong, because like Mr. Mullet, I've heard Duke made no progress trying to get Kansas to come to Cameron. I don't know how Kansas' downside is lower, either.

Quote Originally Posted by wisteria View Post
    Thanks. Because UNC and OSU had home-and-home, even when Ohio State is clearly not of the same caliber. I thought it's supposed to home-and-home.
    they do home and home's a lot..i guess to try and make it "fair"

before we played wisc. (going in reverse chronological) we had a home and home with Indiana...and before that I believe we had a home and home with Mich St...then there were a couple (i think 2) when we played two diff teams and then before that was a home and home with illinois...so 6 out of 8 challenges before Wisc. we played the home and home, so to speak.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieBoy View Post
    i'd like to see a road game at purdue or wisconsin to give us a test...maybe iu if gordon stays, which is highly unlikely. Ohio State might be semi-difficult also...if the georgetown rivalry renews then that should be a good road test. Another tourney at the beginning of they year with some top teams could be helpful to
    I think Ohio Snake (love it D-Wine) would be more than just semi-difficult next year. They were a legit team, but just super inexperienced after they lost Oden/Conley/Cook and a senior or two. And they have some good recruits coming in for next year as well.

Quote Originally Posted by astoria26 View Post
    Duke will be in the 2K Sports Coaches vs Cancer tournament, with the final 2 games playing in Madison Square Garden. Our first game is likely to be vs. Presbyterian, which is a new DI school that just joined this year, I think. Here's the tentative schedule:

11/10 – 11/13 regional game #1 – vs Presbyterian (ESPNU)
    11/11 – 11/14 regional game #2 – vs ? (ESPNU)
    11/20 semi-final game in MSG
    11/21 championship game in MSG
    11/25? at Wisconsin for acc/big10 challenge
    12/xx at Michigan?

Then in the ACC, we play UNC, MD, Wake, VT, and Florida St 2x.
    I thought there was a new NCAA rule that says you can only play in 2(ish) pre-season tournaments every 4(ish) years. I'm foggy on the #'s but I thought it basically meant you could rarely play back-to-back pre season tournaments and if IIRC, we played in one Last year (where we lost to Marquette in the championship) as well as this year (Maui, where we beat marquette in the championship). so this would be THREE pre-season tourneys in a row. Again I'm foggy on the #'s but that doesn't sound right.

Also, I thought coaches vs. cancer was in early-mid december? or is that the jimmy v classic?

Quote Originally Posted by SilkyJ View Post
    I thought there was a new NCAA rule that says you can only play in 2(ish) pre-season tournaments every 4(ish) years.
    That was the old rule, which was 2 exempt tournaments every 4 years. (Exempt means the tournament counts as only 1 game even though it might end being as many as 4 games.)

Under the new rule, which was enacted before the 2006-2007 season, teams can play in pre-season tournaments every year if they want. The only restriction is that you can't play in the same tournament twice in a four year period. (i.e. Duke can't play in Maui until 2011).

Here's an article about it from ESPN.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
    Well, someone is spinning it wrong, because like Mr. Mullet, I've heard Duke made no progress trying to get Kansas to come to Cameron. I don't know how Kansas' downside is lower, either.
    More like Kansas has a bigger upside, since Duke is the bigger media draw in bigger markets that we want to get into for recruiting. Probably not a big difference and would be a big deal for either program.

Anyway, I don't know who's spinning. I know we play on lots of people's home floors out of conference, so I don't know why we wouldn't go to Duke, other than the obvious; that Duke's better than most. Probably just two athletics departments playing who's the alpha dog.

Cornell

The game couldn't be at Cornell because its not a big enough venue. I'm not so sure about Cuse either because we seem to be loaded in road games. Paulus played at Buffalo in the NCAA's, obviously a forgettable night. Maybe we would play Cornell at the HSBC Arena where we played VCU.

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonandblue View Post
    More like Kansas has a bigger upside, since Duke is the bigger media draw in bigger markets that we want to get into for recruiting. Probably not a big difference and would be a big deal for either program.

Anyway, I don't know who's spinning. I know we play on lots of people's home floors out of conference, so I don't know why we wouldn't go to Duke, other than the obvious; that Duke's better than most. Probably just two athletics departments playing who's the alpha dog.
    Away OOC games
    2007-8
    USC
    Georgia Tech
    Boston College

2006-7
    Florida (#1 UF)
    USC (the other one)

2005-6
    Chaminade

2004-5
    UK

2003-4
    TCU
    Stanford
    Nevada

2002-3
    Oregon
    Tulsa
    Cal

2001-2
    Arizona
    Princeton
    North Dakota

So yeah, you've played a few teams, but I think that you can admit that none of those schools really have quite the rep of homecourt advantage that Duke has, right?
    WWJDD?

Quote Originally Posted by MulletMan View Post
    Away OOC games
    2007-8
    USC
    Georgia Tech
    Boston College

2006-7
    Florida (#1 UF)
    USC (the other one)

2005-6
    Chaminade

2004-5
    UK

2003-4
    TCU
    Stanford
    Nevada

2002-3
    Oregon
    Tulsa
    Cal

2001-2
    Arizona
    Princeton
    North Dakota

So yeah, you've played a few teams, but I think that you can admit that none of those schools really have quite the rep of homecourt advantage that Duke has, right?
    Who does? That said, Florida and Stanford, in particular, are wild environments.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
    Who does? That said, Florida and Stanford, in particular, are wild environments.
    Why must you torment me.

My point would be that KU is scurd to come into Cameron.

(Oh and Jumbo, re: our conversation earlier, I'm at -1)
    WWJDD?

Quote Originally Posted by blazindw View Post
    I think we had an arranged home and home with Michigan State, with the games taking place during the ACC/Big 10 Challenge. That said, I usually thought they matched (for the most part) teams in the order they finished in the conferences the year before. For example, UNC and Ohio Snake played each other this year after finishing first in their conferences last year.

That said, I think we will either play 'sconsin in Madison or perhaps a Michigan Snake at the Palace of Auburn Hills.
    I hope it's not MSU. The games in this mini-rivalry have taken years off of my life.

That might be a tad dramatic. But you get the point. A memory that stands out is when Duke came to the Breslin and beat State by 20+, on the night the Spartans decided to debut their "third" jersey, an awful looking silver-gray number.

State has never worn the silver-gray again.

I think we should play Texas in Madison Square Garden again as I think that would be very good game especially if Augustin returns. Hopefully we would blow them out like we did a few years ago.

I think the Georgetown game will be a good one too with Georgetown reloading. They will still be good with Summers, Wright, Freeman and Macklin plus a stellar recruiting class. I think we could pull out a close win.