Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Question for the techies in the group...

With more airwaves, speedier broadband

NEW YORK - Big changes are expected in the world of mobile phones and Internet devices in the wake of a crucial radio airwaves auction that was dominated by the nation's top two wireless carriers.

The overwhelming wins this past week by Verizon and AT&T put them in strong positions to roll out a new generation of speedy on-the-go broadband. For many wireless customers, the auction also will likely mean more choices when picking mobile gadgets and software because of an open-access requirement prompted by Google.
    I read this article today and I'm not 100% sure what it is telling me. How will this affect me?

Well, it sounds like it gives consumers two primary benefits.

1) Fast, wireless internet. I'm not talking wireless like your house may have a wireless network, because somewhere in that setup, you have a wire (or satellite) still going to your wireless router. This would mean you wouldn't even need that "last mile" wire/line -- instead, signals would be coming from cell towers.

2) More choice for phone handsets/alternate devices on these new networks. So, if you had AT&T "new broadband" service, you could buy a google phone, an HTC phone, an iPhone wannabe, or bring over a cheap import from Korea, and AT&T would have to let them on the network. It doesn't even have to look like a phone -- the device formfactor shouldn't really matter. It would just have to have the right hardware to connect to the new wireless network.

If this still doesn't help, feel free to post more specific questions/scenarios.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedawg View Post
    How will this affect me?
    More radiation being beamed at your brain?

I read this article today and I'm not 100% sure what it is telling me. How will this affect me?
    The frequencies available for broadcasting electric signals (used to in televisions, cell phones, wireless internet communication, etc) are divided into bands of spectrum which are licensed by the FCC to different companies or organizations, usually with specific constraints on how they are to be used. This is to guarantee that a tv network doesn't decide to broadcast signals in the cellular phone spectrum (not a good example, but it works) and thereby cripple cell phone communication. Licenses to use these ranges of spectrum are auctioned off to the highest bidder for many millions or billions of dollars.

Different bands of spectrum have different properties (range, ability to penetrate walls, etc) making them appropriate for different tasks. The chunk of spectrum that was recently auctioned is well suited for relatively long range data communication, so that means faster new cell phone voice and data networks.

Google entered as a bidder into the latest spectrum auction, and while they didn't win, they convinced the FCC to change the auction rules to force the bidder to allow access to the range of spectrum from alternative devices or bandwidth users at a fair rate. Typically, carriers such as Verizon and AT&T license a chunk of spectrum and forbid anyone else from using it. The open access rules mean that a wider range of devices will be available on these networks.

The net of that probably doesn't mean much for your current cell phone and devices, but it means greater consumer choice and faster devices in a year or two.

WiMax

Quote Originally Posted by billybreen View Post
    The chunk of spectrum that was recently auctioned is well suited for relatively long range data communication, so that means faster new cell phone voice and data networks.

The net of that probably doesn't mean much for your current cell phone and devices, but it means greater consumer choice and faster devices in a year or two.
    It's called WiMax, as opposed to the current WiFi. This will allow wireless internet connections at broadband speeds to your laptop as you drive around town, or to your house without the cable or phone line. The signals travel miles from the tower, much like cell signals to your phone.

Airspan Networks (AIRN) and AU Optronics (AUO) are a couple of the major players in delivering this equipment to the suppliers like Verizon or AT&T. They've been supplying it overseas for years while the "standards" have been developed and settled (sort of like the BluRay/HD DVD battle).
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    It's called WiMax, as opposed to the current WiFi.
    Where do you get that this auction was for WiMax? I was under the impression that a) WiMax was primarily a Sprint/Clearwire-championed technology (so why would they not bid and Verizon/AT&T did?) and b) WiMax (aka 802.16e) is at a much higher frequency of the spectrum (2.3GHz) than the bands being auctioned (around 700MHz).

Quote Originally Posted by DevilAlumna View Post
    Where do you get that this auction was for WiMax? I was under the impression that a) WiMax was primarily a Sprint/Clearwire-championed technology (so why would they not bid and Verizon/AT&T did?) and b) WiMax (aka 802.16e) is at a much higher frequency of the spectrum (2.3GHz) than the bands being auctioned (around 700MHz).
    You are correct. This was for a separate chunk of spectrum.

Well, it sounds like it gives consumers two primary benefits.

1) Fast, wireless internet. I'm not talking wireless like your house may have a wireless network, because somewhere in that setup, you have a wire (or satellite) still going to your wireless router. This would mean you wouldn't even need that "last mile" wire/line -- instead, signals would be coming from cell towers.

2) More choice for phone handsets/alternate devices on these new networks. So, if you had AT&T "new broadband" service, you could buy a google phone, an HTC phone, an iPhone wannabe, or bring over a cheap import from Korea, and AT&T would have to let them on the network. It doesn't even have to look like a phone -- the device formfactor shouldn't really matter. It would just have to have the right hardware to connect to the new wireless network.

If this still doesn't help, feel free to post more specific questions/scenarios.
    It does help, in fact all of thee responses help. However, what I've taken from all of these is that I am basically unaffected.

I don't own a notebook computer and don't use wireless so the expanded broadband will not affect me.

I use my cell phone only for phone calls and texting, very limited Internet [just scores] and no e-mail on the phone so the only thing I can expect out of this is probably a clearer and stronger cell signal over the next couple of years.

Correct?

It does help, in fact all of thee responses help. However, what I've taken from all of these is that I am basically unaffected.

I don't own a notebook computer and don't use wireless so the expanded broadband will not affect me.

I use my cell phone only for phone calls and texting, very limited Internet [just scores] and no e-mail on the phone so the only thing I can expect out of this is probably a clearer and stronger cell signal over the next couple of years.

Correct?
    You may find yourself buying or receiving for free a cell phone with strong (and fast) internet connectivity in the next few years -- it may be hard to find one without. But excepting that, no this won't affect you.

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    This will allow wireless internet connections at broadband speeds to your laptop as you drive around town
    So now in addition to talking on the phone while we drive, we can have our computer in our lap and surf the web too! I am going to buy a tank - it may be the only way to stay safe.

Correct?
    You'll probably be more interested in a mobile device that receives all sorts of video (the only options currently are basically mobile TVs, but this should lead to streaming video improvements).

Wait a minute. Am I not understanding this? It would seem to me that this new form of wireless broadband makes all forms of communication coming into my home obsolete. It will replace everything we now use including TV, land line telephone, internet access, digital telephone, and it will deliver countless new services on top of that. The next thing we'll know is that it would be possible to transmit electric power over broadband wireless. That would only leave a need for water and sewer connections since a natural gas connection to my home would not be needed. Beam me up, Scotty. To infinity and beyond... tah dah!

Jarhead may think he's kidding, but wireless power transmission is possible.

From 2006:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/6129460.stm

The tangle of cables and plugs needed to recharge today's electronic gadgets could soon be a thing of the past.

US researchers have outlined a relatively simple system that could deliver power to devices such as laptop computers or MP3 players without wires.

The concept exploits century-old physics and could work over distances of many metres, the researchers said.
    Now all I want is a great natural voice user interface (typing/writing/clicking/pointing is so 2000's) for all my gadgetry & computering.

Quote Originally Posted by allenmurray View Post
    So now in addition to talking on the phone while we drive, we can have our computer in our lap and surf the web too! I am going to buy a tank - it may be the only way to stay safe.
    Ford is working on broadband-connected cars. Several companies are developing after-market devices to connect your car to the internet. Your surfing-while-driving future is already here!

Quote Originally Posted by Exiled_Devil View Post
    Ford is working on broadband-connected cars. Several companies are developing after-market devices to connect your car to the internet. Your surfing-while-driving future is already here!
    A broadband connected car would be fantastic: GPS directions could include traffic and re-route as necessary, maps would update to road changes (slightly less of a problem in Boston now that the Big Dig is over), and I could update the iPod in my glove compartment without needed to connect it to a laptop.

P.S. I've been guilty of surfing at stop lights on my iphone, but I try to avoid browsing while in motion.

Quote Originally Posted by Exiled_Devil View Post
    I've seen cars with GSM-enabled touch-sensitive Tablet PCs built into the headrests, so passengers can browse while hurtling down the highway.

I have also heard of folks who have put a wireless router in the trunk of the car, connected to a cell phone, so all passengers in the car can share in the internet access. (Makes for happy commuters.)

Again, now give me a natural voice interface!! (So I can just say "read all new DBR Posts" and enjoy my drive to work listening to y'all. )

I've seen cars with GSM-enabled touch-sensitive Tablet PCs built into the headrests, so passengers can browse while hurtling down the highway.

I have also heard of folks who have put a wireless router in the trunk of the car, connected to a cell phone, so all passengers in the car can share in the internet access. (Makes for happy commuters.)

Again, now give me a natural voice interface!! (So I can just say "read all new DBR Posts" and enjoy my drive to work listening to y'all. )
    Now we can be so "connected" that we never have to speak to anyone, face to face. What a Brave New World.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Now we can be so "connected" that we never have to speak to anyone, face to face. What a Brave New World.
    Sounds like heaven to me.

Quote Originally Posted by billybreen View Post
    You may find yourself buying or receiving for free a cell phone with strong (and fast) internet connectivity in the next few years -- it may be hard to find one without. But excepting that, no this won't affect you.
    for me its a cost thing. the more "stuff" you run through the cell phone the most it costs. I talk and text...and check scores

for me its a cost thing. the more "stuff" you run through the cell phone the most it costs. I talk and text...and check scores
    For now, but as features become commoditized, they become expected bare minimums. Think cars -- new features are introduced, and within a generation they move from being premium options to being expected.

In a few years, the high end feature on cell phones will likely be video chat, and a first class web browsing experience will be de rigeur (thanks in no small part to the iPhone raising our expectations).