Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: We vs Duke

We vs Duke

My friends and I have this argument all the time about when it is ok do say we when referring to a team. I’m one that believes that if a person does not know any of the players, coaches, give money to the school or gone to that school saying we is ridiculous.

When do you think we is appropriate to use?

About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.
    Quote Originally Posted by The1Bluedevil View Post
    My friends and I have this argument all the time about when it is ok do say we when referring to a team. I’m one that believes that if a person does not know any of the players, coaches, give money to the school or gone to that school saying we is ridiculous.

Given that I was a student at Duke, went to all the basketball games when I was there, and was called, as part of the student support, the "sixth man", I feel entitled to say "we", and usually do so.
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

I routinely say "we" when discussing Duke basketball. I am not a Duke graduate, do not know any of the players, coaches, do not donate money, etc...but I have been a fan since the 60s.
    Bob Green

This is ridiculous. Anytime you share a common goal with those around you it's natural to say "we" in this context. I dare suggest that a message board is such a place. So I guess professional sports fans should never say "we"??? unless you're counting buying tickets as donating money.

Seems that someone must have judged someone else as less-than-worthy, and when they dared to use "we" that someone felt insulted.

Fans are part of "we", and I've got no problem with it. In fact, I suppose I have exactly the opposite of a problem with it.

In the words of the Sports Guy Bill Simmons' 20 Rules for Being A Sports Fan:

"Be very careful when using the word "We" with your favorite team. Use it judiciously. Just remember, you don't wear a uniform, you don't play any minutes, and you're not on the team. And yes, this was an extremely tough line for me to straddle during the Patriots' Super Bowl run."

http://proxy.espn.go.com/espn/page2/...simmons/020227

Question The Play-by-play "we"

Quote Originally Posted by The1Bluedevil View Post

It's more odd when a play-by-play person does it on air. Having said that, Larry Munson at UGA made the use of "We" a part of his on-air shtick. It's odd to hear it at first.

Cheers,
    Lavabe

"WE" is okay to use as long as you've always used "we" and will continue to use "we" no matter what.

i have bounced back and forth. when the subject came up, my wife noted that i usually used "they" when the team won. "they looked good", "they were awesome on defense", "they had the 3 falling"...

and "we" when we lost. "we played poorly last night". "we couldn't figure out that zone", "we didn't have the energy we needed"...

i'm sure that makes sense...

My wife always tells me I shouldn't say "WE" because I'm not a student there anymore and don't work there. However, I feel like once a Blue Devil, always a Blue Devil so I will say "WE" until the day I die.
    Duke '96
    Cary, NC

Same boat

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    I routinely say "we" when discussing Duke basketball. I am not a Duke graduate, do not know any of the players, coaches, do not donate money, etc...but I have been a fan since the 60s.
    Bob

I am in the same boat as you, a long term fan that adopted the program. The we is an affectionate way to view the team. Those that find it offensive are welcome to their opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by jjasper0729 View Post
    My wife always tells me I shouldn't say "WE" because I'm not a student there anymore and don't work there. However, I feel like once a Blue Devil, always a Blue Devil so I will say "WE" until the day I die.
    Paraphrasing what was once told to Charlton Heston, "We are that we are".
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by nyr484 View Post
    In the words of the Sports Guy Bill Simmons' 20 Rules for Being A Sports Fan:

"Be very careful when using the word "We" with your favorite team. Use it judiciously. Just remember, you don't wear a uniform, you don't play any minutes, and you're not on the team. And yes, this was an extremely tough line for me to straddle during the Patriots' Super Bowl run."

http://proxy.espn.go.com/espn/page2/...simmons/020227
    Simple rule for life: if Simmons says it, it must be wrong.

What would Coach K say?

I'll bet Coach K would encourage Duke fans to say "we," to take ownership of the team.

My test would be what you would do to see the team play. If Duke is playing in your metropolitan region and you don't try to get to the game, don't use "we." If you'll drive more than 4 hours or get on an airplane to watch the team play, I think the "we" is deserved.

Other tests:

If you have been accused on this board of being a Pollyanna, you get to use "we."

If you have awakened to the cold feeling of Krzyzewskiville concrete on your cheek, you get to use "we."

If you have ever painted body parts a Duke blue, you get to use "we."

If you can spell Krzyzewski, you get to use "we."

If you have saved the SIs that have Duke players on the cover, you get to use "we."

If you have worn some type of costume to a Duke game, you get to use "we."

If you have lost at least one significant relationship due to a Duke game, you get to use "we."

If you have named pets after Duke players or CIS, you get to use "we."

If you would give up a "sure thing" for a Duke game, you get to use "we."

If you will loudly chant "Go to Hell Carolina" in any bar in the world while watching a Duke game, you get to use "we."

If you have ever taken a portable TV into a black tie affair to watch a Duke game, you get to use "we."

Hmm, I'm beginning to remember why "fan" is derived from "fanatic".

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    I'll bet Coach K would encourage Duke fans to say "we," to take ownership of the team.

My test would be what you would do to see the team play. If Duke is playing in your metropolitan region and you don't try to get to the game, don't use "we." If you'll drive more than 4 hours or get on an airplane to watch the team play, I think the "we" is deserved.

Other tests:

If you have been accused on this board of being a Pollyanna, you get to use "we."

If you have awakened to the cold feeling of Krzyzewskiville concrete on your cheek, you get to use "we."

If you have ever painted body parts a Duke blue, you get to use "we."

If you can spell Krzyzewski, you get to use "we."

If you have saved the SIs that have Duke players on the cover, you get to use "we."

If you have worn some type of costume to a Duke game, you get to use "we."

If you have lost at least one significant relationship due to a Duke game, you get to use "we."

If you have named pets after Duke players or CIS, you get to use "we."

If you would give up a "sure thing" for a Duke game, you get to use "we."

If you will loudly chant "Go to Hell Carolina" in any bar in the world while watching a Duke game, you get to use "we."

If you have ever taken a portable TV into a black tie affair to watch a Duke game, you get to use "we."

Hmm, I'm beginning to remember why "fan" is derived from "fanatic".
    Dude I agree with everything you say.... except Duke plays a good 15 or more games in my metropolitan area every year... I can't try to get to all of them!

I'm definitely a WE guy. Once you've bawled your eyes out on national TV in front of millions, there's just no denying you're a fanatic...

I say "we" when I'm around other Duke people -- that means here -- or when referring to the years when I attended ("We made three Final Fours and won two titles"). Otherwise it's "Duke".

Another we...

To add to the list, you can say "we" if you are watching Obama on TV and all of a sudden you blurt out, "Hey, there's Reggie Love!"

If you are emotionally invested in the team - it's definitely WE. If UNC fans give you crap - it's MOST definitely WE. YOU will never be out on that floor but your SUPPORT is what makes US - WE.

WE ARE MARSH... wait.. I meant - We ARE DUKE!!

I completely agree that "we" used to refer to a team is unprofessional and it does bother me to hear broadcasters and journalists use it to refer to the team they are covering. I also try not to use it when making objective arguments.

That said, anybody who gets their shorts in a bunch over somebody else referring to their favorite team as "we" on an internet message board is taking themselves a bit too seriously.

no offense

No offense intended The1BlueDevil, but I always have to chuckle when I hear someone take that stance of "entitlement" is perhaps a good way to put it. I know some get upset by it and take it as a personal attack on their fan hood...I just get a chuckle.