Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Now that Ozzie's back home

it's time to discuss Philadelphia cheese steaks in cities other than Philly.

Philadelphians (young or not) are known for leaving that city. When they do, the often alight at other major cities in the country. And they take that south Philly culture with them.

In the SF Bay area, a guy started The Cheese Steak Shop on Divisadero more than 30 years ago. When I worked in the Civic Center area we would drive over and have lunch there. Truly outstanding. He even had/has his bread shipped in from Philadelphia. Eventually he opened other shops around the Bay, including one near where I live. (There are 8 in the East Bay, now and only the one in SF... All have pictures of Philly shops on the wall). I get a takeout every two weeks or so. My wife is in love with the chicken version. Sweet hot peppers, mmm.

I don't get to Reno too much, but there seems to be a clone there. Also quite good.

So the City of Brotherly Love has spawned an industry. Who else has a good cheese steak shop in their home town?

Add: Tastee Kakes, too.
    Last edited by Jim3k; 03-29-2008 at 02:33 AM. Reason: Tastee Kakes

Quote Originally Posted by Jim3k View Post
    it's time to discuss Philadelphia cheese steaks in cities other than Philly.

Philadelphians (young or not) are known for leaving that city. When they do, the often alight at other major cities in the country. And they take that south Philly culture with them.

In the SF Bay area, a guy started The Cheese Steak Shop on Divisadero more than 30 years ago. When I worked in the Civic Center area we would drive over and have lunch there. Truly outstanding. He even had/has his bread shipped in from Philadelphia. Eventually he opened other shops around the Bay, including one near where I live. (There are 8 in the East Bay, now and only the one in SF... All have pictures of Philly shops on the wall). I get a takeout every two weeks or so. My wife is in love with the chicken version. Sweet hot peppers, mmm.

I don't get to Reno too much, but there seems to be a clone there. Also quite good.

So the City of Brotherly Love has spawned an industry. Who else has a good cheese steak shop in their home town?

Add: Tastee Kakes, too.
    A couple of years ago there was a shop in Spartanburg, SC. I accidentally came across it after a bike ride that started there and made a point of returning to the shop every year. They imported the Amoroso rolls which I find to be one of the key ingredients to the steak sandwich. I haven't been back in a while but it was a welcome alternative to Subway.

Here in Durham, there are a couple of Jersey Mike's. If I remember correctly they also use the hard roll and I've been meaning to go there.

cheese steaks

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    No, I left Thursday at noon after hitting Geno's and Pat's as noted above.

Oh, BTW, it is called Reading Terminal, not Reading Market. I wish I had gone back to Hershel's instead of G's and P's. That pastrami really was good.

And I can't believe that DevilDeac is PW'ing in my thread. Another few days and he'll pass me in # of posts. Of course, if you counted the old SBBS, he'd still be about 10,000 short
    Just trying to provide some useful culinary comments to the posts at hand. We were out of town 3/21-3/26 or I would have tried to provide some suggestions earlier. Did you see the travel section of the n&o on Sunday, 3/23? They had several suggestions of joints that served great roast pork samwiches(sic) in Philly. I was not aware that was a Philly phenomenon and that they were a great alternative to a PCS. Next time bizness takes you to the city of brotherly love, you will have 2 choices for dining: PCS AND roast pork samwiches.

cheese steaks

Jersey Mikes-not a bad transplant to the south from the Jersey shore. There is a BOGO coupon in the n&o today so methinks I will be there at lunch today with my Dad. Hungry already. YMMMMM.

OZZIE, how did Pat's or Geno's compare to Sami's in Selma? Or did I miss that comparison? (just trying to give you ample opportunity to stay ahead of me in the PWing )

This thread inspired me to buy the ingredients to make Philly cheese steak sandwiches. First wine, now cheese steak. Maybe I should stay away from any of the food/beverage-inspired threads...

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    OZZIE, how did Pat's or Geno's compare to Sami's in Selma? Or did I miss that comparison? (just trying to give you ample opportunity to stay ahead of me in the PWing )
    See my post #28 in this thread, where I said
    I liked Geno's a bit better than Pat's, but to be honest, neither is as good as what I can get at Sami's in Selma, NC.

Both Geno's and Pat's are over rated.
    And you know I'm just bustin' your chops a bit. No way am I ever going to catch up to you once you pass me in # of posts.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

cheese steaks

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    See my post #28 in this thread, where I said

And you know I'm just bustin' your chops a bit. No way am I ever going to catch up to you once you pass me in # of posts.
    I realized that. Why do you think the smilies are there and they are used so often. Hope you had a productive trip to Philly. Shoulda told me you were going or called. Had a cheese steak today at Jersey Mikes. Need to make a trip to Sami's soon-his are better .(but not THAT much better)

In Jupiter, Florida, (just a little north of West Palm Beach) there's a place called Baldino's. The owner, Sal Baldino, moved from Philadelphia years ago, but still orders the rolls from Philly. The cheese steak was the best one I've ever had, and I ordered it with provolone, peppers, and onions. Man...I wish I could get one of those for dinner.

Quote Originally Posted by ugadevil View Post
    In Jupiter, Florida, (just a little north of West Palm Beach) there's a place called Baldino's. The owner, Sal Baldino, moved from Philadelphia years ago, but still orders the rolls from Philly. The cheese steak was the best one I've ever had, and I ordered it with provolone, peppers, and onions. Man...I wish I could get one of those for dinner.
    It is actually in Tequesta, just north of Jupiter. I was up there today, though I did not stop there I have in the past. I wish I had thought of Baldino's, I would have stayed and had dinner there!

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    It is actually in Tequesta, just north of Jupiter. I was up there today, though I did not stop there I have in the past. I wish I had thought of Baldino's, I would have stayed and had dinner there!
    Touche. I put Jupiter since I didn't think anyone would have a clue as to where Tequesta was. I'd recommend Baldino's for various things.
    Great calzones, sandwiches, and pizza. Also, the owner is always there when I go and he always gets around and talks to his customers.

Next time you're there, go to Baldino's...and then drive over to Jupiter Island and stare at all the big houses.

cheese steaks

Portland, Oregon-well, technically Milwaukie, a few miles south of Portland is the location of Philly Steak and Cheese (I think that name is correct as I have not been there in several years). Steve, the owner, still 'imports' his rolls and steak from Philly, and even brews his own beer-quite a good combination . His sammiches are delicious and quite 'authentic'. Look it/him up next time any one visits the City of Roses.

amoroso

Wish I'd seen this thread earlier, as one who made and still has a stained glass cheesesteak in his house (the subject of an article in the Philadephia Inquirer).

Several thoughts: While one can argue all day about who has the best cheesesteak in town, almost EVERY decent corner sandwich shop makes a good cheesesteak. Years ago I was partial to Jim's on South St., but you could get a very nice cheesesteak in hundreds of places.

Much of this is due to the roll, the key ingredient in my book, and the reason why cheesesteaks outside of Philly tend to be bogus.

In Philadelphia, the Amoroso bakery supplied almost every cheesesteak shop in town, and their roll was (and presumably still is) truly magnificent. Crisp on the outside, but soft inside. The perfect Italian roll. If it ain't on an Amoroso roll, it can't taste like a really Philly cheesesteak.

Cheez Wiz: yes, the thought is abhorrent, but in fact The Wiz is pretty much the perfect ingredient, and should be applied with a pain stirring stick from a molten can of Wiz sitting on a corner of the grill.

If you want to lose a Presidential election, just ask for your steak with swiss cheese. That should do it.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Wish I'd seen this thread earlier, as one who made and still has a stained glass cheesesteak in his house (the subject of an article in the Philadephia Inquirer).

Several thoughts: While one can argue all day about who has the best cheesesteak in town, almost EVERY decent corner sandwich shop makes a good cheesesteak. Years ago I was partial to Jim's on South St., but you could get a very nice cheesesteak in hundreds of places.

Much of this is due to the roll, the key ingredient in my book, and the reason why cheesesteaks outside of Philly tend to be bogus.

In Philadelphia, the Amoroso bakery supplied almost every cheesesteak shop in town, and their roll was (and presumably still is) truly magnificent. Crisp on the outside, but soft inside. The perfect Italian roll. If it ain't on an Amoroso roll, it can't taste like a really Philly cheesesteak.

Cheez Wiz: yes, the thought is abhorrent, but in fact The Wiz is pretty much the perfect ingredient, and should be applied with a pain stirring stick from a molten can of Wiz sitting on a corner of the grill.

If you want to lose a Presidential election, just ask for your steak with swiss cheese. That should do it.
    I completely agree with being able to find a good cheesesteak almost anywhere. But, I think if you're trying a cheesesteak for the first time one is required to go to Pat's and/or Geno's for a bit of authenticity. Then branch out. Heck, I practically lived off of cheesesteak sandwiches in Middletown, DE during high school.

As an aside, and something that bugged me for a long time, I really miss those neighborhood places that abound in the Philadelphia area (including NJ and DE). It's just not the same in Durham.

cheese steaks

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post

The same comments can also be made about a really, really good hoagie. You can put all your quality salami, ham, capicola, turkey, lettuce, tomato, onion, oil, vinegar and spices you want on a roll, but the Amoroso variety is the classic. Ymm. How about a ymm, hoagie thread?

Smile Italian Bakeries

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    The same comments can also be made about a really, really good hoagie. You can put all your quality salami, ham, capicola, turkey, lettuce, tomato, onion, oil, vinegar and spices you want on a roll, but the Amoroso variety is the classic. Ymm. How about a ymm, hoagie thread?
    In St. Louis, Amighetti's bakery (in the heart of the Hill) is the standard in hoagie/sub/whatever-you-want-to-call-it roll. In St. Louis, if it isn't on an Amighetti roll, it's not a real sub.

Cheers,
    Lavabe