Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by rthomas View Post
    I'm not taking up for them. You know the sayin "Act like you've been there before". That really applies at all levels.
    Don't take this the wrong way, but I strongly disagree. You're correct that nothing they said after the game changes the result or the way they played. However, their comments certainly cheapen the way that they played. The only thing that this win appeared to "mean" to those players was an opportunity to disrespect their opponents and the game; meanwhile, I rarely have seen a situation in which our players or staff ripped into their opponents after a win or failed to give credit where it was due after a loss.

Further, we fans are not the public face of the program. They, the players and staff, are. I don't defend many of the silly things that were said by Duke fans last night, but the players and the staff have to be held to a higher standard. There is a reason that opposing player and staff comments, rather than fan comments, end up on locker room bulletin boards.

Whatever respect I had for that program after Huggins arrived is now gone. It would be different if it were one or two players, but it was at least four; that reflects a culture within the team rather than a couple of loudmouths.

Quote Originally Posted by Law Talking Guy View Post
    Don't take this the wrong way, but I strongly disagree. You're correct that nothing they said after the game changes the result or the way they played. However, their comments certainly cheapen the way that they played. The only thing that this win appeared to "mean" to those players was an opportunity to disrespect their opponents and the game; meanwhile, I rarely have seen a situation in which our players or staff ripped into their opponents after a win or failed to give credit where it was due after a loss.
    Like I said: I'm not taking up for them or Huggy with respect to how they act off the court. I was not a in favor of replacing Beilein with Huggins when it happened (if the archive goes back to last year you can look it up, I spoke out on this quite loudly) and I still am not "on board" with him. I will admit that Huggy has made Beilein's team better in terms of how they play on the court. However, if I were their coach I would not put up with them talking trash - at all. And maybe it is something that they can learn as they get used to winning as Duke has done through Coach K.

On the other hand, I wouldn't lump all WVU players into one type of behavior becasue of the coach or one or two (or even three) players. In the same vein, I take up for Duke's players when one is singled out for boorish behavior (for example when I was at Duke in 91,92).
    ~rthomas

Wink Well... at least it wasn't a house of Terps

Quote Originally Posted by rthomas View Post
    yes, I survived. By drinking a whold lot in the second half and after the game. I'll still take Duke anyday. Thanks, DA!
    I suggest placing your drink selection in the "Ycch... Beer" thread.

Long live the Appalachian DBR Mafia!
    Cheers,
    Lavabe