Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Spring Football Preview - Cutcliffe Era Begins

Spring Football Preview-Cutcliffe Era Begins Tomorrow

We interupt this basketball season for a just a few moments ...

Already ordered my family pack!

Quote Originally Posted by watzone View Post
    Spring Football Preview-Cutcliffe Era Begins Tomorrow

We interupt this basketball season for a just a few moments ...
    Thanks. I needed that!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Any way we can get a copy of the workout regimen that the football team uses? I'm looking to get in shape, and I need a great workout to grind my behind into gear.
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

I think I might go to the spring game on April 19th. The football team and Coach Cutcliffe have my support

All aboard!! I will take in my first spring game in 20 years or so. Go Duke Football!!

Wow, I'm actually excited. I'm not expecting a superstar team this year by any means, but all I wanted was a man who could coach and feel like..well...he was COACHING. I just want to see some development, progress. Just hearing how he's planning things makes me feel excited. it's one thing to say "well we're working hard and training and practicing" it's another to say "this is our plan: a: b: c: etc.".
    Go Devils!
    Duke '03
    Tent 1 '99/'00

I agree! Great to see Duke loosen the pursestrings for football. If Cutcliffe and company can't make us winners, then we can assume Duke just can't win at football.

Has anyone heard anything positive or negative about Riley or Kelly?

Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post
    I agree! Great to see Duke loosen the pursestrings for football. If Cutcliffe and company can't make us winners, then we can assume Duke just can't win at football.
    I agree with your point, but even if Cutcliffe were to crash and burn let's hope we never assume that about Duke!

Steve Spurrier won with minimal finances, no Yoh Center, smart kids, a knack for recruiting, and a coaching style well chronicled.

If Coach Cutcliffe changes the fortunes of Duke football, great, that is why he was hired. If he's not successful, it's because he also could not recruit or coach. Simple as that.

As for a bowl game this season, whoa Nellie. He may be good, the kids may shed lots of weight, he may get them to perform to a higher level, but lets not get too carried away. He's coaching great kids, but look at their track record. Let's support the hell out of this team, but let's also be realistic.

Quote Originally Posted by bdh21 View Post
    I agree with your point, but even if Cutcliffe were to crash and burn let's hope we never assume that about Duke!
    I fully expect Duke to improve dramatically. I think we will see some obvious improvement in the fall, and it will translate into enough wins to get the ball rolling in the right direction. I won't predict the number of wins, but with a little luck I think we could at least flirt with a .500 record.

To PDDuke85. Spurrier won for the most part with players recruited by somebody else. But your point still is valid. Why can't we do it again, and reach even higher?

Quote Originally Posted by PDDuke85 View Post
    Steve Spurrier won with minimal finances, no Yoh Center, smart kids, a knack for recruiting, and a coaching style well chronicled.
    Spurrier would be the first to tell you that he wouldn't even bother trying to replicate those feats at Duke today were it not for Duke's newfound commitment to football...and with that newfound commitment, Spurrier knows Duke can be a winner again.

Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post
    I fully expect Duke to improve dramatically. I think we will see some obvious improvement in the fall, and it will translate into enough wins to get the ball rolling in the right direction. I won't predict the number of wins, but with a little luck I think we could at least flirt with a .500 record.
    In a previous post i said:

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedawg View Post
    Wins next year:

Northwestern
    Navy
    James Madison
    North Carolina
    @ Wake Forest
    North Carolina State

Long shots:
    @ Clemson [only because it is in death Valley]
    @ Virginia Tech [ditto, its at their House]
    Virginia
    And i stand by that still.

Quote Originally Posted by PDDuke85 View Post

If Coach Cutcliffe changes the fortunes of Duke football, great, that is why he was hired. If he's not successful, it's because he also could not recruit or coach. Simple as that.

As for a bowl game this season, whoa Nellie. He may be good, the kids may shed lots of weight, he may get them to perform to a higher level, but lets not get too carried away. He's coaching great kids, but look at their track record. Let's support the hell out of this team, but let's also be realistic.
    Coach conceded that Duke may be the least talented team in the league, but he had an answer for that. "We just have to become the best in the league at a lot of things. We just have to make the plays at opportune times to win games. He went on, "We've got enough good football players to win. Let's stop making excuses."
    http://myblogdevils.eponym.com/blog/...8/3588765.html
    I think winning is being realistic.

In the next recruiting class is Cutcliffe recruiting any high profile players?

Quote Originally Posted by pless55 View Post
    In the next recruiting class is Cutcliffe recruiting any high profile players?
    In this class he has 6-4, 210 pound Sean Renfree.

2008 Scout.com HS Football Rankings:
    Pos: QB Pos Rank: #10 Pos Rating: 4 stars
    Randez James
    2008 Scout.com HS Football Rankings:
    Pos: CB Pos Rank: PG Pos Rating: 4 stars
    I think Randez is a TR recruit

And 5 3 star recruits [http://duke.scout.com/a.z?s=167&p=9&c=8&yr=2008]

Wherever the wind blows and the leaves dance.

Talent

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedawg View Post
    Originally Posted by Bluedawg
    Wins next year:

Northwestern
    Navy
    James Madison
    North Carolina
    @ Wake Forest
    North Carolina State

Long shots:
    @ Clemson [only because it is in death Valley]
    @ Virginia Tech [ditto, its at their House]
    Virginia

I think Duke wins 3-4 games next year, which is a step in the right direction. I think they should win all three against NW, Navy, and JMU but will probably drop one they shouldn't as they learn how to win close games. Then I think they win one or two that they shoudn't as the team is getting better and might suprise some teams in the ACC. Duke's talent is still significantly behind the rest of the ACC and that in the end is the biggest factor in collegiate sports and something that is gradually changing.

Quote Originally Posted by whereinthehellami View Post
    I think Duke wins 3-4 games next year, which is a step in the right direction. I think they should win all three against NW, Navy, and JMU but will probably drop one they shouldn't as they learn how to win close games. Then I think they win one or two that they shoudn't as the team is getting better and might suprise some teams in the ACC. Duke's talent is still significantly behind the rest of the ACC and that in the end is the biggest factor in collegiate sports and something that is gradually changing.
    A friend of mine, who lives and breathes UNC, as called for 8-9 Duke wins next year.

I think Duke may well start 3-0. The key game is the first one against a dangerous lower division team. Duke could find a couple of more wins too.

Most of the prognosticators will have Duke going 3-8 ish, but 5 or 6 wins could happen. I still feel the team needs another good recruiting class and do not want to put lofty expectations on them just yet.

I will have a better feel after the first scrimmage.

FWIW - I see Duke as favorites (but not outragwously) at home versus JM, Northwestern and Navy. I think they can play with UVA, UNC, Wake and State and beat them on a given day. Vandy will be tough on the road, but Cutcliffe knows their team.