I just decided to start posting on this board after reading forever. I guess it's kinda appropriate since I attended Duke from 1972 to 1976 when a season like we just witnessed would have been considered a success.

While we all wanted to advance to the sweet 16, we knew we weren't going much further. Instead of focusing on the negative, I thought I might start a more positive thread.

Know we have done this before but I have never commented. The Duke Maryland game at Cameron in '72 was the greatest game I saw. In 1972 one only had to stand in line for about 4 to 5 hours to get a front row seat. My buddies and I got to Cameron about 4:00pm for an 8:00pm game. We were first in line and thus walked to our center court front row "on the floor with no press in the way" seats.

Duke had Gary Melchionni, as Senior with Randy Denton, Chris Redding, Alan Shaw and that other little guard, can't remember his name. Funniest warmup I ever saw. All season long Shaw and this guard would warmup by throwing full length passes to each other.

Anyway, we weren't any good. A breakeven season with a few upsets was all that was expected. But let me tell you, Melchionni was the smoothest player Duke has ever had. He had the most beautiful left handed shot he could get off from anywhere. Maryland was rated 1 or 2 in the country at the time; they may been undefeated at the time. John Lucas, "Bozo" Jim Obrien, Tom MacMillen and the TV announcer (whatshisname) were their stars. Lefty was their coach.

Well nobody on Maryland's team could stop Mel that night. I think he was 17 of 21 from the floor; scored like 41 points. In my opinion, the greatest single performance in Cameron by anyone; certainly top 5. The other 4 Duke players would spread the court and Gary would take whomever was trying to guard him one on one and he would beat them down the lane or hit the most beautiful turn around jumpers you ever saw. I guarantee you it has never been as loud in Cameron as it was that night. Tears were in my eyes it was so loud. A real "out of body" experience and the greatest moment of my wonderful Duke life.

Last night may have been disappointing but the thrills Duke has giving us over the years, well no one can take that away from us and dwarf these few disappointments. We'll be back.