Mike Freeman's Absurd Comments

I'm sure many of you have already read that idiots article over at cbs sportsline. But I thought I would just post what had to be the highlight...

"Duke losing like this should not be completely unexpected. Every dynasty ends. The Green Bay Packers, the Chicago Bulls and the New York Yankees, among others, all evaporated.

Now, the Blue Devils dynasty is officially done after suffering its first opening-round loss in over a decade. Goodnight, Dukies. You're not much better than Rutgers."

Really? Rutgers?

Apparently they weren't absurd enough for you to not perpetuate them.

What does that even mean?

It means Freeman achieved his goal of getting you to talk about his article and draw attention to it, and you have likely caused more people to go look it up, thereby increasing his readership.

If you wished to marginalize him, you should have said nothing. Instead, you have promoted him to the DBR audience.

I'd argue disseminate would be a better word choice. Its not like he's preserving Freeman's comments for time immemorial; the CBS article catalogue will do that. Anyway, just get used to the DUKE AM DOO3D! mantra from the pundits. They have to pay their bills somehow and yellow journalism seems to get the job done.

Wow, you are a genius. A total genius. So sorry I secretly promoted Mike Freeman as the greatest writer ever. He writes for CBS Sportsline, I feel pretty certain he has plenty of readers.

Quote Originally Posted by grizzly1 View Post
    Wow, you are a genius. A total genius. So sorry I secretly promoted Mike Freeman as the greatest writer ever. He writes for CBS Sportsline, I feel pretty certain he has plenty of readers.
    You miss the point.

it seems bitterness from the season ending loss has ensued. let's hug it out. and support the women's team.

Quote Originally Posted by grizzly1 View Post
    Wow, you are a genius. A total genius.
    Thanks! Would you mind telling my wife that? I could sure use the help.

you know what's a good idea... talking down to a fellow fan for absolutely no reason. i'm sure you are the wisest and smartest poster around, oh wise feldspar. maybe you should not have encouraged me by replying to my post, then.

Part of it may stem from the fact that being a Duke fan means being an apologist especially as of late, so may we're all quick to jump on anyone who seems to antagonize us. I've come to terms with the fact college basketball zeitgeist has deemed us public enemy number one. So be it. If they want a boogeyman so bad, then Duke will be the boogeyman.

the gold chains mentioned in the article

I understand the comments about Freeman's article from both sides...yes, it is on cbs sportsline and probably read by a large number of people who go to the website today...yes, mention on this board draws attention to the article. That said, I saw the article this AM, and it raised a question that people on this board may have some info on. Can a coach give gifts (e.g., gold chains) to players with remaining eligibility? I have worked in academic support for the athletic departments of two D-1 schools, and we have been consistently told that we are UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES to give gifts to players. To underscore this point, I have even been told not to give a student athlete a ride home or soft drink, as this could cause trouble with the NCAA. I'm sure this would be a slight infraction (if an infraction at all), especially when compared with D-1 athletes who I am certain receive much more valuable gifts. However, it was surprising to see it referenced in print.

I do think the rumors of Duke's death are greatly exaggerated, and I look forward to next year!

Yeah, it really sucks having our dynasty end. Carolina's had theirs end a few years ago too. Wow yeah it sucks having your "dynasty" end. Don't journalists know the meaning of the word?

*laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh!*

Ohhhhhhhhh that is RICH. That is the best thing EVER. EEEVVVEERRR.

Hah hah hah

I am actually sitting here at my computer laughing out loud

Goodbye, "newspaper career!"

HAH! Maybe he was just upset that so many Duke ballplayers graduate from college but he didn't?