Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Ok! I've taken my medicine now. Forgive me for my rants.

The team showed tremendous growth this year. Let's not lose sight of that.

It was a fun year.

That piece on Zoub is pretty terrible. Its true he has areas he needs to improve on, mainly being more aggressive on putbacks and rebounds, but he's a pretty small component of the teams late season struggles. Finger pointing, particularly by the student body (supposedly the most "loyal" fans right?) is a pretty crappy thing to do. Every Duke fan has a right to be disappointed with the end of this season, I am. However, lets not lose sight that they improved a great deal from last season.

Quote Originally Posted by blazindw View Post
    I know the girl that wrote this letter to the editor (she in fact sent it to me before she submitted it to the Chronicle). I think she has a great point. I was able to make it to both games, and the tickets I had for Thursday were bought from an Iron Duke. On Craigslist. Why an Iron Duke was selling his/her tickets on Craigslist when there are plenty of ways to ensure that those tickets get into the hands of Duke fans (like the Ticket Exchange board) is beyond me. Now, I was lucky to get my tickets for Thursday and Saturday for face value, and I was able to resell a lot of tickets to Duke fans for face value and take my parents and roommate on Saturday. However, I think the point is that Duke fans who aren't Iron Dukes that pay a bunch of money don't even get a chance to ask if tickets are available.

Not every Duke alum can afford the membership to the Iron Dukes, much less pay enough money to get to a point where they have great shots at tickets. They also can't use that money to purchase tickets from scalpers for 5-6 times face value off Craigslist, eBay or any of the other online ticket brokers. ironically, the people who could afford to pay top dollar for tickets were the ones that ended up getting them for face value through the lottery, but I digress. I was lucky to get tickets for face value. I was even luckier to be in the position where I had more tickets than I needed, and I sold those for face value to Duke fans. Others weren't so lucky, and that's the reason why people like her are upset (disclosure: she attended both games).

Also, for those who weren't outside before the games witnessing, there were tons of scalpers selling tickets. But, I counted about 10 people that were arrested either for scalping or for selling counterfeit tickets. I also saw about 4 people who were sold fake tickets and then were denied entry because the tickets were fake. I think it's a bit much to ask Duke alums who aren't Iron Dukes to have to subject themselves to shady dealings with scalpers on a regular basis just to see their team play. Just my $.02.
    I understand the frustration you're describing, but I don't think it's realistic to think that Alumni Affairs is in a position to do much about the problem of getting tickets. The response from Jack Winters gave a concise description of how the NCAA allots tickets for the regionals and how the Duke Department of Athletics disburses them.

As for the the Iron Duke who sold his/her tickets on Craigslist, selling tickets that way could be viewed as a violation of the Iron Duke's policy regarding use of tickets. Had it been reported, that person may not be able to get such tickets in the future.

The primary reason for mentioning those articles and letters in the Chronicle is that I think they are examples of unrealistic notions about the basketball program.