Basketball Resources

Hey all,

So I just got back from the gym after playing one of the worst pick-up basketball games of my brief career. I was wondering if anyone knew of any good resources that I could look at to improve my game. Any books/tapes that are particularly noteworthy? Any (Durham) rec programs that a 19 year old could jump into and receive coaching?

Okay, a post from an old(er) chick. But (don't have a link) Magic Johnson put out the best BB tapes ever.

Quote Originally Posted by III View Post
    Hey all,

So I just got back from the gym after playing one of the worst pick-up basketball games of my brief career. I was wondering if anyone knew of any good resources that I could look at to improve my game. Any books/tapes that are particularly noteworthy? Any (Durham) rec programs that a 19 year old could jump into and receive coaching?
    What part of your game do you want to improve? If it's "everything" no tape is going to help you much. You just need to get in a gym, get (or stay) in good shape, shoot jumpshots till you can't miss, dribble with both hands fluently, and most importantly play basketball every chance you get.

Yeah, I've been playing as much as I can (been playing for about a year now). I know how to work on myself physically (practicing dribbling/shooting/passing/strength and conditioning). What I'm looking for is how to improve my "basketball intelligence." I'm never really sure what I'm supposed to be doing on offense, how to get open, how to drive to the basket, how to help others get open.

Watch, watch and watch some more. Listen to the commentators - they are not all great but some do give good insight. That's how I learned in junior high and high school, that and playing a lot. I did not play in college but was invited to try out by the bb coach who watched me play pickup with guys (I played tennis instead). The more you play, the more you have a feel for the game. I played pickup for a few years in my 20s with my boyfriend and his friend at the time. I felt like I was a better player then than I was in HS. Also depends a lot on with whom you are playing and how much of the game they understand. Good luck.

Pass and screen away from the ball. You cannot do that enough in a pick up basketball game. You throw it to the guy on your right, move to your left and set a screen, the guy comes off, and soon, there is synergy.

Go low to the baseline and pop out for a catch. Bounce towards one of the guys up top, look him in the eye and make a move with your eyebrows. If he needs a further hint, when you come to a jump stop, leave the ball out in front of you. When he cuts off of you, do not hand him the ball, let him go past and then flip it over your shoulder and the defender's head. Let your guy make a catch.

Did I say pass and screen away from the ball. Reminder, holding the ball for a second or two after you receive it does nobody any good if you are not prepared, I mean really prepared, to make a serious attempt at scoring the ball, which you should know before you receive it. If you are not "on," by definition you do not want to be holding it. After throwing it to someone, you know what you will be doing.

Make passes that make your teammates make catches that are athletic. Everyone enjoys to do that. Do not treat your teammates like they need to be hand fed. You might think that some of them do, but people rarely come to play unless they are far more capable then most "good" players think they are. Good players who dumb down the game for players that they think based upon looks cannot play are doing the game and their teammates a huge disservice. I SHOULD REPEAT THIS BUT I WON'T; IT IS, HOWEVER, HUGE. IT WILL MAKE OR BREAK YOUR TIME ON THE COURT.

Owe, a word about defense. Be smart about it, and help out. Do not try to make super plays. Be a pain to the offensive players when you are off the ball. Shade far enough so that you can close to stop a penetration to the basket, slow down a guy who only thinks he is going to beat your teammate.

You do the above you will leave the court having played well whether you were "on" or not. Very good chance that your side will have won more than a few as well, and will have enjoyed playing together much more than any of you expected. It will be because of you.

Don't mention it.

On Time Warner Digital Cable here in Charlotte, there is a channel way up in the hundreds of on-demand channels called Sports Skool. You can select from a dozen or so sports (BBall, Football, Yoga, etc) and on the BBall section there are 15 min videos on everything from stretching, dribbling, passing, shooting, defense and some others. Most are taught by Bill Walton, but I know one is taught by Rip Hamilton. Its FREE too.

Anyway, its a good way to get some pointers from a good source and a way to fine tune your game.

improving your game

Of the suggestions in this thread, I think the most important is to find a game with other players who know how to play the game well. Many of the good things that you can do are magnified when everyone else is on the same page.

In terms of specifics, I think you never go wrong with graybeard's advice to pass and pick away on offense. A second option is to pass and cut quickly to the basket. You can increase your value if you also look to rebound on the off-side, work hard to get back on defense, and follow the basic principles of Duke's man to man defense- pressure the ball, overplay on the ball side, and see both your man and the ball when you are playing the help side.