View Poll Results: Does being disappointed in this team or season indicate we're spoiled?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yep - our sense of entitlement has caused us to lose perspective

6 24.00%
  • Nope - it's reasonable and rational to be disappointed with this year's results.

19 76.00%

Question "disappointed" = spoiled?

Every loss is a disappointement, at least to me. Fortunately, we've been so blessed the past 20 years as to have had few runs of significant disappointment.

Anyway, I can understand being disappointed about the loss today. However, I'm unable to empathize with the posts stating that the SEASON is a disappointment or that this team is a disappointment.

We won 20+ games and earned a 6 seed in the dance - better than all but 23 teams in the country. To me, this highlights just how spoiled we've become by the dominance we've experienced of late. When we have a season that allows us 22 wins against a schedule like ours, I don't understand how anyone can rationally be disappointed by the season or team.

s.i.
    Last edited by SeattleIrish; 03-16-2007 at 03:02 AM.

I say no. Depends on personnel, talent, and progress. We badly underperformed. When's the last time we fell so far below what those who hate us (the media) predicted for us early in the season? For a couple decades now we've consistently outperformed expectations during our "down" or "rebuiling" years. This team lost games it should have won like no Duke team in recent history (ok, except for maybe the 2 the '99 team lost, but I've forgiven that with time).

We're horribly spoiled, don't get me wrong. 22 wins would have been a good season my first year as a fan. But disappointment in this years team is unrelated.

Definitely spoiled... past success was in a different college basketball environment. The challenge now is to get a 3-4 year player... which will obviously need time to grow and improve, as opposed to the mega-talented 1-and-done player. And, this year is really the first-to-second year... so give Duke a couple of years, and the "new foundation" will be in place, and we can all go back to being "spoiled"... (my 2 cents)

I wouldn't do as far as creating a bare equivalence between disappointed and spoiled. It's possible to participate in the first a little bit without achieving the second.

That said, the behavior of our fans in the aggregate has been downright embarrassing this year. (And far more "disappointing," at least to me, than the performance of our men's basketball team). One would think 1995 had just recurred.
    Last edited by throatybeard; 03-16-2007 at 07:11 AM.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Throaty,

Agreed. Except I will always point out 1974 as the nadir of Duke basketball in my lifetime.

Bob Green
    Yokosuka, Japan

I wouldn't disagree with that. Anybody who's been around since then would list that season.

It had its high point though: the program's 1000th win.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine