Quote Originally Posted by UConnJack View Post
    Thanks. I really wasn't trying to be rude or anything, just some lighthearted needling. And we have sucked the last few years, I'm the first to admit it.

But I must say I also got a rather snotty PM from someone here, essentially taking a low shot and telling me to go away in so many words. I used to post here occasionally before the board changed format, and I don't remember the any of the community being so intolerant of other fans (so long as they were being relatively polite and good natured).
    I want the community it know that the mods will not tolerate this kind of conduct. If you are the person who sent a threatening or mean-spirited PM to UConnJack WE ARE GOING TO DEAL WITH YOU!! If you want to be a part of DBR, you will respect rival fans who take the time to come here and post their thoughts (so long as those rival fans are good natured and come in peace).

If you sent a "snotty" PM to UConnJack, I urge you to step forward now and admit to what you did. This is a very serious crime in DBR-land.

--Jason "grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr" Evans

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I want the community it know that the mods will not tolerate this kind of conduct. If you are the person who sent a threatening or mean-spirited PM to UConnJack WE ARE GOING TO DEAL WITH YOU!! If you want to be a part of DBR, you will respect rival fans who take the time to come here and post their thoughts (so long as those rival fans are good natured and come in peace).

If you sent a "snotty" PM to UConnJack, I urge you to step forward now and admit to what you did. This is a very serious crime in DBR-land.

--Jason "grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr" Evans
    My two cents: I think PMs should be free from moderation. To me, PMs are basically private e-mails and should only concern the recipient and sender. While it's unfortunate that someone sent UConnJack a snotty e-mail, I don't think that person should be asked to come forward. Furthermore, UConnJack has a remedy readily available; he can put the sender on his PM-ignore list and never have to deal with another PM from that person again. If he doesn't care to receive PMs at all, UConnJack can just turn off that functionality altogether. Furtherfurthermore, he can also just disregard the PM after reading it. I think there's an implicit understanding that a nasty message sent in private was chosen to be sent in private instead of posted publicly because the sender is embarrassed by the message. Such messages can be disregarded completely, imo.

Maybe we can table this discussion for when the season's over. But I just wanted to get my thoughts down real quick. This is a case where the tentacles of "government" has stretched out too far for my comfort, and I don't think I've ever registered a complaint about the moderation here. I say "Booooo" to the person who sent the PM but I believe it is a private matter between the sender and UConnJack.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    My two cents: I think PMs should be free from moderation. To me, PMs are basically private e-mails and should only concern the recipient and sender. While it's unfortunate that someone sent UConnJack a snotty e-mail, I don't think that person should be asked to come forward. Furthermore, UConnJack has a remedy readily available; he can put the sender on his PM-ignore list and never have to deal with another PM from that person again. If he doesn't care to receive PMs at all, UConnJack can just turn off that functionality altogether. Furtherfurthermore, he can also just disregard the PM after reading it. I think there's an implicit understanding that a nasty message sent in private was chosen to be sent in private instead of posted publicly because the sender is embarrassed by the message. Such messages can be disregarded completely, imo.

Maybe we can table this discussion for when the season's over. But I just wanted to get my thoughts down real quick. This is a case where the tentacles of "government" has stretched out too far for my comfort, and I don't think I've ever registered a complaint about the moderation here. I say "Booooo" to the person who sent the PM but I believe it is a private matter between the sender and UConnJack.
    I have to agree with Trouble on this one. To me a PM is a private communication. IMO this is no place for moderation. I have the option to receive or not receive PM's of E-mails via the board. That is my private decision. If you don't like my PM to you, ignore it or reply to it or choose not to receive PM's. I don't think Moderator's roles are to regulate private speech conveyed via a private medium merely facilitated by the DBR board. IMO it is completely proper to use our current moderation standards on all posts on the public board.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    I have to agree with Trouble on this one. To me a PM is a private communication. IMO this is no place for moderation. I have the option to receive or not receive PM's of E-mails via the board. That is my private decision. If you don't like my PM to you, ignore it or reply to it or choose not to receive PM's. I don't think Moderator's roles are to regulate private speech conveyed via a private medium merely facilitated by the DBR board. IMO it is completely proper to use our current moderation standards on all posts on the public board.
    I would certainly discuss anything with the other mods before taking any action but I think that if someone is using the PM function to harass and chase off other posters than that is something the DBR moderators would be concerned with. It may only be my opinion, but the DBR mission of civil conversation does not end with the boards only.

The protests that "well, he could turn PMs off if someone is bothering him" is pretty weak, IMO. Are you all saying that the solution to an obnoxious poster is that the person being attacked should disable an important and useful part of this board system? Sorry, but that does not strike me as fair.

I have to tell you, as a moderator I have been copied on some nasty PMs in the past and I do consider it something we moderators have to deal with. I have never given an infraction for a PM but I have come close.

I will stop now and let other Mods weigh in on this. Truth be told, this should probably be a discussion for later, after the business of March is finished. My real intent with my note was to let everyone know that harassing and chasing off rival posters is not appropriate, even if it done via PM. Lets strive to be better than than, ok folks?

--Jason "thanks for the feedback..." Evans

It's quite appropriate to table this issue until after all the tournament action is finished. I would also say that while a PM is a private message, I don't think it's reasonable to tolerate any sort of harassment through that medium. Bringing this PM to a moderator's attention suggests that there may be a problem which needs to be checked out. If the recipient of a distasteful PM refers it to a moderator, I think the moderator should follow up .... find out what the problem is and determine whether any action is needed. There is a difference between responding to a request for follow up and moderating as is done when people post on a thread.

I appreciate the high level civility and respect associated with the "conversations" on this board.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil in the Blue Dress View Post
    It's quite appropriate to table this issue until after all the tournament action is finished. I would also say that while a PM is a private message, I don't think it's reasonable to tolerate any sort of harassment through that medium. Bringing this PM to a moderator's attention suggests that there may be a problem which needs to be checked out. If the recipient of a distasteful PM refers it to a moderator, I think the moderator should follow up .... find out what the problem is and determine whether any action is needed. There is a difference between responding to a request for follow up and moderating as is done when people post on a thread.

I appreciate the high level civility and respect associated with the "conversations" on this board.
    Agreed with Devil in the Blue Dress on this one. Also, this isn't a truly private medium it is facilitated by DBR. I don't want to send us into the PPB but...

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    I agree. Does the "P" in PM stand for private?

We Mods haven't discussed this amongst ourselves or with the owners yet, but I'm at least leaning towards Jason's position: just because the phrase "private messages" has the word "private" in it, doesn't mean posters can use the system to harass or abuse others. We have an expectation of civility in all areas of this board.

That said, in over a year of this system we've had very little reported trouble via the PM system.

Everyone, please play nicely and keep this board the best sports board out there!

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    We Mods haven't discussed this amongst ourselves or with the owners yet, but I'm at least leaning towards Jason's position: just because the phrase "private messages" has the word "private" in it, doesn't mean posters can use the system to harass or abuse others. We have an expectation of civility in all areas of this board.

That said, in over a year of this system we've had very little reported trouble via the PM system.

Everyone, please play nicely and keep this board the best sports board out there!

-jk
    Can we use it to send spam?
    ~rthomas

Quote Originally Posted by rthomas View Post
    Can we use it to send spam?
    Uh, no. Not that it hasn't been tried.

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I would certainly discuss anything with the other mods before taking any action but I think that if someone is using the PM function to harass and chase off other posters than that is something the DBR moderators would be concerned with. It may only be my opinion, but the DBR mission of civil conversation does not end with the boards only.

The protests that "well, he could turn PMs off if someone is bothering him" is pretty weak, IMO. Are you all saying that the solution to an obnoxious poster is that the person being attacked should disable an important and useful part of this board system? Sorry, but that does not strike me as fair.

I have to tell you, as a moderator I have been copied on some nasty PMs in the past and I do consider it something we moderators have to deal with. I have never given an infraction for a PM but I have come close.

I will stop now and let other Mods weigh in on this. Truth be told, this should probably be a discussion for later, after the business of March is finished. My real intent with my note was to let everyone know that harassing and chasing off rival posters is not appropriate, even if it done via PM. Lets strive to be better than than, ok folks?

--Jason "thanks for the feedback..." Evans
    I think by using the "Ignore list" (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/...hp?do=editlist ), a person can ignore PMs from a specific user and not have to forgo PMs altogether, which is a different option.

To moderate PMs or not is more a theoretical debate than anything. Because for all practical purposes, I would guess a ruling on PM moderation shouldn't have any effect on 99% of the population. I haven't received a PM in months, for instance, and it's not like I'm either going to begin a PM-binge of nasty messages nor "tattle" on those that would send me nasty messages, whichever way the moderator team decides. I would just feel better, in theory, if it's ruled that Private Messages remained private except in extraordinary cases (e.g. death threats), even if that means some PMs are nasty. I feel that recipients of nasty PMs have remedies, both in board functionality (ignore list) and mindset (don't care). A "You suck. Go away" PM is childish but easily disregarded and should remain a private matter. Just one man's opinion.

Motion to table this discussion until after the business of March/April is completed. This is an important matter, but we have a huge obstacle in front of us in a few hours in the name of West Virginia.
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

One thing I should point out: we can't see a private message unless someone forwards it to us.

When Jason talks about "moderating PMs", we can't do it solo.

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    One thing I should point out: we can't see a private message unless someone forwards it to us.

When Jason talks about "moderating PMs", we can't do it solo.

-jk
    Oh good. I was worried Throaty could see all the stuff I've been saying about him.

The person who sent the PM has told me about it and I have dealt with the situation. It appears I read more into this than was actually there as the PM was not as mean-spirited as I had feared.

The PMer is still stinging from the 30 lashings with a wet noodle as we speak

Lets now table this for a few weeks, ok?

--Jason