USBWA All-Americans

All-America team

FWIW.

First Team
    D.J. Augustin, G, Texas, So.
    Michael Beasley, F, Kansas State, Fr.
    Chris Douglas-Roberts, G, Memphis, Jr.
    Tyler Hansbrough, F, North Carolina, Jr.
    Kevin Love, C, UCLA, Fr.

Second Team
    Shan Foster, G/F, Vanderbilt, Sr.
    Luke Harangody, F, Notre Dame, So.
    Chris Lofton, G, Tennessee, Sr.
    A.J. Price, G, Connecticut, Jr.
    D.J. White, F, Indiana, Sr.
    Last edited by JasonEvans; 03-17-2008 at 03:58 PM. Reason: Easier to read

Is Lofton even the best player on his own team?

Is DJ White even the best player on his team?

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    Is Lofton even the best player on his own team?
    Lofton seems very dubious to me also. He scored a couple of more points a game than Tyler Smith (16.1 to 13.6) but Tyler Smith had twice as many rebounds (6.8 to 3.2) and assists (3.5 to 1.8) than Lofton and just seemed to be more important to Tennessee in every game that I watched.

I'll be honest in that I haven't seen UConn play much this year but AJ Price's stats seem pretty ordinary. Sean Singletary and Tyrese Rice both have almost identical assist/gm total (6.0 Price, 6.0 Singletary, 5.0 Rice) stats and scored significantly more points (14.9, 19.9, 21.0, respectively). I know that BC and UVa were not good and I can see rewarding a player like Mario Chalmers with OK stats, which are similar to those of Price, on a first-place #1 seed team. But does leading a UConn team to a #4 seed and 4th place Big East finish really give him that much of a bump?

I guess the fact that he missed the first nine games of the year for academic reasons must have been held against Brook Lopez because I can't see keeping him off the 2nd team based on the games that he played.

Aside from Harangody, the 2nd teamers strike me as 2nd team All-Conference kids, not 2nd team All-Americans.

Heck, if anyone payed attention to defense, I think Markie coulda made 2nd team.

--Jason "weak list" EVans

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    All-America team

FWIW.

First Team
    D.J. Augustin, G, Texas, So.
    Michael Beasley, F, Kansas State, Fr.
    Chris Douglas-Roberts, G, Memphis, Jr.
    Tyler Hansbrough, F, North Carolina, Jr.
    Kevin Love, C, UCLA, Fr.

Second Team
    Shan Foster, G/F, Vanderbilt, Sr.
    Luke Harangody, F, Notre Dame, So.
    Chris Lofton, G, Tennessee, Sr.
    A.J. Price, G, Connecticut, Jr.
    D.J. White, F, Indiana, Sr.
    Watching DJ Augustin for 5 minutes at the end of the Kansas-Texas game on Sunday, he was awful-- if that's all he's got, I don't get the rave reviews: Texas down 4 with the ball and 1:10 to go; they inbound to him after a timeout, and he insists on doing a couple of silly crossover dribbles (which do nothing to get him open), then jacks up a 3-pointer from 4 feet beyond the arc, with a taller player right in his face-- of course he misses, and at the next break, his coach reams him out for being incredibly stupid; then, on the next possession, down 5, he drives the lane and passes off-- right into the arms of a waiting Kansas defender... game over, Texas goes on to lose by 10.

I think Augustin and Kevin Love should be banned from consideration merely because of the cheesy, fake Amish farmer, C. Everett Koop-style, Justin Timbertrash beards they both have. (That and I don't think Love is as good as advertised, either-- but we'll soon find out, won't we?)
    Last edited by -jk; 03-17-2008 at 10:36 PM. Reason: language

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Aside from Harangody, the 2nd teamers strike me as 2nd team All-Conference kids, not 2nd team All-Americans.

Heck, if anyone payed attention to defense, I think Markie coulda made 2nd team.

--Jason "weak list" EVans
    I actually had a USBWA ballot and had Markie on my list of ten. I had all of the first team and two of the second five. I didn't choose DJ White, AJ Price or Chris Loftin.

Smart moves, Watzone. You're the MAN! You know more than the rest of us combined. So...your thoughts on Duke in the tourney......and also any input about Duke football. (...and yes, I subscribe to your amazing site, but do you want to share some thoughts on DBR?) Pleeeeeze.

Quote Originally Posted by Mudge View Post
    Watching DJ Augustin for 5 minutes at the end of the Kansas-Texas game on Sunday, he was awful-- if that's all he's got, I don't get the rave reviews: Texas down 4 with the ball and 1:10 to go; they inbound to him after a timeout, and he insists on doing a couple of silly crossover dribbles (which do nothing to get him open), then jacks up a 3-pointer from 4 feet beyond the arc, with a taller player right in his face-- of course he misses, and at the next break, his coach reams him out for being incredibly stupid; then, on the next possession, down 5, he drives the lane and passes off-- right into the arms of a waiting Kansas defender... game over, Texas goes on to lose by 10.

I think Augustin and Kevin Love should be banned from consideration merely because of the cheesy, fake Amish farmer, C. Everett Koop-style, Justin Timbertrash beards they both have. (That and I don't think Love is as good as advertised, either-- but we'll soon find out, won't we?)
    Sounds like you have a strong basis for disliking Augustin's game.