Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question Philly Cheese Steaks, Literally

I'm driving to Philly today (Tuesday). I'll have time tonight to find the ultimate Philly Cheese Steak for dinner. Where is the one place I should go? I'll check back here from the hotel when I get there this afternoon.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

The definitive Philly cheesesteak comes from either Pat's or Geno's. They are located very close to each other in south Philly. Unfortunately their cheesesteaks are made with some sort of Cheese Whiz which turned me off.

Yeah, a real philly cheesteak has cheeze whiz, which sounds gross but actually ends up kinda tasty. You have to at least try it. One place to try as well that was actually really good was a stand on the corner of 19th and walnut at Rittenhouse square, if you want a cheesesteak for lunch on the weekend. I dunno why, but it was exceptionally good.
    Duke '03
    Tent 1 '99/'00

genos is great and recomended by jim cramer:

The City of Brotherly Love except when it's cold.
    Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    I'm driving to Philly today (Tuesday). I'll have time tonight to find the ultimate Philly Cheese Steak for dinner. Where is the one place I should go? I'll check back here from the hotel when I get there this afternoon.
    Ozzie:

Forget Geno's and Pat's. They are for the tourists, although you will get a lot of debate among the locals. D'Alessandros is better. It's North of downtown near the corner of Henry Ave. and Walnut Lane if you can get there.

A thing to know

You'll hear a lot of traditional philly places ask, in the rush to get the order finished and the food out "salpeprktchp?"

Easier to understand since I wrote it out but it's "salt pepper ketchup?" I pass on the ketchup usually.

Speaking of ketchup, anyone here enjoy international delights on 9th street?
    Duke '03
    Tent 1 '99/'00

I can't answer your question, but back in high school (in northern virginia), senior year we had a "[real] Philly Cheese Steak run" day - where those who participated were supposed to get a cheese steak from a shop in Philidelphia and bring it back to eat for lunchtime.

If it's your first time, go to Pat's and Geno's (9th and Passyunk). They are caddy corner to each other, so you can get both. The classic style is "Wiz wit" (Cheez wiz and grilled onions)

Go to Pat's. There may be merit to the point, but the way Geno's handles itself is xenophobic and borderline racist (edit in my opinon:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/5127134.stm

It doesn't seem so bad, but when you go you'll see there's just something ugly about the way Geno's handles itself... it is hard to explain, but you'll notice if you check it out.

Waterloo, Ontario (unfortunately, no longer in London England).
    Anyone got any good recommendations for making these at home? I make sandwiches with Steakums (just came back to the Canadian market) that are really really good but would love to be able to make an authentic-type Philly Cheese Steak at home.

Quote Originally Posted by colchar View Post
    Anyone got any good recommendations for making these at home? I make sandwiches with Steakums (just came back to the Canadian market) that are really really good but would love to be able to make an authentic-type Philly Cheese Steak at home.
    Just for the record, there are no green peppers on a "Philly" cheesesteak in spite of how it is served everywhere except Philadelphia. It is steak fried together with onions and topped with cheese.

My favorite steak sandwich is fried steak and onions topped with a marinara sauce (instead of ketchup) and a pickle.

Quote Originally Posted by bfree View Post
    Go to Pat's. There may be merit to the point, but the way Geno's handles itself is xenophobic and borderline racist (edit in my opinon:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/5127134.stm

It doesn't seem so bad, but when you go you'll see there's just something ugly about the way Geno's handles itself... it is hard to explain, but you'll notice if you check it out.
    Counterpoint:
    http://www.philly.com/philly/news/ho.../16845211.html

Waterloo, Ontario (unfortunately, no longer in London England).
    Quote Originally Posted by Schwarz View Post
    Just for the record, there are no green peppers on a "Philly" cheesesteak in spite of how it is served everywhere except Philadelphia. It is steak fried together with onions and topped with cheese.

My favorite steak sandwich is fried steak and onions topped with a marinara sauce (instead of ketchup) and a pickle.
    As much as I like green peppers in other things, I don't put them in a PCS. I use the meat (Steakums), cheese (don't usually use cheese wiz but will now), fried onions, and HP sauce.

God, I want one right now. Too bad I am waiting for the anesthetic to wear off after the first half of a root canal. Something tells me I won't be eating much tonight (damn you whoever started this thread...you're timing stunk!!!).

Thanks to all

God, I want one right now. Too bad I am waiting for the anesthetic to wear off after the first half of a root canal. Something tells me I won't be eating much tonight (damn you whoever started this thread...you're timing stunk!!!).
    I did. Sorry for your discomfort, Colchar.

And thanks to all those who made suggestions. I plan to order order mine Wiz Wit SalPepper. I'll let y'all know what/where I end up getting my fix. It'll be interesting to see if it is better than the Steak and Cheese from Sami's in Selma, NC. DevilDeac is probably most interested in this comparison. But I know this, I'm not going to compare this to a Woody Allen from The Carnegie Deli.

9F 9F 9F

Quote Originally Posted by Schwarz View Post
    The definitive Philly cheesesteak comes from either Pat's or Geno's.
    Couldn't tell you a thing about Philly cheesesteaks, but any good Duke fan knows that when the debate is Pat vs. Geno, the answer is NEITHER!

It may not be illegal, but it is sleazy. I dunno, just something about is pretty shameful in my opinion. It isn't just the ordering requirement, it is the feeling you get there.

Quote Originally Posted by duke03 View Post

I will be in Philly for lunch on Thursday, and I think I am going to be around downtown (somewhere around 2000 mkt street I think).

Any suggestions of a good place to grab a PCS?
    My Quick Smells Like French Toast.

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    I did. Sorry for your discomfort, Colchar.

And thanks to all those who made suggestions. I plan to order order mine Wiz Wit SalPepper. I'll let y'all know what/where I end up getting my fix. It'll be interesting to see if it is better than the Steak and Cheese from Sami's in Selma, NC. DevilDeac is probably most interested in this comparison. But I know this, I'm not going to compare this to a Woody Allen from The Carnegie Deli.
    Get one from Pat's, one from Geno's and then a second from the one you liked best. Noone will ever complain that you didn't sample!

There are two requirements, chipped steak (not beef) and hard rolls. Watch as they make yours when you're in Philly, it's pretty easy. Few slices of meat, add onions, cook and chop with spatula, flip, add cheese, put in roll. Embellish as you like. Ignore those who say you shouldn't put X on the steak, you're the one eating it.

I suppose you could use any thinly sliced meat, but getting it might be a problem. And using soft rolls always made the sandwich mushy to me.

Quote Originally Posted by hughgs View Post
    Get one from Pat's, one from Geno's and then a second from the one you liked best. No one will ever complain that you didn't sample!
    I think I'll do that on Thursday on the way out of town. I'll get one of each and eat on the road - one for lunch and one for dinner! I didn't get to either one tonight, I got hijacked.

9F 9F 9F