Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Duke WBB vs. Murray State - Pre-game & In-game thread

Just a reminder that our women's Duke Blue Devil team will be playing tomorrow night against the Murray State Pacers! The game is at 7PM eastern, televised on ESPN2.

Cheer on Abby Waner, Coach P, and our beloved Duke!

The ladies have a decent bracket and have a real chance to do some damage in the NCAA's. They showed plenty of passion and smarts in thumping Maryland in the ACC Tournament. It seemed to me that their defensive intensity created situations that led to a more fluid, instinctive offensive production in that game. Hopefully, they will hit their stride in post-season. Not a bad time to find it.

They can do it...Congratulations to Coach P and her great young women. They have continued to work together and believe in each other, and they represent Duke so well. We're proud you!!!

I'm going to the game tonight and am very excited! If you're in the area, this is definitely something you should try to go to. The team could really use some support.

Ummmm

Quote Originally Posted by DevilAlumna View Post
    Just a reminder that our women's Duke Blue Devil team will be playing tomorrow night against the Murray State Pacers! The game is at 7PM eastern, televised on ESPN2.

Cheer on Abby Waner, Coach P, and our beloved Duke!
    That's Murray State Racers. Not Pacers. I thought the Duke faithful would have at least remembered the name after the Men's basketball team played Duke to 3 points back in 1997. I do believe Mark Gottfried was the coach for MSU that year.

Anyway...good luck to the Duke WBB team!

Good Luck tonight to the ladies! Give us something to smile about tonight

Quote Originally Posted by dynastydefender View Post
    That's Murray State Racers. Not Pacers. I thought the Duke faithful would have at least remembered the name after the Men's basketball team played Duke to 3 points back in 1997. I do believe Mark Gottfried was the coach for MSU that year.
    D'oh! My bad -- and I was even there in person for the 1997 game.

(And the following Sunday game, where the Providence Friars took on our Devils, and God Shamgod lit us up. It was the only time I wished our mascot wasn't the devil. )

But I'm still proud to say, Go Blue Devils!

Bumping this back to the front page --

And the game is at the 'Twerp's Comcast Center, so hope there are some DC-based folk who went to cheer on the Blue Devils in person!

We're up 35-23 at halftime. On ESPNU.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

We look alright. Abby still hasn't found her shot though.

10. Duke is now blowing them out late in the 2nd. GO DUKE!

No ESPNU here ... game not on TV

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    We're up 35-23 at halftime. On ESPNU.
    Will someone do a review of the game, as some of us (in ATL) did not get the game? Briefly, what happened?
    Many Thanks,
    Lavabe

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    Will someone do a review of the game, as some of us (in ATL) did not get the game? Briefly, what happened?
    Many Thanks,
    Lavabe
    If others would please add to this that would be great.

Basically, Duke played strong for 95% of the game. After the first half, Murray State came back ready to play and got it within 5 points (or was it 3?). The women pulled away again. Smith was player of the game and all 11 of our players scored tonight. I'm horrible about remembering final scores, but it was somewhere around +20 for us.

GO DUKE!!!

Duke pulled away late on the stregnth of good passing and GREAT D. I know its a 14 seed but they sure looked impressive for the last ~16 minutes.

I was amazed at the severity of the anti-duke booing, especially considering that the stadium was maybe 15% full... I fuess the Duke hatred tsunami is in full force

Good win for the lady devils tonight- here's to hoping that there are 5 more to come!

Quote Originally Posted by godukecom View Post
    Duke pulled away late on the stregnth of good passing and GREAT D. I know its a 14 seed but they sure looked impressive for the last ~16 minutes.

I was amazed at the severity of the anti-duke booing, especially considering that the stadium was maybe 15% full... I fuess the Duke hatred tsunami is in full force

Good win for the lady devils tonight- here's to hoping that there are 5 more to come!
    The booing seemed to arise from the fact that Duke was still pressing full court and running its offense--including taking a three-point attempt--with a 22-point lead and less than 2 minutes left in the game. The announcers noted this and suggested, in Duke's defense, that the bench players who were on the floor for Duke at that time don't usually get many minutes and thus are expected to play as they would if subbed in during the heat of battle.

It was mostly MD fans who were booing, and it started when the team ran out before the game. At one point near the end, the band started chanting "GTHCGTH" and they booed that. You'd think they'd be happy to join us in that one!

Duke let up a bit at the end of the first half, beginning of the second, but then really hit their stride. Very impressive after that. A fun game to watch. Not too many Duke fans though, which was disappointing.

Quote Originally Posted by Stray Gator View Post
    The booing seemed to arise from the fact that Duke was still pressing full court and running its offense--including taking a three-point attempt--with a 22-point lead and less than 2 minutes left in the game. The announcers noted this and suggested, in Duke's defense, that the bench players who were on the floor for Duke at that time don't usually get many minutes and thus are expected to play as they would if subbed in during the heat of battle.

I don't think it's wrong to shoot when you rarely play and are up big, but I do question the pressing. Whether it was to get some extra practice for the next game, or some other reason, I do not know. It has happened before to me when I have played, and I'm not fond of it.

If it was unc though, I'm all for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Stray Gator View Post
    The announcers were correct--if Duke is to press like they did, then the "reserves" need to experience pressing and scoring off the press so as to be ready when/if their time comes. The twerps booing were just showing their ignorance.

Thank you (DukePA, godukecom, Stray Gator) very much for the reports of the game. Sorry to read about the DHTsunami, but I am hoping that StrayGator was correct. I fear, however, that it's a mixture of both, as:
    1) It was at Comcast Ctr;
    2) Leftover fans from earlier in the weekend;
    3) Murray St. is in Kentucky.

Sheesh! The DHT extends into the women's game? I really hope it hasn't gotten to that level.

Thanks again,
    Lavabe

I haven't seen much of the women this year unfortunately...I don't think we can advance far without Abbey finding her shot...is there a chance for that to happen? It seems looking at boxscores she does so many things well, except shoot the 3. Any chance they'll start falling? I'd love for her to break out in a big way...

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post

Sheesh! The DHT extends into the women's game? I really hope it hasn't gotten to that level.

Lavabe
    It most certainly does... come on. Do you really think that there were that many fans there from Kentucky to see the game? Or from that matter, from Philly or Arizona to see the next game (ASU vs Temple).

Mose people there (ok that would be like 50 people out of 200) were probably just duke-haters... They booed the cheerleaders when they came out before the team even took the floor. It is truly disgraceful, but it is what it is. People love to hate Duke. Duke Basketball, Soccer, Lacrosse, Polo, Basket Weaving, Chess, competitive eating, it doesn't matter; the ABD people will be there in full force