Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Discussion of 2008-09

1. Find a way to develop an offense that isn't so reliant on the 3.

2. If we're going to miss on so many big man, let's go out and find the best big-man assistant coach in the nation we can get and have him work with what we have to work with.

3. I love Paulus. But he's a shooting guard.

4. A re-commitment to hard-nosed defense for 40 minutes.

I'm sure there are others, but that's all I can think of for right now.

Maybe Duke needs to start scheduling more true road games because this whole neutral court thing during the regular season to emulate the postseason doesn't work when no matter where you play the entire crowd hates you.

Quote Originally Posted by freedevil View Post
    Maybe Duke needs to start scheduling more true road games because this whole neutral court thing during the regular season to emulate the postseason doesn't work when no matter where you play the entire crowd hates you.
    Agreed. There's no such thing as a neutral court for us in the NCAA Tourney anymore.

And calling MSG and Charlotte Coliseum vs. Davidson road games is a joke.

Wink It Ain't the D-U-K-E on the Uni; It's the #2 Seed

Quote Originally Posted by feldspar View Post
    Agreed. There's no such thing as a neutral court for us in the NCAA Tourney anymore.
    IMHO, in the NCAAs and the ACCs, everyone roots for the underdog. So, if we started going to the tournament as a #10 seed, the problem could be solved.

Any takers?

sagegrouse

Next season we FINALLY don't have to heavily rely on a freshman or set of freshmen for success. For the '04,'06,'07, and '08 seasons we've had to put all our faith and hopes into the play of freshmen. That simply will not be the case next year. Elliot Williams could very well be an integral player for us next season, or maybe not. Point is, he won't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by freedevil View Post
    I don't completely disagree with you, because I think it home and homes against good teams are a good thing. But playing in Blacksburg, Tallahassee, Chapel Hill, Raleigh, Winston-Salem, College Park, Miami, and Charlottesville is plenty of experience playing in buildings where the whole crowd hates us. We're "road-tested" by the time the tournament rolls around, and I'm not sure a December game at Pittsburgh, for example, would make us more likely to play well at tournament sites.

Next year we should have a game at Georgetown, and we'll be on the road (though possibly at a neutral site) for the ACC/Big 10.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

How Much Better Can We Actually Be Next Year?

Can we improve?

Yes, but the limitations will continue to be there...

Some thoughts about next year

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Yes, but the limitations will continue to be there...

Now the season has drawn to a close we have nothing to do on the board until the fall except consider recruiting and perhaps state expectations for the 2008/2009 season. The hope is that none of our players will jump to the NBA over the summer and that Henderson’s wrist surgery will be successful. If that occurs, the team will be added to by Elliot Williams and Olek Czyz. We should also get Marty back in top shape, while we will lose a really good guy in Demarcus Nelson.
    Starting lineup options:
    Paulus Paulus Smith
    Scheyer Scheyer Scheyer
    Henderson Henderson Henderson
    Singler Singler Singler
    Thomas Zoubek Czyz

In addition, we will have a very solid bench of Pocius, Williams, King, McClure
    That represents 11 capable players with Paulus in his final year, (McClure and Pocius may be eligible for another year if they choose), Scheyer, Henderson, Thomas and Zoubek with two more years and Singler, Smith and King with 3 more years of eligibility. I doubt if all will stay the entire 4 years, but such is life at the top college programs.

What we lacked this year we will again lack next season, a strong inside presence. The defense of Demarcus will be missed, but we will have Smith and Williams who are thought of as good defenders with speed and length. It is hard to know how well freshmen will react, but Czyz offers at least the hope of a strong inside player with athleticism, who can provide minutes as he works into the lineup.

With Scheyer, Henderson, Paulus, Smith, Pocius and Williams we are bulletproof at the guard position. We should expect Zoubek to pick up next year with least at his recent level of play. King should show great improvement. McClure is a very good defender who may also pick up his offense. Thomas is kind of an unknown as will be Czyz.

All in all a talented team with a guard oriented attack and limitations in the front court. They will probably a little less turnover prone due to the experience level rising. It will be interesting to see how coach K adapts to team strategy to his talent level.

think about our great years

what was in common was they all had quality big men

Singler's a great forward,,, he isn't a center and it was a joke that that he played center

Quote Originally Posted by Duke76 View Post
    what was in common was they all had quality big men

Singler's a great forward,,, he isn't a center and it was a joke that that he played center
    In those years we had the go to guy...i.e. Laettner, Brand, Williams, Ferry, and Dawkins. We had balanced scoring this year, but no go to guy on the offensive end. In the game against WVU no one player looked like he wanted the ball in the clutch. To me, Scheyer was the best at putting the team on his back this season and driving the ball to the hoop, but we never saw that too much in late game situations (not a knock on just him). To me he was our most clutch player, with Paulus being the toughest.

On a side note, we need to follow our shots when we're jacking up 3s. We have one big inside to rebound b/c we spread the floor, but it'd be great to see shooters follow their shots.

It's always so hard to see them lose b/c we invest so much in the season, but remember, it is just a game and these kids ultimately need to be having fun. I hope to see more smiles next year, and later into March!

Quote Originally Posted by northernduke View Post
    In those years we had the go to guy...i.e. Laettner, Brand, Williams, Ferry, and Dawkins. We had balanced scoring this year, but no go to guy on the offensive end.
    Early in the year I did a thread on this and got blasted. I agree!

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by feldspar View Post
    1. Find a way to develop an offense that isn't so reliant on the 3.

2. If we're going to miss on so many big man, let's go out and find the best big-man assistant coach in the nation we can get and have him work with what we have to work with.

3. I love Paulus. But he's a shooting guard.

4. A re-commitment to hard-nosed defense for 40 minutes.

I'm sure there are others, but that's all I can think of for right now.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

1) agreed. Even with JJ we underperformed in 2005 and 2006

2) agreed. Our coaches have a guard's mentality because they were all guards. Pete Newell's big man camp in the offseason is not enough.

3) agree kind of. I think when we've had good inside players, especially Shelden, Paulus did better. But I think he's a combo guard. Still, too slow to put us over the top.

4) In the first half, we had this. I don't think we need a recommitment. We just need to recruit more players with killer instinct who can bury the opposition when the whole season is on the line.

We really need to commit to improving big men once they get on campus.

Perhaps a special roving instructor to mentor them

I happen to think we will be very good next year. Everyone back and better, except D-Marc. G and Kyle have the potential to be all-ACC performers next year. Zoubek needs to stay healthy and develop this summer. Hopefully we can figure out how to not limp into the tournament.

Mute this video unless you know about the dipset

I'de like to see this kid be just as explosive in college as he was in high school next year...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQNv_7IiqXk

Not peak in Jan/Feb by bombing 3's against bottom tier teams only to flame out in March.

Consistent inside game is the surest way to avoid this recurring scenario. But Duke bigmen have a significant trend of getting worse or hitting a plateau rather than improving.

Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by ArtVandelay View Post
    I happen to think we will be very good next year. Everyone back and better, except D-Marc. G and Kyle have the potential to be all-ACC performers next year. Zoubek needs to stay healthy and develop this summer. Hopefully we can figure out how to not limp into the tournament.
    Something to look forward to over the next 2 years is experience. I think Duke will have the experience factor often seen in mid-majors that come into the tournament knowing each other very well. Add to that the talent level that Duke has and I think we'll see some very good ball. Depth should be great as well, but it would still be nice to nail down a really athletic big.

Quote Originally Posted by SMO View Post
    Something to look forward to over the next 2 years is experience. I think Duke will have the experience factor often seen in mid-majors that come into the tournament knowing each other very well.
    I think that is an excellent point.

The loss to WVa was hard for all of us. Our expectations are high. It should be remembered that we had a slight down period between in the mid 90's before a second great run of championship teams. With Coach K at the helm our down periods are so slight that they are hardly noticed until tournament time when the format is one and done.
    To win the NCAA again I believe we need more size. Not height but bulk. Our last championship team included Boozer, Battier, Nate James, and J. Williams. No one was going to push them around. At present we seem very skilled but not strong.
    This is my opinion as a Duke alumnus and fan. I believe coach K knows what needs to be done and will rebuild the team. He is the best in the business. Duke will be back on top sooner rather than later.