Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Time to consider six fouls instead of five?

Apologies if this has been previously posted but did anyone hear D. Patrick talking about Vitale's comment that it may be time to consider increasing the college fouls to six? The big man's game is becoming hampered by the five, as the game has become faster.
    Any thoughts? I think it's a good idea but I suspect many do not. The second part of Vitale's argument was no fouling out, instead two shots and the ball, which sounds much more difficult to argue.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley

Bad idea, and bad idea

I think 5 fouls is perfect. It requires smart play and smart coaching, with consequences for bad judgement. As for the idea of never fouling out, that's an even worse idea. There is no jeopardy in it, so you can leave your best players in the whole game. The last 2 minutes of any game will be even more of a foul fest than they already are.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I think 5 fouls is perfect. It requires smart play and smart coaching, with consequences for bad judgement. As for the idea of never fouling out, that's an even worse idea. There is no jeopardy in it, so you can leave your best players in the whole game. The last 2 minutes of any game will be even more of a foul fest than they already are.
    But, do you agree that the 6 are ok for the pro game? Is it because of the game being longer? I just feel big men are more often penalized that faster, smaller players and not just because of the overall nature of the game. They are slower moving targets.
    I agree that the never fouling out is lame.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    But, do you agree that the 6 are ok for the pro game? Is it because of the game being longer? I just feel big men are more often penalized that faster, smaller players and not just because of the overall nature of the game. They are slower moving targets.
    I agree that the never fouling out is lame.
    I think that if they actually called all the fouls that are committed, then 6 would be sufficient. I think they give them one or 2 extras anyways.
    But I don't watch enough pro games to make a fair judgement, it's just not a style of basketball that I enjoy.

It's actually being discussed in another thread. I'll merge the two.