"Green" remodeling

This board is a veritable cornucopia of hidden (non-DBR-related) talents; I'm wondering if anyone can chime in on the following:

Mr. DA and I are wanting to do some serious remodeling of our upstairs -- taking out a couple of walls, lengthening a roof beam/changing the roof line, completely gutting and remodeling the kitchen -- plus install hardwood flooring, replace the furnace, the windows, and the old water heater.

I would like to do this with some semblance of "green" in the project -- using recycled/recyclable materials; reducing our carbon footprint; limiting harmful chemicals, etc. I'm having a hard time explaining why this is important to me (other than, "it just is") --

So, does anyone have any good journals/articles/sites on the benefits/importance of "green" building? Anything that's better at explaining what "green" building really is? Any good starter tips on how to find "green" resources, etc?

Also, feel free to share your remodeling horror stories here.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilAlumna View Post
    This board is a veritable cornucopia of hidden (non-DBR-related) talents; I'm wondering if anyone can chime in on the following:

Mr. DA and I are wanting to do some serious remodeling of our upstairs -- taking out a couple of walls, lengthening a roof beam/changing the roof line, completely gutting and remodeling the kitchen -- plus install hardwood flooring, replace the furnace, the windows, and the old water heater.

I would like to do this with some semblance of "green" in the project -- using recycled/recyclable materials; reducing our carbon footprint; limiting harmful chemicals, etc. I'm having a hard time explaining why this is important to me (other than, "it just is") --

So, does anyone have any good journals/articles/sites on the benefits/importance of "green" building? Anything that's better at explaining what "green" building really is? Any good starter tips on how to find "green" resources, etc?

Also, feel free to share your remodeling horror stories here.
    Co-op America has some excellent resources. For example, a search on their Green Pages turned up a Green supplier in Seattle called ecohaus.
    As for the benefits, are better health, saving money, and saving the planet not enough???
    The Gordog

Quote Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
    Funny you should mention this! I loved the TOH Austin "Green" remodel show/series, so this was the first site I checked out.

If anyone is interested, in my research last night, I also ran across the LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) certification for green remodeling.
    http://www.greenhomeguide.org/guide_...ion/index.html

And thanks, Gordog, for the Ecohaus link! I'd heard of Environmental Home Center but hadn't had time to check it out yet -- looks like that may be where I need to head this weekend!

Just saw this - Green building is a fascination of mine. Here are some resources:

www.treehugger.com
    www.inhabitat.com
    www.greenbuildingtalk.com
    www.motherearthnews.com

Hope they help. I can point to some specific spots for flooring and materials, too if you would like.

Exiled

Smile Checking alma mater

Check out this project at Pratt:
    http://www.smarthome.duke.edu/program/

Couldn't resist mentioning this program.

LGD!

Cheers,
    Lavabe

DA, how goes the green remodeling?

Greensburg

You might also follow the progress in rebuilding Greensburg, KS. A tornado wiped out the town a year ago and they are rebuilding as a green community. I believe they are running a series on the CBS morning show about it this week.