Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ol' Roy vs. the Decals...

Towards the end of the UNC's game against RFK Middle School...er I mean Arkansas...yesterday, Roy was out on the court gesturing to Jim Nance and Billy Packer about the GIANT NCAA logo decal over midcourt (seriously, could that thing BE any bigger). Apparently, lots of players slipped on it and Roy was worried someone would get hurt. Today, I read in the Greensboro paper this quote from Roy:

"Two years from now, we have been asked to play in a tournament, and I'm refusing to play in the tournament if we have to put logos on the floor..."

Yeah, right. I'm sure the Rams Club and the ACC office will back you on that one, Roy! First off, I'm not sure what kind of third-person, present-future-pluperfect tense that is he was using, but I got the gist of it. My question is this - why wait 2 years to refuse to play? If you feel so strongly about it, boycott the rest of this tourney! Oh wait, I forgot, he's got a really strong team, so...scratch that. I guess he feels that they'll be strong next year too or else he'd have only put a one year time limit on it. I guess the real message here is that Ol' Roy thinks his team won't be so hot in two years. Something to look forward to, no doubt

Isn't the Kansas Jayhawk court logo just about as big as Saturn?

But, Roy! You're just so cute when you get all flustered. That bad haircut makes you look like an impish, tiny elf, all red-faced and stomping around. Just precious.

The Jayhawk logo is covered by the same laminent or gloss that covers the hardwood. The decals are placed over said laminent and don't have the same sort of friction as a normal court.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisP View Post
    Towards the end of the UNC's game against RFK Middle School...er I mean Arkansas...yesterday, Roy was out on the court gesturing to Jim Nance and Billy Packer about the GIANT NCAA logo decal over midcourt (seriously, could that thing BE any bigger). Apparently, lots of players slipped on it and Roy was worried someone would get hurt. Today, I read in the Greensboro paper this quote from Roy:

"Two years from now, we have been asked to play in a tournament, and I'm refusing to play in the tournament if we have to put logos on the floor..."

Yeah, right. I'm sure the Rams Club and the ACC office will back you on that one, Roy! First off, I'm not sure what kind of third-person, present-future-pluperfect tense that is he was using, but I got the gist of it. My question is this - why wait 2 years to refuse to play? If you feel so strongly about it, boycott the rest of this tourney! Oh wait, I forgot, he's got a really strong team, so...scratch that. I guess he feels that they'll be strong next year too or else he'd have only put a one year time limit on it. I guess the real message here is that Ol' Roy thinks his team won't be so hot in two years. Something to look forward to, no doubt
    The Rams Club will, indeed, back Roy on that, as will the Athletic dept; just as Duke's would if K decided to do the same. The ACC has no say in which sanctioned, optional tournament Carolina, or any other school, does or does not decide to enter.

Not sure why you're getting on Roy for his criticism of those stupid, garish, dangerous logos that take up half the playing floor, other than that it's Roy, but I'm prepared to make a wager regarding where Carolina will be ranked two years from now, if you are.

Even a blind banjo player plucks a few strings now and then. I agree with Our Friend Roy on this one. Other than being an eyesore, mid court tourney decals DO cause a ton of slipping (I remember a similar problem this year at Maui). The playing surface shouldn't impact the game, or worse, exposure players to unnecessary injury risk. Even though I enjoyed seeing Hansbrough fall on his butt on Sunday (enjoyed repeatedly, thanks to the magic of Tivo), unless a way can be found to make them non-slip, the NCAA should ban those decals, or at least mandate that they not be as absurdly huge as the one in Raleigh was.

Williams is right

I went to the games in Raleigh and players were slipping on the logos quite a bit. They were slipping all over the place in the Georgia-Xavier first-round game I saw on TV. It's not just the big NCAA logo at midcourt either. The smaller ones at either end of the court are bad too. Sooner or later, someone will get injured or a team will lose a game on a last-second turnover caused by a player falling down.

Talking The ATL solution

A little 10-cent Coca-Cola will eat away that decal trouble.

Then again, I better check SNOPES.

Cheers,
    Lavabe

Man...lighten up!

I assumed that the sarcastic tone of my post would be fairly apparent but...I guess not. Perhaps some of us are still in a bad mood over that WVU game? Hmm...hmmm?

Obviously, I don't want anyone to get hurt falling on one of those stupid logos. I do agree that they're silly and kinda dangerous. However, I do think it's disingenuous of Ol' Roy to make that bold statement about refusing to play in a tourney (especially one as big and important as the NCAAs) if there were logos on the floor. And for the record, no I don't think the Rams Club would back him on that.

And, also for the record, I'm willing to wager that the NCAA logos will still be on the court in 2 years along with the Tar Heels. I just hope someone drags up this quote and asks Roy about it at that time...

However, I do think it's disingenuous of Ol' Roy to make that bold statement about refusing to play in a tourney (especially one as big and important as the NCAAs) if there were logos on the floor. And for the record, no I don't think the Rams Club would back him on that.

And, also for the record, I'm willing to wager that the NCAA logos will still be on the court in 2 years along with the Tar Heels. I just hope someone drags up this quote and asks Roy about it at that time...

He's not talking about the NCAA Tournament, but something like the Maui Invitational.

I think Roy is definitely right here. The ACC logo in Charlotte had the same problem. Multiple players slipped on it, and the ACC had guys going out with one of those huge brooms to sweep it off during every media timeout. IMHO, the huge NCAA/ACC logos are unneeded. When people the tournament on TV, they realize that they are watching the NCAA tournament. They don't need the huge blue logo to tell them so.

On another note, how long has the NCAA been using these things? I feel like it hasn't been that long, but I could be mistaken.

Really?

Quote Originally Posted by phillyheel View Post
    He's not talking about the NCAA Tournament, but something like the Maui Invitational.
    What evidence do you have that he was not referring to the NCAA tourney? I mean...he did make the comment in a press conference after his most recent NCAA game. A game in which multiple players slipped on a logo that said "NCAA" on it. Why would you assume that he's referring to anything other than the NCAA tournament in that quote?

Why would you assume that he's referring to anything other than the NCAA tournament in that quote?
    "Two years from now, we have been asked to play in a tournament"

They generally don't give out NCAA bids two years in advance. They do, however, invite you to play in Maui or the Pre-Season NIT or what have you a couple seasons or more ahead of time.

Oh yeah, he was concerned about someone getting hurt alright....he left his starters in the game for 38 minutes against Arkansas!
    Can you imagine the uproar if someone on his squad had gotten hurt!

What is he doing leaving those players in there that long? That game was over at the 7 minute mark!

I've heard UNC fans complain about K running up the score by leaving his starters in....they should check the boxscores of the Mount St Mary and Arkansas games!

No more decals...

And so the decals will be pulled:
    http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/c...y/1012279.html

I also noticed at the ACC Tournament how many people slipped on the huge logo in the middle. The guy with the broom was having to work overtime to keep it clean!

Quote Originally Posted by Surfsideron View Post
    Oh yeah, he was concerned about someone getting hurt alright....he left his starters in the game for 38 minutes against Arkansas!

What is he doing leaving those players in there that long? That game was over at the 7 minute mark!

I've heard UNC fans complain about K running up the score by leaving his starters in....they should check the boxscores of the Mount St Mary and Arkansas games!

Do you think Alex Stephenson, Quentin Thomas and Danny Green are starters? Because they were playing at that point in the game...dont blame us if our 5 to 10 are actually decent playerss...

why not just put the decals on the floor digitally for TV audiences only? They do it all the time in soccer and football.

Unbelievable!

Quote Originally Posted by crote View Post
    "Two years from now, we have been asked to play in a tournament"

They generally don't give out NCAA bids two years in advance. They do, however, invite you to play in Maui or the Pre-Season NIT or what have you a couple seasons or more ahead of time.
    If you think that's what Roy meant by that quote, I have a bridge I'd love to sell ya. Maybe his syntax is just screwy, but it seems to me that if in fact he was talking about Maui or Alaska or some other early season tourney, then why didn't he say this, "We have been asked to play in a tournament two years from now and I'm refusing to play in the tournament if we have to put logos on the floor"?

That's NOT what he said, is it? I can't believe I'm arguing with you people about this. I'm out!

If you think that's what Roy meant by that quote, I have a bridge I'd love to sell ya. Maybe his syntax is just screwy, but it seems to me that if in fact he was talking about Maui or Alaska or some other early season tourney, then why didn't he say this, "We have been asked to play in a tournament two years from now and I'm refusing to play in the tournament if we have to put logos on the floor"?

That's NOT what he said, is it? I can't believe I'm arguing with you people about this. I'm out!
    Then why did you start the thread?

This thread is just about the as far a reach to criticize Williams as I can imagine. I am glad he complained about the logos. They are as dangerous as they are pointless.

Quote Originally Posted by Surfsideron View Post
    First off I agree with Coach Williams and his take on the logos.

Second, UNC's lineup at the 3:14 mark of the second half with an 103-67 lead was Hansbrough, Ginyard, Lawson, Stepheson and Green. At this point they were all subbed out except for Danny Green. Surfsideron was off by 1:14.

I am in the camp that it is the losing teams responsibility to keep from getting blown out, but Coach Williams did seem to playing with fire here. Do your two best players (Tyler and Ty) really need to be on the floor in a 36 point blowout with 3 minutes left. Especially when one of them had slipped on the aforementioned logo resulting in an ugly-looking fall a few minutes earlier?