What it means to play "Duke Basketball"

There has been much discussion as of late about "Duke Basketball," what it entails and, in some cases, whether or not it even really exists.

When I was a camper at Duke Basketball Camp, Coach K gave a 15-minute speech on this exact subject. I've never forgotten that speech.

In it, he said that "Duke Basketball" starts first with integrity. That means respecting your opponents, your team, your teammates and coaches.

Respecting your team means that each and every time you step out on the floor with that uniform on with the words "Duke" on it, you represent "Duke Basketball." And Duke basketball starts with "D."

"Duke Basketball" starts with defense. Hard-nosed, in your face, I will DIE before I let you score defense. It continues with valuing the ball. So much so that you will sacrifice your body in order to secure the ball because you respect your team so much that the team is more important than any physical pain that may come from diving for that loose ball.

"Duke Basketball" is about playing 40 minutes. Not 20, not 25, not 35. That's 40 minutes of "Duke basketball." You don't take plays off. You don't rest on defense.

"Duke Basketball" is about understanding and respecting your role within the team. Different players have different roles and they understand that their role, whether it is to score, pass, rebound, play defense or all of the above, is the most important job on the court, and they treat it that way.

"Duke Basketball" is about imposing your will on your opponent. We don't allow another team to make us play their style of basketball. We don't play "UNC Basketball." We don't play "Maryland Basketball." We are Duke and we play "Duke Basketball." Period.

When you play "Duke Basketball," win or lose, you are proud to walk off the court because you know that you have done everything you can do to bring respect to this program.

That's what "Duke Basketball" is to me. Because that's what Coach K told me "Duke Basketball" is.

I too was a Duke basketball camp attendee for several years. I remember those speeches from K and recall sitting on the floor of Cameron tense and alert. The biggest thing that I took away from those camps was Pete Gaudet on the case of every camper telling us all to take care of the personal stuff - show up on time, be prepared, listen, be smart, own up to your responsibilities.

Those were the days. It gave me a certain attitude about basketball that seems to have carried over into other things - stick your chin out there and take your best shot every time ; success and failure is measured by the effort you give and the effect you have on those around you; communicate with your teammates.

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    I too was a Duke basketball camp attendee for several years. I remember those speeches from K and recall sitting on the floor of Cameron tense and alert. The biggest thing that I took away from those camps was Pete Gaudet on the case of every camper telling us all to take care of the personal stuff - show up on time, be prepared, listen, be smart, own up to your responsibilities.
    I went to Duke camp twice and I love Pete Gaudet. That guy was great. I hate how he got blamed for 1995.
    Last edited by JBDuke; 03-21-2008 at 06:30 PM. Reason: fixed quote tag

thanks feldspar for this post

I think it goes well with Jumbo's post about what you are doing for Duke tomorrow...

...It's always good to be reminded what it is we are rooting for...and that makes me proud

One of the best things about the board--hearing the firsthand experiences of others. Thanks for a GREAT inspiring post to set us up for tomorrow!

Thanks y'all for reminding us what the heart of Duke basketball is all about. Win or lose, they are still our Duke team regardless.

feldspar,

Thank you for that GREAT post and now, after reading that, I'm motivated to get this game going. Thanks again dude for posting that one.

Let's GO!

GO DUUUUKE!

we can do this.

dukestheheat.

I went to Duke camp twice and I love Pete Gaudet. That guy was great. I hate how he got blamed for 1995

In it, he said that "Duke Basketball" starts first with integrity. That means respecting your opponents, your team, your teammates and coaches.

Does anyone else find it ironic that these two sentences ended up in the same thread about what "Duke Basketball" is?

*Slaps Floor, Hugs Wojo*