Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Trinity '97, Tent #1 '97
    Tampa

Where in the heck is Gus Johnson in the mix??!! I LOVE listening to that guy do games.

Coverage maps for Thursday

Here is a link to coverage maps showing which games will be shown in which markets. The 7:10 window (Duke's game) is shown below.

The constant regions for each game indicate areas that won't be switched from their primary game to another game.
    Courtesy of Awful Announcing and MUscoop

Vent your CBS/NCAA Tourney Coverage Rage - Here

I'll start.

Stupid Local CBS Channel seems to think that although they have three channels devoted to airing tourney games, they have to show the stupid Wash State game on two of them, and the USC game on the other, thus leaving no room for the Duke game!!!

Gawd, I hate Pac-10 country.

Angry 27 minutes max

DA: You forget that even if you were in the region where they show the opening Duke game, it's CBS.

What's the over/under as to the number of game minutes they will actually show us the Duke game? In blow outs, remember that earlier in the year, they cut away early in the second half of St. John's. If the game is not a blow out, CBS also has the tendency to be sure that we see action from EVERY active game, while sacrificing the game you were watching.

I DO know that we will not get a full game on TV in the opening round. I just hope it's for the blowout reason.

LGD!
    Lavabe

Quote Originally Posted by DevilAlumna View Post
    I'll start.

Stupid Local CBS Channel seems to think that although they have three channels devoted to airing tourney games, they have to show the stupid Wash State game on two of them, and the USC game on the other, thus leaving no room for the Duke game!!!

Gawd, I hate Pac-10 country.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    DA: You forget that even if you were in the region where they show the opening Duke game, it's CBS.

What's the over/under as to the number of game minutes they will actually show us the Duke game? In blow outs, remember that earlier in the year, they cut away early in the second half of St. John's. If the game is not a blow out, CBS also has the tendency to be sure that we see action from EVERY active game, while sacrificing the game you were watching.

I DO know that we will not get a full game on TV in the opening round. I just hope it's for the blowout reason.

LGD!
    Lavabe
    Head to a Sports bar that has DirecTV. They have the packages where they show each game in its entirety, and none of them will be cut off. Also, you can head to the internet. http://ncaasports.com/mmod. I believe you had to register, so I'm not sure if it's too late, but they will show every game for free as well.
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by blazindw View Post
    Head to a Sports bar that has DirecTV. They have the packages where they show each game in its entirety, and none of them will be cut off. Also, you can head to the internet. http://ncaasports.com/mmod. I believe you had to register, so I'm not sure if it's too late, but they will show every game for free as well.
    Will try out the web site for the Belmont game. Thank you very much.

On Saturday, assuming Duke beats Belmont, a core group of the Atlanta DBR Mafia is trying to get together at a sports bar. Of course the downside is that there's a large Duke Hatred Tsunami out there, so hopefully all will be safe.

Cheers,
    Lavabe

About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.
    Quote Originally Posted by blazindw View Post
    Even this isn't a guarantee. If your local CBS station has the game, that site is blacked out on the DirecTV channel, and my experience has been that if the local channel switches, DirecTV isn't too speedy about un-blacking out the satellite channel. I've missed a lot of Duke first round action this way.
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

CBS vs. ESPN coverage

It's a shame that the NIT will get better coverage than the NCAA's. Unfortunately, the NCAA doesn't appear as interested in building its franchise with its decision to sell the rights to CBS. The fans then have to suffer because CBS doesn't own cable channels where it can farm out other regional games. Since this is all about the $, I don't expect this ever to change. Alas . . .

Teton Jack

Does anyone know if there is a map that shows what game will be the (primary) game shown in which regions of the country?

I'll be the one to throw a little support to CBS. We do not get the Duke game here in Denver (I have an interview this afternoon and might have to miss the first half anyway), which sucks, but I think CBS does a good job distributing the games. They can't make everybody happy in every market and I appreciate that they do keep viewers constantly updated on the happenings in other games. They also switch off of blowouts to more competitive games and/or big upsets. Sure it's about money, but so what? The NCAA tournament is big business and making money and providing a good selection of games are not mutually exclusive. I wish I didn't have to go to a bar to watch Duke tonight, but it happens.

Further, if you have DirectTV (which I don't) you can order the first 3 rounds in their entirety for a pretty reasonable fee (or at least it was reasonable a decade ago when I would order it at my parent's house).

Yeah, I wish it was possible to choose which game you watch, but I do appreciate the constantly-updated scores on the screen. I'll be watching online again this year, though!

Mega March Madness

Quote Originally Posted by rockymtn devil View Post
    Further, if you have DirectTV (which I don't) you can order the first 3 rounds in their entirety for a pretty reasonable fee (or at least it was reasonable a decade ago when I would order it at my parent's house).
    DirecTV is all I get here in the inter-mountain region (Steamboat). I bought the Mega March Madness package for $69.99 -- a heck of a lot cheaper than flying back to DC for the game. I'll let you know if it it up to snuff -- i..e., all games for all 40 minutes; mostly HDTV; no confusion in finding the channel (702-706).

sagegrouse

I have purchased MMM on Directv the last couple of years. It has been pretty darn good. The only complaint I have is that they black out the broadcast that is carried by your local station. I wish they wouldn't do that, because the MMM picture quality is better. Also, they invariably switch over to another game in the early rounds, and sometimes they are a little slow to "unblackout" the MMM channels. Overall, I give it a 95%. It's great to be able to watch the game I choose to watch early in the tournament, as opposed to the game some program manager thinks I want to watch.

IF we win tonight, this will not be a problem on Saturday. We would be the only game at 2:10.
    Trinity '97, Tent #1 '97
    Tampa

Wherever the wind blows and the leaves dance.

Thumbs down CBS and DirecTV

CBS sucks hard. Even their website sucks compared to ESPN. Billy Packer. Greg Doyel. Nuff said.

DirecTV's package stinks because they switch the games and oftern show the same game on multiple channels. I did it one year and was charged for two years after that despite not ordering it. They told me that it was up to me to call them and tell that I did not want that again. Big pain in the butt. This was a few years ago but it really soured me to how they do their business.

I haven't heard Packer's voice yet but I'm already sick of him.

cbs coverage map

Here's a link to a cbs coverage map, so you can see what game they'll show at what time (and then of course, switch). In any case, this is the cbs plan:

http://www.collegehoopsnet.com/new/c...et-watch-42170

Living in Nashville...

I should get the Duke game in its entirety. Vandy, the Vols and Memphis are not on until Friday so Belmont will be the game everyone here.

When the schedules came out, I was excited to see that we didn't play opposit Kansas so there was a chance the Duke game would be shown. Then I looked further - we play at the same time as K State so not on local TV.

Guess I'll go to Maundy Thursday service at church instead. I'll be praying for a victory.

GTH, C, GTH
    GTH, C, GTH