Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I believe only numbers that have digits 0-5 can be used . . . i.e.:

0-5
    10-15
    20-25
    30-35
    40-45
    50-55

that is a total of 36 numbers. When you consider there are already 10 or 11 players on the team, and then a slew of numbers retired, it doesnt leave all that many for the picking.

Those numbers are the ones allowed because referees dont want to make a number with more than one hand when signaling a foul to the scorers table.

As an aside, I think I saw that UNC recruit Larry Drew, who garnered skepticism by being named to the McD team for his lower ranking, won the 3 pt shootout. I remember the golden years of Duke and the 3 pt shootout . . . Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but didnt Nate James win it, followed by Battier, followed by J-Wil, Duhon, and JJ?
    My Quick Smells Like French Toast.

Quote Originally Posted by steven52682 View Post
    Those numbers are the ones allowed because referees dont want to make a number with more than one hand when signaling a foul to the scorers table.
    I've never quite understood this because in the NBA refs use two hands to signal each digit. as a result, players can wear whatever number they like. perhaps our resident DBR ref can give a logical explanation?

Give the numbers back

Duke should consider keeping the "number" retired but put at least some of the jerseys back into circulation. It would be a flimsy reason not to sign with a school, but it's not totally far-fetched to think a kid would tell a school 'No' because the number he wants is retired.
    There's an interesting story about J.J. Redick. His favorite number as a kid was 25. He fell in love with Duke after the 1992 season and made up his mind early on that he wanted to go to Durham. Then he found out Art Heyman's No. 25 was retired. He was steamed for awhile but he changed to No. 4 when he got to high school and the rest is ACC history.

Quote Originally Posted by FreezingDevil View Post
    By my count, here are the #s available for next year: 13, 21, 34, 40, 45, 50, 52, 53, 54.

Slim pickings. I imagine that Elliott will not take anything above 40. I think 21 is a great # with a proud legacy behind it.
    I would think that Elliott should pick 34, considering that we've already have 31,32,33,35 all retired! Only missing 34!!

Didn't Battier say that he picked 31 because he wanted this number to hang up there together with 32/33?

now we dominate the dunk

With McBob and Henderson I believe having won back-to-back.

Quote Originally Posted by whereinthehellami View Post
    If UNC keeps everyone next year and adds Davis that will be an incredible team. He is the missing piece this year.
    He looks like the best player in this game to me. Uggh. I know - you can't judge much based on these games but I like his game. Drew looks better than I thought too. I can't get too much of a read on on EMail but I like that he seems committed to defense and isn't so selfish that he needs to shoot every time he touches the ball.

Brandon Jennings is a whirlwind.
    Singler is IRON

I STILL GOT IT! -- Ryan Kelly, March 2, 2013